I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good science fiction novels. I don't read a lot, so I wanted to start reading more. Can anyone suggest a very good science fiction novel to start with? Thanks a lot!
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The Beast That Shouted Love At the Heart of the World.

Harlan Ellison=The Win.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Dune
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Or try some Larry Niven.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Personally I always liked H. G. Wells' writing. War Of The Worlds, The Time Machine, his short stories(which are awesome). Those are Sci Fi classics and great reading
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Well, I'll assume you enjoy music, so perhaps you could give Coheed & Cambria a try, and if you enjoy them, the science fiction graphic novels that narrate the story?
Nikolas
Thanks for your suggestions. Anything epic, non-space/robot/scientology would be good, but what do I know. Anyway, thanks!
Quote by Musian
Thanks for your suggestions. Anything epic, non-space/robot/scientology would be good, but what do I know. Anyway, thanks!

Definitely read The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World. He's got a story in there in which Santa Claus is a spy. Though.. When you say Science Fiction, do you mean Science Fiction, or Science Fantasy?
Quote by vintage x metal

Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
"Salvation a la mode, with a cup of tea"~aqualung/jethro tull
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Definitely read The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World. He's got a story in there in which Santa Claus is a spy. Though.. When you say Science Fiction, do you mean Science Fiction, or Science Fantasy?

Well I guess I mean not too technical, like "Go fix the proton nebulator, Dr. Gadget!" Yeah fantasy sounds good.
Quote by Musian
Well I guess I mean not too technical, like "Go fix the proton nebulator, Dr. Gadget!" Yeah fantasy sounds good.

Well.. Technically he's not science fiction, but I think you might like him anyway.
Read some books by Clive Barker. You could start with The Books of Blood, which are a bunch of short stories.. Or The Thief of Always. That was written SORT of as a children's book, despite being a novel. Then move on to some of his more mature books, like Weaveworld.
Quote by vintage x metal

I've heard that Dune is good. I'm looking for something long and written for adults, with a good story, engaging characters. Sorry if I'm being picky, but I'll definitely look into your suggestions.
Personally, I'm a big fan of Goosebumps.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free

When I was little, this episode scared the **** out of me. The book didn't, though. Carlie Beth scared me to death..
Quote by vintage x metal

I'm also looking for some science fiction novels/short stories.

for the record I don't mean science fantasy which is pretty much just drivel, but books like 1984, the time machine, planet of the apes etc.

for the record I don't mean science fantasy which is pretty much just drivel, but books like 1984, the time machine, planet of the apes etc.
Quote by ahallbom

If you like 1984 try A Clockwork Orange if you haven't already. In my opinion it's an amazing novel
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
I've seen the movie, is the book much better?

Also, has anyone heard of the short story "I must scream but I have no mouth"?
Quote by ahallbom
I've seen the movie, is the book much better?

Also, has anyone heard of the short story "I must scream but I have no mouth"?

Hmm, I've never seen the movie. The book is probably my favorite so I may be biased, I've heard mixed things about the movie and I would venture to say that almost all book to movie adaptations fall short of the written work.
Never heard of that short story, sorry.
Quote by J-Spoon
"Tales of Pirx the Pilot" by Stanislaw Lem.
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Classic Doctor Who novella.

It's good you like Who.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Brave New World...

What you're looking for is called Dystopian Science Fiction, by the way.
just went to chapters to find some book, they didnt have do androids dream of electric sheep or the clockwork orange in, so I got the catcher in the rye. Was that a good idea? haven't really started yet.
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, if you haven't read it already. That book is genious.

And I used to have that exact same goosebumps book, it was so wierd.