Ok i have a roland microcube.... and its nice, but i would love to upgrade.
Im thinking of something from 10 to 30 watts.

I play punk, rock and some heavier stuff.

I've been thinking of roland cubes 20x, 30 .... or vox ad15vt... but some say the vox does ot handle high gain well. truthfully i dont need so many efx and all the amp modling ... in fact i dont mind a much simpler amp....

I am buying a new guitar soon, either a omen 6 an ibanez rg321 or even a fender/squier strat

PLEASE suggest ... and also i would like to know which amps i should totally stay away from!

thanks!!!!!!!!! alot
what kinda tunes do you play? how long have you been playing for and what sorta tones are you looking for?

edit: whoops didn't see the genres listed..

well i play lots of metal (you can check it out in my profile) and i feel the vox series does just fine for metal. if you're diming out your gain it'll turn to static anyway..

the rolands and vox's you're looking at are very good quality amps and i'm sure you'd be very happy with them. i'd try to go for the 30 watt versions of either amp since you get a decent sized speaker in those as well. (i think its a 10")

on this forum people will tell you to stay away from the marshall MG's and the line6 spiders.

i have no opinion on them. i have tried them before, overall the roalnds and the voxs are just nicer.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Sep 29, 2007,
I actually own a Line 6 Spider II 212, and its actually one hell of an amp. The only thing i complain about it is that its clean isnt as pristine as it could be, but you can't ask for more when it comes to combo amps. It's got a noise gate and tuner built in as well as 7 diff effects, four presets (Lifesavers) and very nice sounding distortion. Keep in mind i play on a Jay Turser Les Paul, so im on a low end guitar as well

Marshall MG's I like, but honestly never got to sit down and really play with them, I've palyed the Line 6 Live, and it works fine at all volume levels and it gets so loud, i never have had to turn it past 6-7, and that was the loudest i've ever pushed it, due to my ears nearly bleeding, lol

The Vox and Rolands i played on were good amps, i just never got into their sound, i was always a fender or Line6 man myself
Try a Vox Valvetronix XL 50w or Roland Cube 60. They'd both handle gig and your musical tastes well, and would sound considerably better than anything else in that pricerange for those styles.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Mostly, stay away from MG's and Spiders. Notourious for being totaly ****, in all honesty, i wouldnt upgrade the microcube to another cube, there isnt much point, 10-30 ss isnt realy going ot be loud enough to get you over a drummer anyhow, so it seems pretty much going on a straight line over upgrading.. The voxes are nice thugh, but you allready have a moddeler that seems to satisfy your needs.

I fyou want to upgrade i'd go for a valve amp and keep the microcube, soomething to give you good tone over versatility for the present, then you can build up a pedal board to get the sounds you want, maybe something the the Epi VJ, Harley Benton GA5, Crate Palomino V8 etc.
Seeing as your into the metal scene it prolly isnt going to get you mcuh past the old school Sabbath and Metallica etc. but it'd be a better choice IMO.
o btw... I'm not going to gig with the amp... its just for bedroom practice so nothing too loud!
Well then why upgrade, esp to another cube? I really dont understand, the Microcube is prolly better than the 15 and 20 watter, I suppose with the 30 youd have better tone due to a larger speaker. But if you're actualy after a better tone i'd go valve.

Maybe even the Laney LC15, a used JCM900, Peavey Windsor combo (If its out.)
There isnt much point upgrading if you aren't going to do it properly.

Good to see another female around though. :P:
good call on the peavey windsor studio actually, becky. It's not out yet, so you'd have to wait, and also we haven't tried it, so it's not inconceivable that it could suck royally. but the head version is nice, so there's a chance it'll be good.

I agree about not really bothering to upgrade to a larger cube etc.... possibly a waste of money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by petrina_678
Ok i have a roland microcube.... and its nice, but i would love to upgrade.
Im thinking of something from 10 to 30 watts.

I play punk, rock and some heavier stuff.

