I bought a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT over the summer and I've been experimenting with it a lot, but I can't seem to get the sounds I want out of it. I'm using an Epiphone LP Standard plain top with stock pickups. I was told that replacing pickups wouldn't make too terribly much of a difference with this amp, but I'm still considering replacing them with perhaps with a some 59's in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck. But anyway, that's not what I'm asking about.

I find that a lot of the amp models sound very electronic-like when I have more than just a little bit of gain. A lot of times if there's any gain at all, bending two strings at the same time will make it sound very electronic and I will hear the gain moan in a clicking fashion. Not the good moan, but a bad moan. I'm not really sure how to describe it. Single notes sound good, but playing a couple notes at the same time often sound very bad and electronic like.

I've heard that there are a few ways to improve the quality of the amp; one is to replace the stock tube and the other is to replace the speaker.

Would you suggest doing one or the other? Or would you suggest doing both? Neither? Also, would you suggest replacing those pickups?

If you would suggest replacing the tube or the speaker, what tube/speaker would you go with? If it helps, I like blues, all types of rock, and pretty much any type of music.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: Check out this video. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-7.php I don't know what he did to make his sound that good, but mine doesn't sound anywhere near that good.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Sep 28, 2007,
I have the 15VT, and I just have my mids dropped and bass and treble on high. I turned the volume knob all the way up, and gain to halfway, and I just control the rest with the Master Control. As for the effects sounding electronic, I haven't really had this problem. It could be your pickups though. I don't know who told you that the pickups wouldn't effect your tone, because they were wrong. Switching out the pickups will most likely help the most, because Epi's standard humbuckers are a little weak.
You have discovered the problem with modeling/solid-state amps. Anything you do will only yield minimal results. The best thing is probably to not use the amp's distortion, run a good pedal on the clean channel and save up for a tube combo. There are better solid-state amps out there but none of them great. Might as well move up instead of horizontal. Your ears are telling you something. I don't like telling anyone these things and there are some who may disagree but I hate to see you waste your time and money.
im a beleiver that tone comes out of your fingers... but anyway besides that, try tweaking with the settings a bit more.
I have the ad30vt and I think I might know what your talking about. it happened with mine the amp would sound "unpleasant" and clip bad when I used the gain settings like Boutique OD or High Gain and stuff.
After a while I found the amp sounds best when played on the lighter cleaner stuff, the AC30 sounds wonderful and you can use the "gain" knob to get a nice crunch, instead of just going to a high gain setting for the heavier stuff.

Same with the Tweed settings and such two of my favorites, I usually don't go past the AC30 and if I need heavier i'll go up to UK 80's.

Also try to mess with the EQ, I like to keep the treble high up and the mid low, just experiment around.

Anywho that's my two cents.

And to quote uldhppi, I agree, I wouldn't use the AD valvetronix for heavier stuff alone, for the real leads I like to put a DS-1 in front of it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 28, 2007,
er....i don't know what you mean by electronic? but i agree, there's only like 4 models i use on there, and i never use the presets, changing pickups WILL have an effect, i have a few guitars and you can tell my agile's pickups are really low output, it hardly pushes my amp, while my ibanez you can hear the characteristics of their stock pickups (aka not that impressive, lol), while the JB's i have drive it and produce their typical tone, long story short, it register's pickup changes decently, not as dramatic as a really good tube amp though, the speaker and tube will have a moderate effect on the tone
^Good link. Might be worth a try. There are definitely measurable differences in different brands of tubes.
Um, I think if you're gonna replace something you want to replace the speaker. Changing the tube sounds good, but the speaker will make more of a difference (assuming you can't go all tube). PM Dirk Gently, I'm pretty sure he replaced his speaker. Just ask him what he thinks.
Ben
Quote by uldhppi
You have discovered the problem with modeling/solid-state amps. Anything you do will only yield minimal results. The best thing is probably to not use the amp's distortion, run a good pedal on the clean channel and save up for a tube combo. There are better solid-state amps out there but none of them great. Might as well move up instead of horizontal. Your ears are telling you something. I don't like telling anyone these things and there are some who may disagree but I hate to see you waste your time and money.

What tube combos would you recommend?
Quote by FRDesign
Valve Jr, Its Cheap.

Would a 5 watt amp be loud enough for small gigs? Or should I go with the Valve standard?
Before you start spending money trying to modify the amp, you should sit down and spend a lot of time messing around with the settings.
When I first got my marshall (one of the old MG series) I was getting horrible sounds from it and it took a long time for me to get the tone I wanted from it. and this was just messing around with the bass, mid, treble and gain knobs.
You have all those different amp models to choose from so have a hell of a lot more to mess around with. A friend of mine has the 30watt version of your amp and after trying it out I did find some of the sounds to be unpleasant. I also found some of them to sound fantastic after some tweaking (particularly the US hi-gain or whatever its called....).
If it's really sounding as bad as you say, you may be trying to get a certain tone from an amp model that really isn't designed to give it.
If you really do find nothing you're happy with, trade it in for another amp.
The amplifier is (in my opinion) the main part of your tone, followed closely by the guitar. Replacing speakers and tubes may make a great tone sound even better, but it will not create a drastic change. Also, unless the pickups you're using are really really bad (like the ones on some of the lower priced beginner guitars) upgrading them won't help things much either.

One last thing.. there's a knob on the back of the amp that controls power. Set it to zero, then set the amp volume near maximum. Then increase the power knob until the amp at the volume you want. This lets you drive the tube as if the amp is on full blast, without the ridiculous volume. I hear that improves the tone