probly not, i have never played one but any time epiphone makes a guitar package that cheap it susallydoesnt go ever well. maybe for a starter guitar but if you already have a guitar this probly isnt a step up
empty the bullets from the chamber
It would be alright as a beginner's guitar, but it wouldn't last long. It would be good to get if you're not sure if you're going to continue with the guitar or not. But if you're looking for something you could use for years, look at the Epiphone G400.
The SG Special is OK, it's a decent practice guitar if you fix the pickup height and adjust the action. It's also kind of fun to turn into a project. I scalloped 18-22 on my fretboard because it was too hard to reach, and I'm thinking about putting some EMG's in it as well. It's somewhat worth the price, and it's better than a Squier Strat, but if you're looking for high quality, you're in the medium aisle with this guitar.
^^ Don't buy it to put better pickups in. It doesn't really have generally good enough quality to justify that. Putting some Seymour Duncans in a G400 makes more sense than EMGs in an SG Special.
I'm not really sure what my level of skill is. I have been playing since Feb this year. I can alternative pick although some days i mess up a bit. This will be my first guitar and i want something good for $200 or under. i also want something good for metal
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

first - what kind of music do you play
second - is this your first guitar (i imagine it is by u buying the package)
third - is $200 dollars the max amount u can spend
to be honest usually imo these guitar packages have crappy guitars and crappy amps, if i were you i would go to a local guitar dealer and try one out for yourself cause you can get a decent guitar and amp for like $300 if u willing to save longer. but its ur doh so do wut u wunt.
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
im willing to spend a little more, maybe $250 but that will take up 2 more weeks of saving. What should i get then?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

u can get a decent stagg guitar SG copy for about $150-200 and a half decent amp for bout $100. and in a few years u can always swap the stock pups in the stagg for some better ones.
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
in the long run, its better to wait 2 weeks to save a few more bucks to get a better guitar then to just get one asap and be disappointed with in a few months. if you like SGs, look at the epiphone G-300 or the ESP/LTD Viper 100FM. both good guitars and roughly around $250.
i need some help. im stuck on my cousins piece of crap he got from walmart for my birthday 3 years ago. i know da shape but wat's better a Flying V, ESP's DV8 or jackson's V series??? if u can give me da prices to that would help alot
Its not a good guitar. It could be made playable but there is better for the money, if all you need is a guitar. If you need a guitar and an amp $200 won't get you anything better. If you can save another $60 check http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SVTSSL3PAK
The guitar is acceptable and the amp is not great but you can learn on it ok.
I would continue to look a little longer, don't get in a hurry.