Heading out to a few local shops today, including Sam Ash and GC, to look for a new amp. I'm gonna push my budget to about $600 for a setup that'll do mainly high-gain metal and clean stuff too. I've been doing lots of reading and have a few ideas but I'll have to get out there and try stuff for myself.

I'm going out looking for a tube combo for in-home playing and computer recording (really just tracking original ideas). A good tone is important, and it's a purchase that I want to last for a very long time. Probably not lookin' at used stuff unless it's an awesome deal.

Some of the ideas I'm kicking around:

B-52 AT 112...would I need an OD pedal for high gain?
Crate Palomino with OD and/or Distortion pedal, or maybe just with a POD?
Laney tube amp plus pedals (there's a shop nearby that carries them, not sure about the selection)

I'm also considering the Flextone III Plus. For all of it's versatility, computer interfacing, and praise I've read about it's quality, it could be the one I go with.

Feel free to shoot me some thoughts, and wish me luck!
you will want an OD for any of those tube amps to get close to the BR000TALZ metal, but all the tube amps you listed can do pretty good, but the Palomino is a little more vintage voiced then the others.

I wanted more versatility than anything in my amp, so I got the palomino, but I would have gotten the Laney if I had more $$.

I would suggest you go play the amps, and pick the best. LC15 and VC15 are the Laney models you are probably gonna want to try.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
you will want an OD for any of those tube amps to get close to the BR000TALZ metal, but all the tube amps you listed can do pretty good, but the Palomino is a little more vintage voiced then the others.

I wanted more versatility than anything in my amp, so I got the palomino, but I would have gotten the Laney if I had more $$.

I would suggest you go play the amps, and pick the best. LC15 and VC15 are the Laney models you are probably gonna want to try.
off topic, but are from bc?
The best gain amps in the 500$ level, IMO or from what ive heard anywayz, is the B-52, and the peavey valveking. Both can get to metalish levels.... they can both definately do hard rock on their own, but if you want that heavy metal sound your gonna need something to push them there
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
If you are going new, get the b-52, i have the half stack, I have recorded with a jcm 800,900, and a mesa road king, and this sounds pretty close. If you cant get a good tone out of it you are retarded.

But if you would go used you could get a 5150 for that price.
Quote by FRDesign
off topic, but are from bc?

yes I am.

To Diet Coke:a 5150 won't give him nice cleans, otherwise it is perfect for what he wants. He would also need an attenuator for playing it at home.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
yes I am.

To Diet Coke:a 5150 won't give him nice cleans, otherwise it is perfect for what he wants. He would also need an attenuator for playing it at home.

Ya...I didn't see the part about cleans.

Well, you are not going to get better than a b-52. The cleans are great, both gain channels are really great. Just try out alot of different amps.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Ya...I didn't see the part about cleans.

Well, you are not going to get better than a b-52. The cleans are great, both gain channels are really great. Just try out alot of different amps.

+1, I would go for the B-52, but just go try everything out. Although, with 60w at your disposal with the B-52, you might want to look into an attenuator for that as well, If that is what you buy in the end.
I scored the last B-52 AT-112 from GC...the "Showroom Model" as the salesman called it for $470

Got a couple of scratches on the sides of the cabinet but otherwise it looks like great, and I doubt it's been beat on very much in the store, every time I've been in there people are playing Spiders, MGs and various half-stacks.

Really happy with it, and I think that it's got plenty of gain even at low volume but I'm sure I'll get the itch to add a pedal to gain it up even more....so what's the best way to go? Something like a Tubscreamer or other Overdrive (in a reasonable price range) or possibly a Metal Muff?

Thanks UG for all the good advice!
Quote by The End
I scored the last B-52 AT-112 from GC...the "Showroom Model" as the salesman called it for $470

Got a couple of scratches on the sides of the cabinet but otherwise it looks like great, and I doubt it's been beat on very much in the store, every time I've been in there people are playing Spiders, MGs and various half-stacks.

Really happy with it, and I think that it's got plenty of gain even at low volume but I'm sure I'll get the itch to add a pedal to gain it up even more....so what's the best way to go? Something like a Tubscreamer or other Overdrive (in a reasonable price range) or possibly a Metal Muff?

Thanks UG for all the good advice!

I would suggest the OCD, just because it is quite transparent, but I don't like my tone coloured much, so that could be a personal preference thing. I'd still suggest an attenuator to get rich tube tone at bedroom levels though.
^i say get a booster like a BBE Boosta Grande and boost the preamp valves.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I just got a Flextone III 5 days ago and its pretty freakin' sweet. The only problem I have so far is it's weight and size, being over 60 pounds it's not all that easy to pack around. It's also way more powerful than I need (150 Watts) so I'm gonna make sure I really want it before the return policy is up.
Overall, I would recommend it though. Can't get much better sound out of electronic amps from what I've tried.
Well, I wound up bringing the B-52 back to GC. I cranked the amp up to halfway...which is something I'm just never gonna do on a regular basis (though it was damn fun) and felt that the overdrive channel was a bit underwhelming. I tried the BBE Clean Booster and it made hardly any difference at all. I started thinking that there may be something not quite right with the amp (it was a Showroom model, that's been there in the store for many months) and I felt uneasy about keeping it.

So, back to the drawing board...I'd still like a tube...it'll have to be pretty low wattage, but I don't think it's possible to get high gain from the amp alone, without pedals.

I'll look at the Flextone, but I don't see many people saying it's a good metal amp. The Cube 60 is always an option...love my Micro Cube, but I think the 60 would just be more of the same. I already have Guitar Port but I'd still consider the POD (XT or X3) or other Multi FX boards along with whatever is best to play it through.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for reading. The Wife just rolls her eyes when I talk to her about this stuff.
Last edited by The End at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by The End
Well, I wound up bringing the B-52 back to GC. I cranked the amp up to halfway...which is something I'm just never gonna do on a regular basis (though it was damn fun) and felt that the overdrive channel was a bit underwhelming. I tried the BBE Clean Booster and it made hardly any difference at all. I started thinking that there may be something not quite right with the amp (it was a Showroom model, that's been there in the store for many months) and I felt uneasy about keeping it.

So, back to the drawing board...I'd still like a tube...it'll have to be pretty low wattage, but I don't think it's possible to get high gain from the amp alone, without pedals.

I'll look at the Flextone, but I don't see many people saying it's a good metal amp. The Cube 60 is always an option...love my Micro Cube, but I think the 60 would just be more of the same. I already have Guitar Port but I'd still consider the POD (XT or X3) or other Multi FX boards along with whatever is best to play it through.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for reading. The Wife just rolls her eyes when I talk to her about this stuff.

well, the other option for more gain would be a 5150 with a attenuator. Its like 60 watts, but with the attenuator, you will be able to get tube tone at low volumes. I'm pretty sure the 5150 will get you the gain you want, although, cleans aren't the greatest.

Maybe take a look at a Laney LC15 or wait for the Peavey Windsor Studio to come out later this fall. For Pedals, maybe take a look at the ZW-44 by MXR, its a really dirty OD, maybe a TS-9 or 808 would be what you need though.

Tube Amp+MultiFX= (IMO, turns tube tone to sound like digital modeling)

Don't go with the Flextone.
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Oct 3, 2007,
^ im sorry, but a 5150 with an attenuator has to be the stupidest thing ive ever heard.
getting a clean/small amp to high gain can be done and done well. but it's $$$.

another option would be to score one of these http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html and a used pod. its the same concept as the "spider valves" coming out, but its actually tried and tested.
Started a new thread...
Peavey Classic 30 + Metal Muff?
Last edited by The End at Oct 5, 2007,