Hey all,

I am currently looking for a new electric guitar.
I have a yamaha pacifica 112 now, but I want something better.
So I have been looking at the regular epiphone les paul custom and elitist. I searched the internet for differences or reviews about both guitars, but I couldn't find any good ones.
But I heard that the neck from the elitist is thicker than the neck of the normal custom, is this true?
And does anyone has any experiences with both or one of these guitars?
Which one should I buy, and what are the differences between them?
The point is that I only can buy the elitist on the internet, so I can't test it.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by which ones pink
The Elitist by far, they're on par with most Gibsons. But in that price range, you can still get better guitars. What are your styles of music, budget, and current amp?

I play a little bit of rock, like canon rock, and punk.
My current amp is a Line6 Spider 3 15 watt and a line6 pod xt live.
like 1000 euro, or less.
im prob not going to be the only one to tell you this...

but get a new amp... even if you upgrade the guitar its not going to sound any/much better through that amp...

a ****ty guitar and good amp can still sound pretty good... a nice ass guitar through a ****ty amp sounds like polished ****... but **** none the less...

and its true some of the higher end epiphones can compete with gibsons. Ive played some really ****ty gibson faded sg specials... but I found mine and loved it :P

but an elitist epiphone wouldnt be a bad guitar either... but like i said, i would highly recommend a decent amp
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by JKM

But I heard that the neck from the elitist is thicker than the neck of the normal custom, is this true?
Not at all. All Epiphone guitars, from the cheapest to the most expensive, all use the same necks.

Quote by JKM

Which one should I buy, and what are the differences between them?
The main differences are the Elitists get the first pick of the best quality woods, more care and attention is put into making them, they're tested more thoroughly in quality control, and they have better hardware as standard. They are in fact exactly like Gibsons, only built better at the cost of having slightly worse stock pickups, and you have to have Epiphone's one stock neck profile, whereas with Gibson you normally have the choice of two neck profiles. Once you start looking at this level of guitar though, you'll also be looking at changing the pickups regardless. Simply put, Epiphone Elitist guitars are some of the best you'll ever come across.

Anyway, between the Elitist series and the regular Custom:
- The Elitist will give you slightly better quality right out of the box, and you're guaranteed that it will be a well-made guitar.
- The regular Custom can be just as good with minor upgrades, and even with upgrading it, it'll still end up cheaper, probably. You also have the advantage of being able to try it out in a store first.

The second part there is also a key. Epi's regular guitars (i.e. non-Elitist guitars) have funny quality standards, sometimes they'll be as good as the Elitists, sometimes they're average, and sometimes they're downright awful. Obviously this is virtually random, so you have to try out the specific guitar first in person before you buy it - you should never by a regular Epiphone guitar online, for example. On the other hand, this isn't the case with the Elitist; they're always good quality.

I say, if you have the time and are willing to put the effort in, try a bunch of regular Epi LP Customs out, find the best one you can get your hands on, change it's pickups, maybe change it's bridge if need be, and there, you're done. You'll probably save yourself some money this way which can go toward a better amp.
Ok, thanks.
How will I know which custom is good and which one is bad?
And what kind of amp is a good amp?
Quote by bokuho
Not at all. All Epiphone guitars, from the cheapest to the most expensive, all use the same necks.

The main differences are the Elitists get the first pick of the best quality woods, more care and attention is put into making them, they're tested more thoroughly in quality control, and they have better hardware as standard. They are in fact exactly like Gibsons, only built better at the cost of having slightly worse stock pickups, and you have to have Epiphone's one stock neck profile, whereas with Gibson you normally have the choice of two neck profiles. Once you start looking at this level of guitar though, you'll also be looking at changing the pickups regardless. Simply put, Epiphone Elitist guitars are some of the best you'll ever come across.

Anyway, between the Elitist series and the regular Custom:
- The Elitist will give you slightly better quality right out of the box, and you're guaranteed that it will be a well-made guitar.
- The regular Custom can be just as good with minor upgrades, and even with upgrading it, it'll still end up cheaper, probably. You also have the advantage of being able to try it out in a store first.

