hey, I am composing a theme for this play for dance and drama, and was wondering, if the clarinet is in the key of Bb, then to play a D minor triad, youwould play (what they're notes are) a C minor triad?

Also, if somone could get me a website where I could write the notes down then print cause my handwriting and staffpaper doesn't work well....

thankx in advance
heres a little chart
http://intellectualmusician.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/transposing_chart.jpg

if an instrument in in Bb, that means when it plays a written C, it actually sounds a Bb, or a full step lower than written.
So to convert from guitar/piano/whatever to clarinet you just move it a full step up.

D minor at concert pitch -> E minor on clarinet

for writing it in on the computer, theres a free cut down version of Finale available online (Finale Notepad) though it has a lot of limitations (i.e. you're not going to be able to write a score for a symphony orchestra with it)
no idea about Notepad but in the regular version you can just write everything at concert pitch then transpose it for the appropriate instrument later.
Last edited by seljer at Sep 29, 2007,