Well, I'm a band of 14/15 year olds, and we've been playing together for a long time. We've got a lot of songs written and done that we can play through smoothly. People we know (and many we don't) have told us that they like our music, so we must be doing something right (we sound similar to Pennywise).

Anyways, our problem is, we can't get ANY gigs! We just want to play in front of crowds and get used to the feel of it, but we're not having any luck. So I was wondering if the UG community would be able to help us out here...how would you recommend a young band find a place to play?

*sorry for posting this on the wrong board...i'd still like it if my fellow bassists could give me a hand though . So yeah, sorry for my noobness*
Last edited by Another bassist at Sep 29, 2007,
hey pennywise is awesome...

and just look for any gig you can get. call up local venues give em your number and tell em to call you if they need a band. tell them you wanna play and just get the word out about your band. if your good gigs will come.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
Quote by Lobsterdeth
Stop playing like Pennywise.

That actually makes somewhat of sense if your music scene has little to no support for that kind of music. But I don't think that's the case.
You need to get deep in the scene and know a lot of people with connections and show your music is worth something.
Make connections, find other bands who play your style.

My current band hasn't been practicing together for more than a month, but we're really good friends with a local "powerhouse" in the scene who told us they want us to start opening for them when we're ready to play.

Look around, too. Open mic. nights, stuff like that. If you have a VFW post around, what bands around here do, is have three or four bands get together, rent out the place for a night, and charge people like a dollar to get in, and that'll cover the cost of renting out the post.

Offer to play for free at your friend's birthdays. The best way to start is by playing for free. Because, a lot of people your age will be happier to go to a free show than to pay for one.
My band got started just 3 weeks ago. We entered a battle of the bands and kinda took off from there. The reception was really positive, and another company asked us if we wanted to play one of their shows, too. All around fun.

Anyone can play these battles of the band. Trust me, all sorts of crap played the ones we did; instrumental guitar + drum duos and the like. Anyway, search out some local battles of the band from big cities near where you live. You'll have to sell tickets to family and friends, but it's worth it in the end, especially if you're actually good and can win prizes.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
My band got started just 3 weeks ago. We entered a battle of the bands and kinda took off from there. The reception was really positive, and another company asked us if we wanted to play one of their shows, too. All around fun.

Anyone can play these battles of the band. Trust me, all sorts of crap played the ones we did; instrumental guitar + drum duos and the like. Anyway, search out some local battles of the band from big cities near where you live. You'll have to sell tickets to family and friends, but it's worth it in the end, especially if you're actually good and can win prizes.

In my old band, we played a few BotB type deals, and they were pretty much popularity contests - if you could sell the most tickets then you were basically the winner. There were some really good bands that didn't have a big crowd (including mine our drummer invited a whole bunch of his friends but didn't tell them when we played...). I know that's how it is in the real world but still....

The prizes are good though - the winner of one o fthe BotBs I was in won 24 hours of studio time.
Quote by BlueShox

Look around, too. Open mic. nights, stuff like that. If you have a VFW post around, what bands around here do, is have three or four bands get together, rent out the place for a night, and charge people like a dollar to get in, and that'll cover the cost of renting out the post.

Offer to play for free at your friend's birthdays. The best way to start is by playing for free. Because, a lot of people your age will be happier to go to a free show than to pay for one.

Agreed. And Fitz's idea of BoB is good too. What you want is exposure and many times this is going to be free or low paid gigs. Getting together a group of people to rent a hall is great too, and goes back to the old early 60s idea that launched so many bands in the San Fransisco area, the dance hall concerts. ( Just make sure you don't forget about the need to come up with "insurance" money and a few people to act as security).

Back in college, the band I was in played pizza parlours (if you can imagine eating pizza while watching a punk band..well), local parties etc until we eventually made it up to the local small pub/bar scene. Good luck and keep on playing. You are at the beginning of the process known as "paying your dues".
i say you guys throw a party, and make yourselves the entertainment. talent shows at school are also good. it has been my experience that friends and family are great for support, but not always honest about your overall sound, as a band. they want to incourage you, and make you feel good. i wish my friends would have told me how bad we sounded at times, back then. after 2 1/2 years of practice, my first band and i thought we we're on top of the world(age 17). till we auditioned a drummer with studio experience. his honest evaluation of our band changed everything. and put our feet firmly back on the ground. keep practing, chances to play will come.
Honestly, when you're in high school, especially if you live in some type of suburb (like I did), you won't find too many places to play. Maybe like a couple of local venues in town will host open mic nights or something, but mainly I'd say wait for school functions or other functions with something related to your school that you can play at. When I was a freshman in high school, the junior class started a battle of the bands and that was like the first kind of school functioned show. Then when I was a senior, there were more things like a Katrina benefit show and some other things. It sucks, but in high school, theres usually not too many options of places to play at.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'