So, yes at the moment i have the cheapest guitar ever like $250 ( im from NZ so that like... $125ish american )
I play alot of metal and similar genres and I'm looking to upgrade to something with active pickups, but i dont want to clean out my bank account doing it.
I was looking at the Schecter demon, because its only $899 NZD and i has active pickups, though i found that it was very heavy and the neck wasnt as thin as i would like ( but thats no biggy i could get used to it ) Would it be better to fork out more money for a better guitar? such as a esp ltd with active pickups ( thats a big stretch for me, the ones with active pickups are around $1600 NZD )
I don't really have a brand preference. And i would prefer replies that arnt just shamelessly promoting their favorite brand, lol.
Anyway what do you guys think? also i would like a guitar with a hardtail bridge and two humbucking active pickups just to be clear.
Ibanez RG321MH($300cdn), then throw in a set of EMGs or the new SD blackouts and you are set.
umm...personally, i'd go to a shop and just try everything out. if you like it, buy it. 'cuz your not biased you'd probably get hte best bang for your buck. also, it's probably better that you save up a little bit more and get something incredible than spend now and get something less than perfect, that way you won't to buy a new one later....sorry i don't have any suggestions for a guitar though...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Schecters in general are usually pretty good guitars. Just try it out, see if you like the sound. The weight and neck thickness you can always get used to, but if it sounds like crap then don't bother with it. If you like it, sold.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
hmm $795 NZD, I might try one at the store tommorrow or somthing, what neck shape has it got ( thin - u, round - u, C ) etc, also have you got the specs for it? My local store is hopeless witht that sort of thing

p.s. I have tryed the schecter demon, it was alittle clunky to play but thats because my guitar is a different scale and the neck on mine is very thin.
I did like the sound but the pickups didnt have as much definition as the emgs, they didnt seem as clean, i mean i want active so i can distort it to the highest level and still hear each note clearly
Last edited by trollyed at Sep 28, 2007,
RG2EX1's look quite reasonable, however the pickups are only EMG designed, but then again those pups are probably way better than my INFs on my Iceman.
neck thickness on the lower schecters is kind of annoying in my opinion, thats why i have the hellraiser which is thinner. i'd say buy a midrange ibanez cuz they're very good. a word about active pickups; they're not the greatest for everything. you'd think so if you've never played them but i dunno, i prefer dimarzio tonezones and other types of high end passive pickups over active emgs, and i've got emgs. you should look into switching those into the guitar after you get them if you're not satisfied with the sound.
hmm yer, i was planing to wire a seymour duncan (passive ) into the neck possition, itd need to run off seperate curciutry for it to work properly, but yer that way id beable to play nice clean stuff too

also is there a hardtail of a hellraiser? cause i did look at that, it just seemed alittle too expensive.
Last edited by trollyed at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by trollyed
hmm yer, i was planing to wire a seymour duncan (passive ) into the neck possition, itd need to run off seperate curciutry for it to work properly, but yer that way id beable to play nice clean stuff too

also is there a hardtail of a hellraiser? cause i did look at that, it just seemed alittle too expensive.

there is a C1-Hellraiser

for cleans, just make sure you have a EMG 60.

and if you were asking about the neck of the ibanez, its super thin.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
is that passive or active? cause if its passive then id need to add in a second curcuit
Quote by trollyed
is that passive or active? cause if its passive then id need to add in a second curcuit

its active
ohok cool, i think adding in a set of emgs after getting the guitar is out of the question theyd cost me around $450 - $500
Quote by trollyed
ohok cool, i think adding in a set of emgs after getting the guitar is out of the question theyd cost me around $450 - $500

well, the RG321 is only 300cdn, so thats like..374AUD, that guitar and a set of emgs will keep you under 900AUD easily
hmm the RG321MH is $795 NZD, so with the emgs thatd be like $1205, well ill try one out, how many frets has it got? 24?
yep 24 frets....and thats a really inflated price for it, must be the shipping, look on Ebay for them.
i dont think its cause of shipping i think over here they pump the price up of popular instriments to make more money, because other guitars arnt worth that much also you gotta relise that NZD is worth crap all, lol a gibson is around $2500 +
Quote by trollyed
i dont think its cause of shipping i think over here they pump the price up of popular instriments to make more money, because other guitars arnt worth that much also you gotta relise that NZD is worth crap all, lol a gibson is around $2500 +

if shipping isn't much, then try ordering from like Musiciansfriend or Guitarcenter online and have it shipped to you. The conversion rate wasn't too bad when I checked it, 330cdn is 437NZD.

Shipping would probably cost you like 200NZD. So that puts you at like..1000NZD after the EMGs if I'm adding correctly from your earlier post.
yer well i dont actually know how much shipping is but esp guitars are shipped from the US and they dont cost that much really like the top ltd one costs $1500 - $1600
Quote by trollyed
yer well i dont actually know how much shipping is but esp guitars are shipped from the US and they dont cost that much really like the top ltd one costs $1500 - $1600

if you are talking about the actual ESP Standard Series guitars then that is about the right price for them, for an LTD version of anything other than the EC-1000 Deluxe, you are being ripped off.
nah the esp ltd f400 is $1600 lol. But to be honest i wouldnt buy a guitar from the local store, id just try it there, i can get it through a rather unknown ( by the common folk i supose ) musical instriment dealer, all the professionals who come through here go to him, he does repairs and stuff, but hes not really that up on stuff for metal thats why im asking here.
Quote by trollyed
nah the esp ltd f400 is $1600 lol. But to be honest i wouldnt buy a guitar from the local store, id just try it there, i can get it through a rather unknown ( by the common folk i supose ) musical instriment dealer, all the professionals who come through here go to him, he does repairs and stuff, but hes not really that up on stuff for metal thats why im asking here.

thats insane. If you are looking at an ESP, go with a EC or a EX, both use the EMG 81/60 set which is the set you want if you like to have cleans.
I'd Agree with ^^

ESP eclipse. About $1000AUD so yeah.. maybe $1200 NZD? Guessing

What amp do you have?

I've fallen in the "hmm i need a new guitar" thought alot, and i have done it which was stupid considering i need an amp thats capable of the sound..

Basically active pickups won't help if you have a no name 10 watter
lol i have a 35Watt Axl which is exilent for clean ( i have to use a pedal to get the right amount of distortion), but ill save upgrading my amp till next year or so.

btw im not looking at a certain brand, just the best guitar for my price range, also people be reminded this is NZD which is worth around half of a USD or so ( dunno what the exchange is like atm )
Ok, well I tryed basically all the guitars suggested to me, I found the RG very awkward to play, it didnt sit against my chest that well, im sure its fine for other people but im slightly pigeon chested, the neck was nice but possibly slightly to thin for me :0. The shecter sounds great, though very clunky to play. Above all the esp ltd viper 400 was AWSOME, it was light, comfortable, and sounded great. though $400 bucks more than the schecter, it was resonably priced for a change ( looked at the US pricing on musicians friend ) erm its only $1299 NZD so yer, thats inculsive of shipping aswell, so basically its worth around $1100 or so but ahwell. The ec was alittle to heavy for me thats why i tryed the viper out ( that and it looks pretty awsome )

- lol had to edit this ( BAAAAD grammar on my first try, lol soooo tired its 11:20pm, and ive been awake since 4am )
Last edited by trollyed at Oct 1, 2007,