Hey guys, I just started playing guitar I have an electric crappy strat. For acoustic I play on my teachers http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60088%252526CTID%25253D600014%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

I like most acoustic, nickelback, acoustic yellow card, anything that just sounds good. I like country, rock, blues whatever is good.

I have no idea where to start, I'm working on chords, and some basic nickelback tabs. (stupid question -> where can I find power chords that are accurate also? I really want to start writing my own acoustic songs when i get the hang of this.

Any help is appreciated.
There's a lot of good information in the Guitar & Bass basics forum on this site. Check out the stickies and some of the posts from other people. That aside, theres a lot of good lesson FAQs on the main UG site.

Get used to your basic open chords and learn a couple scales. I'd maybe start with the Chromatic scale, and maybe the pentatonic minor. They're good for showing you where notes are (as are all the scales).

Good luck man, hope that helps
Yeah, get your teacher to help get some structure into your learning, chords, some scales to get your fingers working and get your knowledge of the fretboard started (of course not too many scales, who wants to play scales all day?) and some simple stuff. I should have started like that, but i just went and stuffed around alot, which si good fun, but you dont progress as fast as you could...
Ya its not a guitar teacher that i pay hourly, highschool music teacher, thats helpin me with guitar cuz i play bari sax in his band.

I can play most of the chords, probably about 10 memorized, E,G, Em, E7, Em7, A, A7, Am, Am7, and C,

and im working on c pent. scale.
Guitars:

Fender Squier pack w/ Frontman 15g Amp

Yamaha Acoustic FG700S solid top

New player, lovin it.
I never bothered memorizing many chords. I just learnt them as i needed them. Major and minors was all i learnt. Even if you know 100chords, its no use unless you can swap between them properly. That should be something you devote a fair bit of time too. Swtiching chords properly. It takes coordination moving up to 4 fingers to precise locations at the same time, but if you dont learn how to do it.... well, your in trouble, lol
It's a never ending job o' work. Natural curiosity is a big help.

For the next couple of months, I will mostly be learning and figuring out chord voicings. It strikes me as dumb and lazy to imprison myself with the root-at-the-bottom cliches that seem to be the foundation of the vast majority of my songs. Certainly, when I have used alternaltive voicing in the past it has been the result of serendipity-like accidents during the course of absent-minded noodling or commonly used inversions. Chord voicings and voice leading is opening up seemingly limitless opportunities for harmonic development for me. All basic stuff for jazz guitar players, no doubt, but that’s not my… erm… pedigree.

Having only four usable digits to finger five - or more - note chords means that all chords of that type will be “broken”, ie., have notes missing. That’s all right apart from the confusion that arises (in my little brain) when many chords with missing notes can be interpreted as voicings of entirely different chords - with missing notes. I’ve known this for years (oh, yes I have!) but it’s only an inconvenience presently since I’m trying to commit these voicings to memory by it’s name based on the supposed root - which in itself is interesting when oft times the root is also missing! Piano players, with ten fingers at their disposal, will play broken chords through choice based on a desired sonority - but us guitar players often play them out of necessity.

In truth, a bunch of notes can be called as many names as there are notes in the bunch - although it gets nonsensical and unhelpful after a point. In the end, chord nomenclature is only a means to an end and the fact that broken chords can be so easily re-interpreted provides an ambiguity that can be exploited.