Page 1 of 2
i have been into kenny chesney for a few years and i gotta say, this guy makes me wanna do country music. i also like keith urban for his originality and dexterity. as well as brad paisley for his shredding capabilities and song writing. i was wondering if any of you could recommend any country bands with similiar styles as these people, or if theirs anything in particular that you like these days. nothing wrong with old country, im just a little tired of it.
SOLID SNAKE: "I ate one and it recharged my battery."
I must say im a sucker for rascal flatts, though they dont really have a specific thing...more like the good part is when their songs come together. Though they are quite a bit more on the pop country side anyways...
so are the other guys i listen to, but rascal flats aint that bad. except covering an eighties song was something they shouldnt have done. i think "sara beth" was a pretty intense song. i mean for the subject matter.
SOLID SNAKE: "I ate one and it recharged my battery."
Listen to Shoote Jennings, Ted Russell Kamp, Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown and Hank Williams III
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Yeah, Cross Canadian Ragweed is badass. Also listen to some of these:

Eli Young Band
Randy Rogers Band
Brooks and Dunn

And to get the country feel, sort of, you can listen to some of these:

Sister Hazel
Hootie & the Blowfish

And the Eagles and Bon Jovi has some country stuff.
I like..
-Big and Rich
-Blake Shelton
-Aaron Pritchett
-Johny Cash
-Chris Cagle
-Mark Wills
Brad Paisley like you said
Shooter Jennings is awesome, he adds some blues and rock to country
Montgomery Gentry is a great band(saw them at Country Thunder)
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams & Jr.
Allen Jackson
Dierks Bently
Wayland Jennings
Johnny Cash the only country worth listening to.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Johnny Cash the only country worth listening to.

thats ignorant. I hate people that say that "the only good country is Johnny Cash." Its just people that think its cool to like Johnny Cash, but don't even give any other country artist a chance.
how are you gonna come
Little Big Town
The Wreckers

Enough siad.

Member of the No-Testicle Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!

Founder of the 'I'm Abstaining From Sex Until Marriage And Damn Proud Of It!' Club. PM me to join!
Quote by Rock1986
thats ignorant. I hate people that say that "the only good country is Johnny Cash." Its just people that think its cool to like Johnny Cash, but don't even give any other country artist a chance.
My older sister listens to country, I've heard alot. I know all the modern stuff and hate it. There are a couple of older country singers that I like besides Cash: Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and a couple more. Johnny Cash is the best.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
My older sister listens to country, I've heard alot. I know all the modern stuff and hate it. There are a couple of older country singers that I like besides Cash: Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and a couple more. Johnny Cash is the best.

Well, I can understand that, I hate most of the new country thats coming out right now (save for a few bands/artists like Shooter Jennings, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Brooks and Dunn, George Strait). But a friend and I were just talking about all these people that jump on the Johnny Cash band wagon, and I realized how much it annoys me. But obviously you aren't one of those types, and I offer an apology. Also, do you ever listen to Waylon Jennings or Alabama?
how are you gonna come
Rascal Flatts are pretty good. I like Taylor Swift as a singer though, she's right nice.

Check out the Charlie Daniels Band if you want to go way back.

Get off my lawn.
Last edited by HawkaLuigi at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by Rock1986
Well, I can understand that, I hate most of the new country thats coming out right now (save for a few bands/artists like Shooter Jennings, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Brooks and Dunn, George Strait). But a friend and I were just talking about all these people that jump on the Johnny Cash band wagon, and I realized how much it annoys me. But obviously you aren't one of those types, and I offer an apology. Also, do you ever listen to Waylon Jennings or Alabama?

It's cool. I have a wide variety of music I like. My dad listened to county, folk ,blues, and classic rock, my mom listened to old soul and RnB, and my older sister listened to pop and pop rock. Now I listen to all that plus punk, ska, reggea, pop punk, rap, indie, and old emo.

