Ok so i have a jackson dxmg with a floyd rose. I just bought some ernie ball standard (10-46) and put them on. Then I noticed the bridge sticking up at like a 45 degree angle and it was tuned to perfect E. WTF? I was scared it was going to rip out of the guitar and slice my arm off and worse put a scratch on my guitar! What should I do? I still got the warranty. (btw, they worked fine in drop c)
my gear:

- Jackson DXMG with EMG 81 and 85
- Ibanez RG5EX1 (saved $320 hehe)
- Line 6 Spider III 120 watt amp
- Marshall 60 watt
- ion guitar
- crappy ion amp
- lyon distortion pedal
- ion vocal amp
(last 4 are my old gear)
you had it tuned different before, so it had less tension.

Part of the evils of a floyd rose is the inability to change tunings on the fly.

tune it back to drop c if you want it normal again.
It wont break the guitar, but it'll be annoying.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
not necessarily he had it tuned differently. it could be he had a lighter gauge pack of strings before. you need to increase the tension on the springs behind the bridge.
Quote by Necronomicon
not necessarily he had it tuned differently. it could be he had a lighter gauge pack of strings before. you need to increase the tension on the springs behind the bridge.

Is there a definitive method for that or just judgment?
different gadge strings can definitely do it but most likely the tension on the strings pulled it higher as you tuned it. open up the back and adjust the springs but just know that if you drop tuning and come back up it will just do it again
empty the bullets from the chamber
I dont really know how to adjust the springs cuz if I go to drop c, the bridge will be cutting into the wood underneath and if I want it back in E, I'll have to waste like an hour adjusting the springs AGAIN so the bridge will stay at a current height. Is there a way that I could tune it differently without adjusting the springs and keeping it in a usable position?
my gear:

- Marshall 60 watt
- ion guitar
- crappy ion amp
- lyon distortion pedal
- ion vocal amp
(last 4 are my old gear)
Last edited by blackdeath1523 at Sep 28, 2007,
if you dont mind the string being in that wierd angle tuned to E then leave it like it is. it wont bend as far but every time you tune down to C it will slip back down into its regular position. theres not much more you can do. or maybe adjust it to where its like halfway angled inbetween the tunings. not sure how to word that so i hope it makes sense
empty the bullets from the chamber
maybe i could ask the ppl at guitar center to fix it
my gear:

- Marshall 60 watt
- ion guitar
- crappy ion amp
- lyon distortion pedal
- ion vocal amp
(last 4 are my old gear)
they could fix it but like we said, every time you change the tuning it will change the position again, its just what happens because of the tension. i usually use a different guitar for lower tunings cuz i dont play em as much.
ahh so many people get floating trems and dont know what they are...

But anywayz. Basically think about what it is, its a 'floating' peice of metal being pulled down by strings below, and pulled up from strings above. So making it level requires finding the right balance of spring and string tension.

Now about your problem, think about it... If the guitar being level has a perfect balance on spring tension, and you drop the low E string (the string with the most tension too) thats going to put a lot less tension pulling it up, and its gonna drop into your cavity. Or vice versa, if you set it up for drop tunning, and you tune it to standard, its going to be pulled up.

Honestly if you drop your guitars into different tunings then a floating trem isnt the right thing for you...

Anywayz... to get it to the right balance you need to adjust the spring tension. which you can find by two screws on the underside of your guitar in the trem cavity. Clockwise is tighten and counterclock wise is loosen if I remember correctly... What you have to do is turn these in quarter circle turns, and retune your guitar, and keep doing this until your bridge is level...

As long as you keep the same tuning and same gauge strings itll stay like that. But you might want to invest in one of those temelo no's things... that lets you drop tune without having to retune everything every time... but that kinda defeats the point of having a floating trem

http://www.tremol-no.com/default.asp

Oh and about your post saying you can get them to do it at the guitar center... ehh no. Maybe if you want them to do the intonation, that can be a pain in the ass. But its your guitar you gotta learn how to tune it. Sorry not trying to sound like a dick, but you gotta learn sooner or later.

and just go to you tube and type in "set up a floyd rose" and you'll get several how to videos. Even if your guitar isnt a floyd rose... licensed floyd rose, edge's, edge pro II's and III's all work and are set up basically the same way.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 28, 2007,