Okay, we all came accross a song way too hard for our current skills to play, at least once in our guitarist life. For example, I can play Metallica songs pretty easily, but when I try most of Children of Bodom's song, it's just way too hard. What I'm wondering tho is the choice I would have to make in these situations. What do you guys recommend. Should I keep up with songs I can actually play with my current skills(note that this way I think it just won't make you better), or should I kick my ass and force myself to keep it up with hard songs, until I can play them good. Basicly when these situations happens, do you keep going with songs of your level until you are better, or do you just practice these hard riffs until you get them right?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Practice the hard riffs, gotta push yourself!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
spend like 2 hours learning harder and harder stuff.in my first 3 months i learned metallica,sweeping,and paul gilbert stuff spending like 4 to 6 hours a day playing.anyways,if you are having trouble don't play metallica for a week.the picking patterns they use really get in your muscle memory and that will be all you can play for a while.
Quote by athlete1
spend like 2 hours learning harder and harder stuff.in my first 3 months i learned metallica,sweeping,and paul gilbert stuff spending like 4 to 6 hours a day playing.anyways,if you are having trouble don't play metallica for a week.the picking patterns they use really get in your muscle memory and that will be all you can play for a while.

Yeah I was in my Metallica phase when I started guitar. Now that I recently started again(to be honest CoB is my motivation). I do not want to play these Metallica songs, but it's pretty much all I learned at the time(with some Megadeth). I read the thread about the 21-days thingy, and what I find hard is playing the same riff over and over again for an hour at a slow pace, perfectly. The riffs I'm trying it on, I can play them at slow speed, but playing it for an hour straight... I don't know. When I see I can play it easily at a slow speed, it just makes me want to play it faster straight away. If I can add, I don't even know if I'm making any improvements at all. There's two songs from CoB I can play, Are you dead yet(not perfectly), and Angel's don't kill(which is much easier). I've been trying for some other songs, but it's discouraging to see you're not improving.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I balance it out some...cuase you gotta have fun while your practicing, so I'll practice realy hard on a difficult song for say 45 mins a day, but then I'll play songs I know realy well, and just have some fun, if you spend all your time trying somthing thats realy hard, your going to get frustrated, and that can just slow your learning.
Quote by HLrocker
I balance it out some...cuase you gotta have fun while your practicing, so I'll practice realy hard on a difficult song for say 45 mins a day, but then I'll play songs I know realy well, and just have some fun, if you spend all your time trying somthing thats realy hard, your going to get frustrated, and that can just slow your learning.

Basicly, that's the problem. I'd start with playing these two songs, but then, the only other interesting riffs I could try are just too hard. As I'm really into that band lately, that's all I feel like playing, but my repertory only contains 2 songs. Another problem is the fact that most of the riffs I can play, are riffs from different songs. For example, I can play a riff from a song, but the rest of the song gives me big probs. All this often leads in me picking up my guitar, playing 2 songs and a few riffs, and then getting bored.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Use Guitar Pro or Powertab and loop the hard section, then slow it down and practice slowly building up speed.
It doesn't really matter. What's the meaning of a "hard" vs an "easy" song?
Well, if you break it down properly, a hard song will have a much longer list
of problems you'd have to solve (and perhaps in a certain order), than an easier
song.

Either way, you're going to have to solve some problems, the only questions are
how long you're willing to wait before you can "play" it properly and how much
work you want to put into it.

Of critical importance is "break it down properly". You need to break it down to
the point where you can immediately start working on things within your capability
so you can begin to take baby steps in the right direction.

I'm willing to bet you also probably have a pretty good list of problems in the
so called easy songs you know which you either have ignored or aren't aware of.
Working on those might be the best place to start.
once again, edg is in the right direction.

i'm of the personal opinion that if ya play the way you've always played, yer gonna sound how you've always sounded. so if you do find something thats too hard for you, then thats good i think (it keeps a guitarist humble) you take it, break it down into something you can start working on. ie, lets say theres a long sweep picked passage that goes through 12 arpeggiated chords and yer like me and you SUCK at sweeping. well you take the first four chords and do them mind numbingly slowly, 'til your hands are comfortable with the movement, maybe not even at full speed or even really close, but at a speed you can do them comfortably without messing up at all. then you add the next passage, rinse and repeat. do this till you have that entire portion down and then you can start practicing it at the speed at which you're comfortable and slowly working up your speed as you get more comfortable and accurate with it.

notice how i mentioned being comfortable like 8 times up there? thats because its really THAT important.
Thanks for the advices guys. To be honest, I always practiced at slow speed, but I'll work on what you said.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.