I wasn't sure on which forum to post this in.....

but i was wondering, does anyone know a certain chord that when played, just sounds like hope? im not sure how to explain it, but just a voicing that portrays good things to come. thanks.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
lol wut
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Its this one

E----9
B------
G----7
D----6
A----5
E------
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
i just want a bright sounding chord guys. and something thats not just a major chord.

Ok
real answer.

My favorite chord is
E-3-------3
B-1-------1
G-2---or-0
D---------2
A----------
E----------
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x

uhh basically any of these

E-3--3--3--3--------
B-3--3--3--3--------
G-0--0--0--2--------
D-0--2--2--0--------
A-2--2--3--0--------
E-3--0--0--0--------

or you can try other chords with the high D and G added to them.
ok, those are more what im looking for. thanks. but is there anything thats not as major sounding? im really trying to write with more complex chords.

i noticed the C6 btw.

Edit: By major sounding i meant i want to stray away from normal 1-3-5 chords.

ah
Some minor elevenths are often beatiful chords.

I dont want to put any fret diagrams down because it'd take a minute or so.
But minor 11th's.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

I really like the sound of major 7th chords. They just sound so beautiful and melodic it's not even funny.

To me a major 7th chord has it all. It can sound beautifully hopeful and mesmerizing or dark and melancholy. Major 7th chords are definitely the way to go.

EDIT: Another really nice beautiful sounding chord is the 6/9 chord. Minor 9ths sound really melodic in a rather sad way but they can sound brilliant used in the proper context.

Instead of looking at individual chords you may find it useful to look at chord progressions and determine the best way to utilize tension and resolution. For example, if you play a Bdim7 chord at the end of a song it sounds eerie and "wrong" however, if you strum the Bdim7 chord and then a plain old C major the song sounds "finished".

There are plenty examples of tension and release. Another very common one is used in blues and/or country music. If you are playing in G and are about to go into the chorus (which starts on C) it is likely that you'll play half a bar of G and then half a bar of G7 because the G7 chord resolves well in the C chord in the next bar.

Another of my personal favourites is Bbmaj7#11 (the Lydian chord) moving into a C6/9 chord. The Bbmaj7#11 has a very tense feel and when you play the C6/9 chord after it you create a lot of opportunities to continue the progression of create simple little melodies within the chord itself.
Last edited by Tsunoyukami at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by Tedward
x
x

just figured that one out, no clue as to what its called

Aadd9? i added the top e too. this is the kind of chord im looking for. thank you!

Quote by Tedward
x
x

just figured that one out, no clue as to what its called

Well that contain the notes A C# E and B so I would just call it Aadd4 or Aadd11.

There's another very good chord type to add to your list, add9 and add11. I know that add9 chords can sound very depressing and melancholy but it can also represent a beacon of hope.

It's all about phrasing and how you use the chords coupled with what the listener sees as the song moves on.

EDIT: Whoa whoa what was I thinking, I mean Aadd9 not Aadd4 or Aadd11. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Tsunoyukami at Sep 28, 2007,
these two #11 chords in random spots

DMaj7#11

Use your index finger's knuckle to reach the G# on the high E
e-4-
b-7-
g-6-
d-7-
a-5-
e---

Dsus2#11

e-5-
b-9-
g-9-
d-7-
a-5-
e---

The second one might be hard to reach for most people. Move it up the neck to play it easier.

Both of them sound great
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

tune your guitar like this:
(from high to low)

D
A
A
D
A
D

it's the tuning used for Hope, just playing open strings sounds like a chord and it's a pretty fun tuning to play in
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by grampastumpy
Suspended chords. Root and fifth plus either a second or fourth. No third.

I agree - suspended chords are begging to be resolved, and if resolved one way will result in a plethora of hope, but if resolved in a different manner you will not be hopeful at all.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I agree - suspended chords are begging to be resolved, and if resolved one way will result in a plethora of hope, but if resolved in a different manner you will not be hopeful at all.

That's true. I guess the easy/safe way is to resolve the second or fourth to a third.
Quote by grampastumpy
That's true. I guess the easy/safe way is to resolve the second or fourth to a third.

Exactly - it's very simple but it works.

If you resolve to a major third, it will (or should) sound happy. If you resolve to a minor third, it is likely to sound sad.

Then again, there is no set of rules you can totally change how major and minor chords sound when they are used in relation with other chords.