I have noticed that the string height over my pickups is not level over all strings. Arent they supposed to be kinda level with one another? They are level over the fret board.
The pickup height is adjustable with the two screws on the sides and you get different sounds, and if u want the same sound on all strings the pickup height should be a little slanted. play around with it.
The pickups are fine. What I meant was when you go from D to the G string G is a bit lower as well as b and high e. I notice it alot on my up strum. Shouldn't all the strings be pretty much level with each other over the strumming area?
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
I dont think so, they are all ajustable so that there is no buz, and to suit your needs (at least thats what I always thought..)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Nope, nope and nope. The fretboard is radiused, meaning it has a curve to it, from low E to high E. If it's a quality guitar, the pickup pole pieces, those 6 silver dot's on face of the pickup, will have an arc to them as well to match the fretboard radius. Then each pickup will also need to be slanted so that 1) the strings don't hit them when vibrating 2) the volume produced by the pickup is equal across all strings. The distance from bottom of string to top of pole piece is very important, but most likely not equal for all all strings as the lower half of strings vibrate more than the top 3 do. Drop a big boulder in a lake. Big waves and splash right? Toss a small pebble in next. Small waves and tiny splash. That's the difference.
okay I had a quick question on pickups too. I hope you dont mind if I share this thread, Black Mesa. I just noticed today that you can adjust the pickups. If you mess with the pickups too much, will they wear out?
:stickpoke

Bipolar. It's a serious thing.
No, you won't wear them out by making adjustments.

As far as pickup height, you don't want them too close overall, the magnets will pull the strings out of tune. Too far away and the sound quality will suffer, you'll have a weak, wimpy sounding guitar. Most importantly the pickups need to be set so they both (or all, if it's a 3 pickup guitar) sound the same volume level when amplified. Usually that means the bridge pickup will be a bit closer to the strings than the neck pickup, since the strings vibrate less at that point. I try to get all the guitars at the same volume level too, it sucks to pick up a guitar and it's way too loud when everything was great with the previous guitar. That's what got me into fine tuning my pickup height. The Squier Strat has a great sound, so does the Peavey Patriot, but the Peavey was way louder than the strat first time I took both onstage (both are single coils, the Peavey has 2, similar to a telecaster, the strat has 3). So I had to fiddle with the volume pedal all night. I reset the pickup height on both and got them reasonably close to the same volume level and got great sound out of both in the deal. I got an identical Peavey Super Ferrite pickup to the ones in the Patriot not long ago, put it in a telecaster copy and it's just as hot as the ones in the Patriot, they are great pickups...it's in the neck position and I have to keep it over 1/4" below the strings or it's louder than any other guitar I have. The Patriot is the same, it's even lower.

The difference between strings shouldn't be that big a problem, most pickups are designed so the middle pole pieces are higher than the outside ones, to follow the radius of the neck. I find the single coils used on strats tend to be a little too far away on the 1st and 2nd strings, so I have to set that end of the pickup a little higher to get enough treble out of each pickup. For the humbucker guitars it's not quite as big a difference, but the treble end usually has to be a little higher there too.

Usually, unless the pickups are especially hot, your general starting point will be about 3/16" between strings and pickup at both the top and bottom strings. Go from there to get a decent medium between sound quality and even volume across all the pickups, without pulling it out of tune. Two of my guitars have pickups so hot I have them set well over 1/4" below the strings, (the Patriot mentioned above) one of them is still louder than my strat, it's 1/8" max. The Washburn BT 2 neck pickup (humbucker) is set so the top of the pickup is actually below the plastic housing it's mounted in and it's still loud...the treble end is 1/8" closer to the strings than the bass end, and the bridge pickup is the opposite, the treble end is further away from the strings, and it's still plenty bright, and overall pickup height is closer to the strings by about 1/8".

You can change the overall tone of the pickup by changing the height of one end, I fine tune all of mine to get a tone I like. I go for a very full sound, with plenty bass and enough highs to cut glass especially on the bridge pickup. Playing clean I'm looking for a David Gilmour-ish sound with plenty bottom end and enough nice clean highs to hear the pick clicks. Punch up the distortion pedal and I'm usually going for the bridge pickup, so I don't want it too high, that would increase the volume too much, I let the amps and effects handle the volume levels, and control the overall volume with a volume pedal. The main thing I look for is even volume from one pickup to the next and not too bright, both amps put out plenty bass to bring the lows out as long as the pickup is not low enough to start sounding dead. The guitar starts sounding tinny if the treble end of the pickup gets too close to the strings, and flat or dead sounding if the bass end is too close. I try to find the middle ground and fine tune it from there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...