so i own an ibanez grx40cr.
its a really nice guitar but im looking to upgrade it a bit.

i was looking to fit a locking trem to it and i've heard good things about kahlers.
Do they require much routing if the guitar already has a cavity for trem springs?
how easy are they to set up?
how much can i find one for in the uk?

thanks
Top lel.
If you don't want to do a ton of dive bombs, you could always just do a strat trem and locking tuners.
Kahlers require a rectangular rout about an inch deep. No clue on UK suppliers. Kahlers don't have springs at all.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Kahlers require a rectangular rout about an inch deep. No clue on UK suppliers. Kahlers don't have springs at all.

is that a sorta......standard routing size?
for like a strat style bridge?
Top lel.
Quote by powermetalg
If you have a strat route Id say put a floyd rose on.

how easy is that to actually do?
if i were to do that, i'd put a non-floating one on.
Top lel.
Kahlers don't have springs at all.

I dont know what Kahlers you've been using but the ones i've used certaintly do have springs.
What type have you been using? Any of the newer hybrid ones don't need a spring rout.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by powermetalg
I believe its just drill 2 holes for the posts to mount the bridge as long as you dont want it floating.

is it basically as simple as that? :|

how much would it cost to get it done?
and for parts?

also, what about fitting the locking nut to the neck?
would i need to get a new neck?
Top lel.
kahlers are more expensive than floyds, but you might make that up in installation fees.

You wont need a new neck, just need to replace the nut which is simple.

Kahlers also detune a bit on bending according to a lot of sources, requiring you to do a quick divebomb to go back to perfect pitch.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
the nut on the neck just now is a standard one seen on virtually any non floyd guitar, i thought that a floyd locking nut would take up far more room than is actually available

if that makes sense...
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
the nut on the neck just now is a standard one seen on virtually any non floyd guitar, i thought that a floyd locking nut would take up far more room than is actually available

if that makes sense...

it wouldn't be a direct swap, but the work needed wouldnt b too much..or you could get locking tuners instead.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
GUYS. You're telling him stuff that isn't true.

First of all, Kahlers are rarely more expensive than regular FRs. Second, the routing is drop-dead simple.

Kahler makes a special locking nut that goes behind the regular nut.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
What type have you been using? Any of the newer hybrid ones don't need a spring rout.

They don't need a spring route, but they certaintly to have springs.
i prefer kahler over any other trem, theyre all i ever use, they use springs like every other trem, but kahler trem u dont need a big cavity for the springs unless ur getting a kahler spyder. the springs are attached right under the trem system