I like Waylon Jennings okay, but I don't really like Alabama
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Oct 24, 2007,
Old Crow Medicine Show

If you check out anybody mentioned in this thread, make it them.
Listen to Rascal Flatts, very modern.

Does anyone know where I can find guitar tabs for Rascal Flatts's new album. Like Bob that Head, Still Feels Good, Take me there, etc....?
Tracy Lawrence, Aaron Tippin
You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise Bog! I'm cured!
I'm going to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of country music...I can't stand the mainstream modern stuff.

But you may or may not have heard of this band the Old 97's, I'm a big fan of them. It's not really straight up country, but it's influenced a lot by country so you might like it.

Also, a man by the name of Tim Hardin. Made some great melancholy music in the late 60s, early 70s. "Black Sheep Boy" is an amazing song as well as a cover of "Simple Song of Freedom" and an assortment of others.
take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship, my senses have been stripped.
Neko Case!!!!
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by jake the eskimo
I'm going to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of country music...I can't stand the mainstream modern stuff.

The mainstream modern stuff isn't really country.
Quote by sargasm
Old Crow Medicine Show

If you check out anybody mentioned in this thread, make it them.

I agree. They are nothing like what you are asking for but that doesn't matter 'cuz pop-country is awful. They are old time which is WAY early country.

Listen to Johnny Cash, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams, Hank Williams III, Buck Owens, George Jones and Wayne Hancock. Also I discovered a band on the internet that is pretty un-well known: Lenny and The Piss Poor Boys, I downloaded their album from somewhere and thoroughly love it. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=74791845

Also there is a country thread down yonder VVVVV It says good country though so keep your Kenny Chesney out
Last edited by Beakwithteeth at Jan 5, 2009,
Check out Jackson Taylor & The Sinners...you will not be dissapointed if you like in your face country honky tonk music.

http://www.myspace.com/thejacksontaylorband

Awesome live shows and amazing lyrics
Gear...
Fender Tele Standard - White w/mint green pickguard
Yamaha Acoustic
Ibanez 5-String Bass - SR405QM
Line 6 Spider III 120w amp
Line 6 FBV Shortboard Footswitch
Hey Bro if you want another artist thats bad ass, is Jason Aldean
also check out toby keith
Quote by indierock+roll!
Dixie Chicks...no one better in the last ten years.

You haven't looked hard enough.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
everyone needs to check out the little willies.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i love so many country bands... Here's a list of what I like.

Artists with songs in parenthesis"(___)"

Miranda Lambert (Gunpowder & Lead, Kerosene, Famous In A Small Town, Etc)
Taylor Swift ( Love Story, White Horse, Tied Together With A Smile, Our Song, Etc)
Jamey Johnson ( The Dollar, In Color)
Montgomery Gentry ( Roll With Me, My Town, etc)
Sheryl Crow (First Cut is the Deepest, Picture with Kid Rock, Real Gone, etc)
Wreckers (Leave the Pieces, My Oh My)
Joey & Rory (Cheater, Cheater)
Jewel ( Stronger Woman )
Older Dixie Chicks ( Travelin' Soldier, Cowboy Take Me Away, Wide Open Spaces, Etc.)
SheDaisy ( I'm Takin' The Wheel, Little Goodbyes, I Will... But, Etc.)
Sugarland ( Stay, Down To Mississippi, Everyday America, Baby Girl, etc)
Little Big Town ( Boondocks, A Little More You, Bring It On Home
Zac Brown Band ( Chicken Fried)

Would love to have tabs and chords to all these songs. LOL I haven't had time to search for all of them yet so I don't know what all is available here.
If there's one thing I can't stand more than country, it's cheesy country pop like Rascall Flatts. I can't stand the genre. That being said, I am completely in love with the Canadian electric country band The Sadies. I saw them live at the Ottawa Folk Festival this past summer. On record, they're simply a very melodic country-rock band. Live, they have a very punk-rock stage preence and play around with noise and feedback. If you ever get a chance to see them, please do. You won't regret it.
Page 1 of 2