Recently, I've been picking up an Ibanez GRX20 and a GRGM21. both sound great, but the GRX20 has a whammy bar on it and cost $20 more than the GRGM21. Are whammy bars important? I never hear alot of modern day musicians use them, and I usually just use my wah pedal for stuff like that. So, I am going to buy one of GRX20 if they whammy is important, but if it isnt, I'm going with the GRGM21.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
A wah pedal doesn't do the same this as a whammy bar, and vice versa. A tremolo bridge (the type of bridge with a whammy bar) does add more variety to your playing, but certain types of bridges can make you lose tuning quickly, and the ones that don't do it that much (i.e, Floyd Rose) are pretty damn expensive. It's all up to you.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
In that price range the hard-tail would probably be better for you. Most of the modern whammy work you are hearing is done with Floyd Rose or other floating trem. Even though that trem is a simpler design I don't trust it to be that good. They can make staying in tune difficult or impossible. Since you seem not to have experience with trems I'd stay away.
You know that body is smaller than normal, right?
i think they are worth it. its better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it imo. but if you dont think you will ever use it then i guess dont bother with it. i like it though because i have the option to do some different sounding things like working with feedback or putting virbrato on chords.
i use my strats tremolo bar to add some spice to chords and such, but its also fun to mess around with when you're bored. use it sparingly, and you won't have to tune much.

i'd stay away from floyd roses.
i love whammy bars, just to dive bomb the strings is awesome. if u hit a natural harmonic and increase the tension with the bar its so awesome, i call that little trick a "demonic harmonic" it's a trick dimebag darrell used to do in a lot of pantera songs.
Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
Just depends really, would you use it a lot?

If you would only use it occasionally, then IMO it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
But, if you are a hopeful Steve Vai, then it would be.
Quote by uldhppi
In that price range the hard-tail would probably be better for you. Most of the modern whammy work you are hearing is done with Floyd Rose or other floating trem. Even though that trem is a simpler design I don't trust it to be that good. They can make staying in tune difficult or impossible. Since you seem not to have experience with trems I'd stay away.
You know that body is smaller than normal, right?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
floyd rose or krahlers are great whammy's...be prepared to put in a couple hours to set them up...
other then that go hardtail.i have a floyd and i love it,but only get one if you have time to set them up,
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
The thing about whammy bars, they really do nothing without the bridge.

It's just a piece of bent steel.

Get an tremolo first, then the whammy bar may do ya some good.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I advise not getting a trem. Tuning stability and simplicity are more important IMHO then being able to do a few dropped notes here and there. You could always get a whammy pedal and rock out just the same.

Fixed bridges take the focus off the guitar and on what you're doing. Since you don't really play the music that uses the whammy frequently, then there's little reason. I'm curious why you want an Ibanez when you already have an SG...do you plan on shredding? And do you really need the small size of the Mikro? A RG321 may be a very good idea, as it is very versatile and can give you some glassy tones that your SG is unable to bring.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I advise not getting a trem. Tuning stability and simplicity are more important IMHO then being able to do a few dropped notes here and there. You could always get a whammy pedal and rock out just the same.

Fixed bridges take the focus off the guitar and on what you're doing. Since you don't really play the music that uses the whammy frequently, then there's little reason. I'm curious why you want an Ibanez when you already have an SG...do you plan on shredding? And do you really need the small size of the Mikro? A RG321 may be a very good idea, as it is very versatile and can give you some glassy tones that your SG is unable to bring.

I am looking forward to get a whammy pedal sometime. Probably am going to buy the one that Digitech makes if I get enough money.

I want an Ibanez because people I have talked to say they are pretty good guitars. I figured since I can get one of guitarcenter.com for under $200, I mine as well take up on the offer. I don't think I will need the Mikro that small. I will check out the RG321 as well. Thanks for the help man.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
eh, like most companies it depends on the model. you can't really say "X company makes great guitars", at least when that company has guitars ranging from starter models all the way through to ones costing several thousand dollars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dudage
The thing about whammy bars, they really do nothing without the bridge.

It's just a piece of bent steel.

Get an tremolo first, then the whammy bar may do ya some good.

Damn, you beat me to it

Don't forget the Ibanez whammy bars have nylon rings on too :P
Play around with vintage tremolos first, like the ones on most strats and teles that have whammy bars. If they're well set-up, they should take any amount of abuse if you're pressing it down. If you want to bend upwards (pull up on the whammy bar) then locking trems are your best bet.
Quote by FallenFlame332
I am looking forward to get a whammy pedal sometime. Probably am going to buy the one that Digitech makes if I get enough money.

I want an Ibanez because people I have talked to say they are pretty good guitars. I figured since I can get one of guitarcenter.com for under $200, I mine as well take up on the offer. I don't think I will need the Mikro that small. I will check out the RG321 as well. Thanks for the help man.

No problem. As the poster below said, you can't quite make sweeping generalizations about the goodness of a brand, but I can say the following about Ibanez:

1. Their neck is either something you'll love or find awkward. There's very little middle ground. It'll give you incredible ease and precision when playing notes, but with little for your hand to hold, it can ache. That was my experience with a RG4EX1, which is fairly similar to the RG321 (just a glossy flame maple top).
2. They arguably have the best floating trems once you get to the Prestige or S guitars.
3. You can probably stab someone with the headstock.

And no problem...have fun.