okay, ive been searching long and hard. i got my perfect amp, my perfect setup, and my perfect pick. now all i need is my perfect guitar.

ive had my eye on the Schecter CR-1 Hellraiser FR. a beautiful guitar with all high end hardware for less and a grand. its a really nice guitar that i played on for a long time (about 2 hours in the store). it seems to be absolutely perfect for what i want to do, but something keeps bugging me. those Active pickups....

im not one to knitpick or get overly worked about things, but the active EMG pickups are just too strong for my tastes (Neo-classical, rock, metal, ect.). i really want to the sound of Seymore Duncans out of the Schecter, but the duncan designed arent quite good enough. i tried calling schecter about getting a cr-1 hellraiser with passives, but they gave me that "We don't change anything in out Diamond Series guitars" bit. it really saddened me. i like the guitar and the look.

now, onto my request for help. do those with EMGs use any means to calm the tone of the active pups? if so, i could really use some help with it. just some way to get a nice "Twang" instead of the "BOOM" that comes with having them.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Last edited by ashra at Sep 29, 2007,
i have a schecter c-1 FR w/ an emg 81/89 combo. i have to say i really do love it. it's not lacking much in the area of cleans. the 81 in the bridge is plenty twangy, as is the 89 when tapped.

and yeah, all guitar companies make things to soften the out put of their pick ups. you know the volume and tone controls on the guitar...

anyway, why not just get the c-1 FR? it's got an OFR and passive pick ups. basically same guitar with out the gaudy paint job. straight black, classy.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
you could always sell the EMG's and put some seymour duncans in, although you'd probably have to dish out a few extra bucks if you get them installed by someone else, although its not hard... I believe you'd want to change the pots to. Theres a big difference betweens the pots active and passive use. I believe you can still use them, you just wont get a wide variety for volume or the tone... someone correct me if im wrong though.

but I mean if you like the shecter, and the floating trem (please tell me you know how to set one up), it really wouldnt be a huge deal to change the pups in them, and you could sell the pickups for an almost new price most likely because well... they are

EDIT* I misread the post above me :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by gpderek09

anyway, why not just get the c-1 FR? it's got an OFR and passive pick ups. basically same guitar with out the gaudy paint job. straight black, classy.

The C-1 FR has a licensed rose...I second getting the Hellraiser, but swapping the pickups and changing out the pot. The blood red body is awesome.

If the floyd rose isn't essential, this Schecter Artist looks like the greatest guitar value available, period.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Sep 29, 2007,
thanks for the advice guys. i will get the hellraiser just because it would be stupid to pass up the deal and i'll mess around with the tone to get a good sound for me.

@fast fingers: that artist series is really nice, but i already have a good guitar without FR so i dont need another.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Quote by ashra
thanks for the advice guys. i will get the hellraiser just because it would be stupid to pass up the deal and i'll mess around with the tone to get a good sound for me.

@fast fingers: that artist series is really nice, but i already have a good guitar without FR so i dont need another.

where are you from? if your in the UK i can sell u a hellraiser FR.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The C-1 FR has a licensed rose...I second getting the Hellraiser, but swapping the pickups and changing out the pot. The blood red body is awesome.

If the floyd rose isn't essential, this Schecter Artist looks like the greatest guitar value available, period.

eh, well mine has an OFR, i didn't know they stopped making them with OFRs.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
If you're set on the Floyd, just get the guitar and switch out the pickups. If you're okay with no trem, get a C-1 Classic or Blackjack.