Hey guys, I looked around for a while but didn't find any definitve answer to my question, so, now I'm here doing a new thread about an old topic...
What is the best amp I can get for under 1000 usd that I can still gig (like parties and the like, I don't need a 100w head) with?
I play mostly classic rock, some metal and some progressive rock (like Rush stuff), I use a Gibson Explorer as my main guitar, and I plan on using pedals for distortion (Big Muff, mostly, but if the dist on the amp you recommend is good enough, I'll use that )

anyway, thanks for your answers
oh! and I really can't go the "used" way since I live in Mexico and its really hard to get used amp's around here, also, I would be buying the amp in the USA so I wouldn't have time to shop around, I'm almost sure I will end up buying it at Guitar Center, anyway, thanks in advance!
With a big muff for your distortion (good choice BTW) I suggest a Carvin Belair.

Its aimed at vintage players but it has a great classic tone (probably could nail classic rock and Rush) and if you use your Big Muff for metal you'll be all set.

Its all tube, costs 620 bucks, and shipping is free for the time being.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BELAIR&CID=GA
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Peavey Valveking 112 or 212, amazing ALL TUBE

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I've really been digging Fender tube amps lately. check out a 65 deluxe: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-65-Deluxe-Reverb-Combo-Amp?sku=480507
or a hot rod deville: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410?sku=480508

you won't be able to get a great distortion out of them without a pedal, but since you've already taken care of that, they should sound great.
Guitar Center sell two amps you may be interested in and sound like they would fit your genres. Peavey Classic 30 112, $599.99 USD, Peavy Classic 50 212, $849.99
Might need a distortion pedal for metal.
Quote by Doodleface
With a big muff for your distortion (good choice BTW) I suggest a Carvin Belair.

Its aimed at vintage players but it has a great classic tone (probably could nail classic rock and Rush) and if you use your Big Muff for metal you'll be all set.

Its all tube, costs 620 bucks, and shipping is free for the time being.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BELAIR&CID=GA

Looks good, but it seems like they are only sold at the Carvin website, and sadly, that's a problem since I can't buy stuff online (don't ask), if that's the case, what do you think of the valveking?

And about those Fenders...they look extremely nice hehe but I'm afraid they won't handle the distortion very well (even with pedals...but since I've never tried them out, I'm just talking out of my @$$ hehe) so, would you say that with a couple of pedals (like Big muff and maybe the metal muff) I could get more metal-ish tones? (I'm thinking something like Randy Rhoads and some stuff like Opeth)

Thanks for all of your responses so far!
Quote by uldhppi
Guitar Center sell two amps you may be interested in and sound like they would fit your genres. Peavey Classic 30 112, $599.99 USD, Peavy Classic 50 212, $849.99
Might need a distortion pedal for metal.

Peavey Classic huh...haven't heard anything about those 2 amps before, I don't mind using pedals at all, so that's not a problem, so do you think with that Amp (most probably the 50 212) would I be able to handle Zeppelin, Maiden and Opeth, for example? :P thanks for the advice!
I love my Valveking but opinions are divided about its doing metal. I got Randy Rhoads era tone out of it no problem, but since I don't play modern metal I will defer to the metal players for better opinions. For my blues and classic rock its great.
Quote by uldhppi
I love my Valveking but opinions are divided about its doing metal. I got Randy Rhoads era tone out of it no problem, but since I don't play modern metal I will defer to the metal players for better opinions. For my blues and classic rock its great.

So would you recommend the Valveking over the Peavey Classic?
Man that's a tough call. For me price was very important, but not more important than sound. Also versatility. My choice is the VK. I think it sounds better than the Classic, and someone will join in this thread and tell you I am full of crap, but that's really my opinion. You should try them both as well as others.
Quote by uldhppi
Man that's a tough call. For me price was very important, but not more important than sound. Also versatility. My choice is the VK. I think it sounds better than the Classic, and someone will join in this thread and tell you I am full of crap, but that's really my opinion. You should try them both as well as others.

I sure will, it's just that I needed to know which ones were a must to try out so I didnt spend an hour trying out MG's and Spider's :P

Thanks a lot for your input, man!