I'm mostly a guitar player, but I've noticed that bass is a pretty valuable skill to have. I got a bass book for pretty cheap at Half Price Books, and I'm thinking I might just learn the basics from that book. Is it worth it to get a bass and learn how to play it, even though I already play guitar?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
dude it NEVER hurts to know bass as well as guitar, leaves you open to more opporotunities, if youre feeling a bit turned off from the guitar (we all have those bad days) you can switch to bass for a day or two

if you want a cheap bass, go to www.rondomusic.com
The basses on Rondo seem pretty cool. What's a good bass amp? Also, I won't be getting a bass for at least 2 months, I'm getting some money at my new job first. (and a sweet Tele )
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
ampeg makes good ones aparently, or u can go lemmy style and play thru guitar amp with distortion

Wouldn't that brutally murder the amp?
Quote by ebbbaaa
Wouldn't that brutally murder the amp?

Pretty much.

Bottom line, get a bass amp.

There are lots of starter packs on sites such as musiciansfriend. Squier, Washburn, Ibanez, and Yamaha (?) have starter packs that can supply you with the basics. But PLEASE whatever you do, don't get an Epiphone.
I picked up bass after a year of guitar. I've never regretted it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
putting a bass thru a guitar amp wont kill it, unless you have it up too loud, many people will tell you otherwise, but generaly if you have a good guitar amp, bass wont kill it.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
putting a bass thru a guitar amp wont kill it, unless you have it up too loud, many people will tell you otherwise, but generaly if you have a good guitar amp, bass wont kill it.

It'll just damage it and sound like a wet fart.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
ampeg makes good ones aparently, or u can go lemmy style and play thru guitar amp with distortion

This is one thing that annoys the HELL out of me.

Ampegs are expensive. I doubt the TS is going to be looking at making that sort of investment just now.

Cab-wise, TS, you can't go wrong with some lower end amps just now... smaller Kustom's, for example.
uhm..unless you're planning on gigging right away...why is everyone suggesting a head/cab type thing...i'd just get a cheap little practice amp before you spend big bucks

oh, and yes, you should pick up bass
i definatly think that once you learn the concepts of bass, your theory gets better, things like chord progessions make a lot more sense when you understand bass, in my opinion (because you learn how to work w/ chords to make lines, and where you can go from one note to another and such)
Quote by ebbbaaa
Is it worth it to get a bass and learn how to play it, even though I already play guitar?

No, sir. Playing bass is a filthy habit to get into and is almost impossible to break. It is the crack-cocaine of the music industry. You'll alienate yourself from your family and will only be able to make friends with drummers. Avoid at all costs.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
Quote by kasso99
No, sir. Playing bass is a filthy habit to get into and is almost impossible to break. It is the crack-cocaine of the music industry. You'll alienate yourself from your family and will only be able to make friends with drummers. Avoid at all costs.

and...wait for it.... wait for it.... *REPORTED!*
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't his post sarcasm?
Seemed like it to me.

But to the OP:
Definitely pick it up, if only to play around a bit. It'll help your writing a lot, especially on how to create basslines that arent just the root of the chord (theory helps a lot here too). It might even help your guitar playing as well.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I actually found that bit of satire quite amusing. I may even sig it.