well actually i've been playing guitar for quite some time.. and i use 3 fingers for power chords... is that so wrong? will using 3 fingers pose any other problems?

should i teach myself to use two fingers?
nah i i use 3 fingers all the other guitarests i no use 3
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
nah. 3 finger power chords are root fifth root, im pretty sure. just adding an extra octave.

Edit- oh damn, you said 3 finger, i thought you said 3 fret. dude just barre it with your ring finger. might take a little getting use two but it helps. Especially when you are trying to play barre chords your fingers already have some callus(sp?).
Last edited by Metallica rulz at Sep 29, 2007,
Using 3 fingers wont pose any problems (non that i can think of). But i just find it easier and quicker to use just 2 fingers for 3 note power chords, my index finger for one string and ring finger for the other two. And it lets me make faster transitions from one chord to another. It just comes down to whats easier for u.
Last edited by black_sabbath85 at Sep 29, 2007,
i never use 2 string powerchords, they sound too eh.....
sometimes i use 4 string powerchords, like D5 3 finger, with the 5th fret A string. So its like 5th, root, 5th, root.

Sounds even fuller.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
i never use 2 string powerchords, they sound too eh.....
sometimes i use 4 string powerchords, like D5 3 finger, with the 5th fret A string. So its like 5th, root, 5th, root.

Sounds even fuller.

never heard of 4 string power chords? i dont get your example. you barre all the way down?
I use 3, because if I was to do the full bar chord i'd be using those fingers anyway.
If you play hardcore stuff, you wont have enough fingers to do what you need to do, but if you just play simple song, you wont run into any problems.
Quote by rcw110131
Don't be gay you retard.
Play whatever feels comfortable to you. I've used the barre method for a while but i recently switched to 3 fingers.
Quote by petrina_678
cool.. i guess i'll try out two fingers and see how it goes for a while...

I suggest you keep on using three fingers, there is no need to go to 2 fingers, they are just lazy and hinder you in some cool stuff.
if you ever think you'll play barre chords, keep using 3. I recently started doing it, and its made me alot faster going in and out of barre chords.
if ur gonna be switching from power chords to barre chords, then using 3 fingers will obviously be faster.
Quote by Metallica rulz
never heard of 4 string power chords? i dont get your example. you barre all the way down?

-|-----
-|-4--
-|-4--
-|-4--
-|-2--
-|-----
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
^yea. it's not even powerchord anymore. isn't powerchord 5th with no 3rd/3b notes?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm not even that theory savvy, but I know thats not a powerchord.

(Only because I can't finger it properly and I'm a Neil young fan - he uses that chord a fair bit)
Are you reelin' in the years?
i use two fingers for power chords and bar most things lol, its what ever way you want

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
That's not a Bmaj. It's missing a 5th.

It's a B5add3, which is pretty much a power chord. I've never heard anything about a power chord not being able to have 3rds.

Quote by oldfartatplay
I'm not even that theory savvy, but I know thats not a powerchord.

(Only because I can't finger it properly and I'm a Neil young fan - he uses that chord a fair bit)

Try barring on the 2nd fret with your 1st finger and using your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers to fret the 4th fret on the D, G, and B strings, respectively.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I've been recently getting into bar chords. I have no issues with E, Em and Am shapes though I do have a problem with maintaining the bar while changing chords e.g. Gm to Cm on the third fret, the A string is usually muted when I move to Cm. With uni and all, practice is minimal, but I'll get there.
FOr B, I've been trying to play it as stated previously, with a bar on the 4th fret rather than the 2nd - just play the root root without fretting the F# or is the F# (on the E) the 5th you were talking about?
Are you reelin' in the years?
Gm to Cm is a very difficult chord change. You just have to keep practicing.

And, yeah, that's the one I was talking about. You still have a 5th an octave above the missing one.

Edit - And, after practicing a bit, I find it fairly easy to fret a Bmaj the way I mentioned earlier.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Don't barre power chords with two fingers, it's a bad habit like anchoring. Some people may say do what is comfortable but just use all three fingers, it's the correct way.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
I used to hold down the root note and barre the rest with me ring finger. Now I use 3.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
3 fingers is good, because it helps later on with barre chords. A power chord has 3 notes in it, and I find that a lot of people that barre with their ring finger partially mute the octave.