I've been thinking of roland cubes 20x, 30 .... or vox ad15vt... but some say the vox does ot handle high gain well. truthfully i dont need so many efx and all the amp modling ... in fact i dont mind a much simpler amp....

I am buying a new guitar soon, either a omen 6 an ibanez rg321 or even a fender/squier strat

PLEASE suggest ... and also i would like to know which amps i should totally stay away from!

thanks!!!!!!!!! alot

theres a BIG difference between a fender and a squire strat, i just wanted to point that out lol
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
get an orange 30R
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
I don't get why you guys are so against Line6 Spiders. They may suck low end, but if you put the cash down, they are really good amps
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I don't get why you guys are so against Line6 Spiders. They may suck low end, but if you put the cash down, they are really good amps

Because you couldve got a Roland Cube/Vox ADVT for the same price and all the same features and alot less of a 'plugging your guitar into a robot' sound. Besides that insane Channel makes me want to kill puppies just soo I have something else to listen too
how much are you willing to spend on your upgraded amp? have you tried any larger amps out yet that you may have enjoyed already?

edit: and yea the line 6 spiders are pretty bunk. just with any of the budget line amps of ANY amp maker. like the MG's by marshall or the Crushes by orange. go into the higher end of any of these amp manufacturers and its a whole new ball game.

JCMs, Rocker 30s, and Vetta are all fantastic amps from the same companies that also produce some bunk stuff.

but these bunk amps still have their place. they're a hell of alot better than the amps you'd be getting in your squier starter pack, and give people a chance to get a slightly better amp without going to the creme a le creme and spending upwards of $2000 for something they 'just play around with'
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Sep 29, 2007,
Well i hate the insane setting myself, For the most part. i've fiddled with it enough to give it character and strong distrotion, and a really nice clean, and my pedals do what i need them to outside that, like my Dunlop Crybaby. The insane setting is horrible i agree, but they really arn't that bad, i've gigged with them, and they hold up just fine for hardcore/metal. I didn't care for the same price range roland or Vox amps, they didn't give enough force for me.
As Becky said why get another Cube or modeling amp? A much bigger upgrade would be a 5 watt tube combo and a few good analog pedals. It'll sound so much better and will serve you as a practice amp for years even if you get a higher powered amp down the line.
Quote by uldhppi
As Becky said why get another Cube or modeling amp? A much bigger upgrade would be a 5 watt tube combo and a few good analog pedals. It'll sound so much better and will serve you as a practice amp for years even if you get a higher powered amp down the line.

I agree, I think stick with your guns, save up for a low wattage tube amp.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Well i hate the insane setting myself, For the most part. i've fiddled with it enough to give it character and strong distrotion, and a really nice clean, and my pedals do what i need them to outside that, like my Dunlop Crybaby. The insane setting is horrible i agree, but they really arn't that bad, i've gigged with them, and they hold up just fine for hardcore/metal. I didn't care for the same price range roland or Vox amps, they didn't give enough force for me.

That's you opinion, good for you if you like it. But i've heard some really nice damn tone coming from amps of a similar price range that just pisses all over the spider. It serves its purpose as a practice amp, but i would not buy the big 100 zillion watters for gigging.

150 watt spider combo = about £250. LC15 and VC15 both easily available for that price, epi vj, AD50TC, roland cube 60,
the head/cab costs about £450 total, you couldve got a DSL401, a pro jr, a blues jr, maybe scrape a hot rod, an RG50TC, a used JCM900/800 combo etc.
Blahblahblah, if it doesnt have enough gain, get a pedal. the point is, people hate them because theyre digital and compressed and sterile.
^ Yeah, and for £450 you could scrape a used GH50L and cab!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well, you could prolly get the head new and find a used cab. And so much more, you just gota know what youre doing, sure if you get a good deal on something, why not, yoiu can sell it and make a good profit, but paying full price on a Spider half stack is ridiculous if you're educated on amps.