The second part there is also a key. Epi's regular guitars (i.e. non-Elitist guitars) have funny quality standards, sometimes they'll be as good as the Elitists, sometimes they're average, and sometimes they're downright awful. Obviously this is virtually random, so you have to try out the specific guitar first in person before you buy it - you should never by a regular Epiphone guitar online, for example. On the other hand, this isn't the case with the Elitist; they're always good quality.

I say, if you have the time and are willing to put the effort in, try a bunch of regular Epi LP Customs out, find the best one you can get your hands on, change it's pickups, maybe change it's bridge if need be, and there, you're done. You'll probably save yourself some money this way which can go toward a better amp.
The Custom's not just as good with minor upgrades at all, the Elitist is a professional quality MIJ guitar, the Custom is a middle of the road fancy-looking guitar that , behind all the drag, is just the same as the Standard and Studio.

The Elitist is the far superior guitar.

But you really need a new amp before you even think about a guitar like an Elitist Epiphone. Maybe try out some Orange in that pricerange. An Orange Rocker 30 may handle your genres.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
im prob not going to be the only one to tell you this...

but get a new amp... even if you upgrade the guitar its not going to sound any/much better through that amp...

a ****ty guitar and good amp can still sound pretty good... a nice ass guitar through a ****ty amp sounds like polished ****... but **** none the less...

and its true some of the higher end epiphones can compete with gibsons. Ive played some really ****ty gibson faded sg specials... but I found mine and loved it :P

but an elitist epiphone wouldnt be a bad guitar either... but like i said, i would highly recommend a decent amp

wat he said....if your gonna ask about the guitars then go for the elist, its just as good as a Gibby standard IMO, but if you dont mind a pup change and like the Custom's neck then go for that also, i think the epi custom is better than a studio but worst than a faded standard w. a pickup change IMO AND def. get a tube amp before you get a new guitar it will make worlds of difference for bedroom levels i reccomend a used Fender Blues JR (15 watts) (BTW tube wats sound louder so its usually X2.5 so 15 tube watts sounds like 45 solid statw watts) or if you want more distortion get and OD or a Crate Palmino (SP?) or if you have cash get a Orange tiny terror (15 watts) and a Cab of some sort, but the cheapest of all tube practice amps and mabye small gigs ( through a good cab..mabye mic'ed) is an Epiphone valve JR.half stack...its like 250 USD for the stack..and you will need an OD so its still cheaper then a blues JR.....sorry for typing so much but i wanted to give the TS the most help..and i dont have anything better to do.
Last edited by guitarbite.fire at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by FRDesign
Elitist. Better than lower end Gibsons.

+1 I like those guitars If I hadn't ordered the Variax 700 I'd have bought one that day.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Is this a good amp?
Orange Crush 15R
I can't buy an expensive one, because then I won't be able to buy the guitar.
Quote by JKM
Is this a good amp?
Orange Crush 15R
I can't buy an expensive one, because then I won't be able to buy the guitar.

Check out the Epiphone Valve Junior combo, it's about $120 USD, so that's about 55-60 euros? I don't know the exchange rate, sorry. However, it's still a great little amp for the styles you play.

Don't spend more than you don't want to though, in the short time I've been here, these guys are always tellings kids to get these huge tube combos when all they want to do is play in the bedroom.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'd suggest you break even. 500 on a decent guitar and the other 500 towards a decent amp.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Lots of good info above so I'll just post some clarifications based on what I have.

The MIJ Epi that I have is the Elite. I'm not that familiar with the Elitist or some of the "higher-end" Epis in the US since my experiences with those are just at Guitar Center; specifically the ones with the funky, chopped off headstocks.

It has the similar open book headstock as the Gibson.

I've noticed 2 distinct neck profiles for the MIJ Epis - the one above is similar to the Gibson '59 RI, rounded, beefy neck. Then there's the "slimmer" version similar to the '60s neck profile.

TBH, I wouldn't mistake the higher-end Epis at GC with even a Gibson Standard (an opinion). The MIJ Epis come close, again, my opinion.

I'm sure skilled players can make the cheapest Epis sound glorious compared to a noobulet with a Gibson Supreme.

Also, check out the Epi Valve Junior, very popular with the gearheads at the GG&A forum - there's a huge thread dedicated to it.