Also, with chords that are like this:
-|-----
-|-----
-|-5--
-|-5--
-|-3--
-|-3--
What would their correct name be?
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
That's not a Bmaj. It's missing a 5th.

It's a B5add3, which is pretty much a power chord. I've never heard anything about a power chord not being able to have 3rds.

Try barring on the 2nd fret with your 1st finger and using your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers to fret the 4th fret on the D, G, and B strings, respectively.

Your reply manages to cram three separate pieces of misinformation into as many paragraphs.

1) that is indeed a B major chord , the fifth is the F# on the fourth string, fourth fret

2) there is no such chord as a B5add3. That would be a major chord. (translation: B major)

3) the definition of a power chord is a chord which only contains the root and the fifth, not the third.
Quote by guitarviz
the definition of a power chord is a chord which only contains the root and the fifth, not the third.

Isn't a power chord root 5th root though?
Been playing 35 years, and from my experience its much more common to play an "A" shape barre chord (fifth-string root) using the ring finger or pinky barred across the fourth, third and second strings, instead of trying to use one finger per string.

I say that not just from having been around a lot of players, but also from watching lots of videos of the great guitarists. Check out vids of Hendrix, Page etc... they all play the A shape barre chord by barreing.

There's no advantage to using one finger per string. If you want to exercise finger mobility and dexterity, there are different ways of accomplishing that goal. It's faster and less cumbersome (after you get used to it) to use the ring or pinky to barre.

Also, the ring finger is superior to using the pinky to barre, because it frees up the pinky to create a sus chord. Example: first two chords in "Unchained" by Van Halen:

---------
-7----8-
-7----7-
-7----7-
-5----5-
---------

(for full effect, use drop D tuning and add the open sixth string to above chords)
Quote by Cofflecakes
Isn't a power chord root 5th root though?

it can be either root 5th root or just root 5th. They're just different voicings (i.e. shapes)

Or any combination that only uses the root and the fifth and omits the third. For example the shapes Hendrix used on Wind Cries Mary riff is technically a power chord, because it only contains the root and fifth. That particular voicing is 5th-root-5th-root:

------------
------------
-8--9--10-
-8--9--10-
-6--7--9--
-6--7--9--

It's not what people normally think of as a power chord shape , because the fifth is the lowest note, not the root (I guess you could even call it an inverted power chord) but it's still technically a power chord, cuz it doesn't have the third.
sweet. I seem to be involved in a never ending argument with friends about what exactly a power chord contains, I think im going to copy and paste your post for msn tomorrow
I started off only using 2 fingers, but now i am starting play songs that have power and barre chords in it, so i definitely recommend using 3 fingers.
Makes transitions from power to barre chords way easier and quicker
Hey, you know what, I think I misunderstood the original question. I'm thinking of guys that play the A shape barre chord (fifth string root) with all four fingers: they barre with their first finger, then put the middle on the fourth string, ring on the third string, and pinky on the second string.

But that's not a power chord, that's a full chord (root, third and fifth are all present). And now I'm realizing what I should have realized at first: the thread title says: *power* chords with 3 fingers. Not full barre chords. DOH!

So I guess you all are talking about something like this:

---
---
-9-
-9-
-7-
---

where the first finger is on the fifth string, ring finger on fourth string, and pinky on third string. Instead of using ring or pinky to barre the fourth and third strings. Sure, that's real common, I like playing power chords that way too, fattens it up a bit.

Sorry for not reading the thread carefully. I've jammed with a guitarist recently who played fifth string root barre chords using all four fingers of his fret hand, and it just struck me as such a dumb way to play that full barre chord that I guess it got stuck in my mind...
Quote by Cofflecakes
3 fingers is good, because it helps later on with barre chords. A power chord has 3 notes in it, and I find that a lot of people that barre with their ring finger partially mute the octave.

Also, with chords that are like this:
-|-----
-|-----
-|-5--
-|-5--
-|-3--
-|-3--
What would their correct name be?

If you imagine there's a 7th string on that guitar, it'll be like this:
G|-5-
D|-5-
A|-3-
E|-3-
B|-1-
So it's a C power chord with a 5th root. C5/G, if you will. These type of chords are used a lot by Dimmu Borgir, for example. It depends on who's looking, of course - it could be called a G4, but I think it sounds more like a C, but that's just me.
I'm a communist. Really.
Last edited by Raziel2p at Oct 5, 2007,