Page 1 of 2
considering its still $500 you can get a small all tube that will rape that flexwave tonewise
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Stay away from 100 watt solidstate halfstacks unless they are high-end. Look for tube combos in the same price range.
nay.
Thats like upgrading from diet rite to tab.
Go buy a blues jr, or a crate polamino
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i say yay. i have that exact amp and have had it for three months and it sounds EXACTLY like a tube amp. its 120 watts and amazing clean. distortions not the best though but if you put the settings just right it sounds great. i use a boss ds-1 and i no i sound cheap but it is great.
I'm not worried about the clean/dist channels. And I don't want a tube amp, either. If I get a tube amp, I'm going to buy a really expensive/nice one (when I have the money, of course)

I just want something that gives me credit for 4 years of non-stop playing, because the amp I have now doesn't do me a shred of justice.

Everything I play sounds like it's being performed by chainsaws.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
get it. u wont be dissapointed. sum advice first try to go to a guitar center and try one out. i got mine there.
Personally, I shudder when i hear/read the words cheap and half-stack used together in the same sentence because I've never seen/heard a good half-stack for cheap.

So, my opinion would be nay.
Nay. If you want something that really justifies good playing, a tube amp is the way to go. You can get a decent one, like the palomino, for the same price or maybe even cheaper. Then when you have said money, you can get an even nicer tube amp, and have two very usable giggable amps to use. Plus the tube combo will be easier to carry around.
Nay. Get a nice little tube combo (blues jr, etc) or keep saving.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Personally, I shudder when i hear/read the words cheap and half-stack used together in the same sentence because I've never seen/heard a good half-stack for cheap.

So, my opinion would be nay.

i didnt belive it either when i saw it on musicians friend. but this is the first one. trust me.
At 4 years of playing your ears will very soon tell you that you spent good money on a great big amp that can be destroyed by a little bitty tube combo. They are muddy, when you crank them they clip, and they get lost in a full band setting. Go hear some bands that use them. You get 25 feet away and its a wall of noise. You can pick up an old used Crate 212 combo easily for $50-150 USD. I see them all the time. At that price it may make sense. I have one myself and I like it, but it is what it is. I sure wouldn't drop five bills for it. I know its counter-intuitive but the older Crates sound better than the new ones, and they are louder. You can save yourself a lot of green by going used.
Quote by uldhppi
At 4 years of playing your ears will very soon tell you that you spent good money on a great big amp that can be destroyed by a little bitty tube combo. They are muddy, when you crank them they clip, and they get lost in a full band setting. Go hear some bands that use them. You get 25 feet away and its a wall of noise. You can pick up an old used Crate 212 combo easily for $50-150 USD. I see them all the time. At that price it may make sense. I have one myself and I like it, but it is what it is. I sure wouldn't drop five bills for it. I know its counter-intuitive but the older Crates sound better than the new ones, and they are louder. You can save yourself a lot of green by going used.

i agree with the "get it used save money" thing but this amp is great quality.
Quote by coryklok
i agree with the "get it used save money" thing but this amp is great quality.

No it isn't - it's pretty crappy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it isn't - it's pretty crappy.

have you ever thought you just suck at playing
Quote by coryklok
have you ever thought you just suck at playing

Have you ever thought you just suck at comebacks?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Its not great quality. I have been dealing with multiple Crates of every model for years and I have yet to find one that's good quality. Cold-solder joints, cheap crap speakers, compressed sawdust cabinets, etc. Every time one breaks (and it happens a lot) and you take it to a tech they will tell you its not worth fixing. The oldest functioning Crate (1994) I have ever seen has been mine, and the chorus effect only works half the time, one speaker had to be replaced. If you don't believe me ask an amp tech. All I'm saying is not to drop that kind of money on one. You hook that thing up with players who have tubes and they will laugh. No joke.
Quote by coryklok
ive been playing for 6 1/2 years. i no a good amp when i see one.

I've been playing for 18 years, I know a piece of junk when I hear one.

I also know what a dictionary is...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yah, the Palominos have a pretty good rep, like a higher gain blues Jr.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I've been playing for 18 years, I know a piece of junk when I hear one.

I also know what a dictionary is...

I've been alive for 16 years. I know an asshole when i see one.
well lemme see. uldhppi's been playing since umm 1967.

ive got like 12yrs, i dont know, probably more, and marks a really great dancer, so if u add all that together, u come out with a big nay.

palomino is nice.

what music do you play? are you in a band? what's ur budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Tone-wise?

Quality-wise?

And how loud is 15 watts tube? In comparison to a normal watt amp?

edit: I play metal, I am in a band, and I can spend between 300-530~ dollars US.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
it's loud enough to get over subtle drummer, meduim bass player.

it's got some gain, so it's more versatile than a blues junior.

and it's a little less solid as compared to a blues jr. but, not a bad investment quality wise.

really, if u look at the other questions, ill look around. because if u play heavier music, there are some quality SS out there, and more suitable, tube amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I need a loud amp, man. That's why I wanted the Crate. I need something that's good tone-wise and very loud. The venues I play require a loud amp, they have crap surround sounds etc...

Plus my drummer/bassist play really loud. So does my lead.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
I need a loud amp, man. That's why I wanted the Crate. I need something that's good tone-wise and very loud. The venues I play require a loud amp, they have crap surround sounds etc...

Plus my drummer/bassist play really loud. So does my lead.

the crate is good for that
if you like high gain in a beast of a solid state amp. check out randall amps.

they have tubes and solid state amps that are way more respected as compared to crate.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You really want a used Peavey 5150/6505 combo...that's pretty much the "everyman" metal amp. If you want new there should be some Randalls that are worth looking at, Randall make good solid state amps for metal players, Crates solid state stuff is just gash though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

That's why I wanted it, to be honest.

You have no idea how CRAP my amp is at the moment. And plus, I don't know what I'd do if any of my tubes broke on a tube amp. It takes 4-6 weeks to ship here
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
The crate may be loud on paper, but it's too muddy and lacking in body to cut through effectively in a live mix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by coryklok
I've been alive for 16 years. I know an asshole when i see one.

I've been alive for 17 years, and I know a thick-headed n00b when I see one. Plus you don't argue with Mark

Anyway threadstarter, you're probably not going to get something that loud that sounds good in your price range. You could save a little bit more and get a used Peavey 5150 combo. Loud as hell, and I see them go for $600-$700 on Ebay quite often.

The Palomino is nice, but if drummer is the typical noob who doesn't know how to moderate his playing, it's not going to be loud enough. Though even if the venue you're playing has a crappy PA, it's better than not being heard at all.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
spend 20 more bucks and you can get a B-52 AT-112

That would also be a darned good idea

as would this...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG100G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480336
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
spend 20 more bucks and you can get a B-52 AT-112

Linky?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Much obliged.

edit: Ok, I can afford the Randall and the B-52.

You guys really recommend those amps?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Sep 28, 2007,
if you are in an area where it's hard to get service or parts, you might want to really think about the randall ^linked above, over the B-52.

some users love their B52's but i have read about quality issues.
unknown if that;s a continuing problem. just a heads up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2