i'm completely new to tube amps, and this may seem a dumb question but do new tubes have a shelf life if left unused. i'm thinking of getting a set of backup tubes for my VJ head.

cheers
Quote by Geoff Webber
i'm completely new to tube amps, and this may seem a dumb question but do new tubes have a shelf life if left unused. i'm thinking of getting a set of backup tubes for my VJ head.

cheers

Well what do you reckon happens at guitar stores? they leave them there for a tiem period and if its not bought they throw it out?
they will never turn too "old" i think
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Thanks guys

and to Henza X

They could do. Supermarkets put food out then dispose of it if not sold by its 'sell by date' and lots of things have a shelf life. Just because people don't know something there's no need to be sarcastic.
Last edited by Geoff Webber at Sep 29, 2007,
I'm using an ancient Sylvania 6L6 in my Fender Champ that I picked up at a resale shop, it's been in the amp for around 5 years, and was probably in someone's radio in the 50's then sat around in a box in their attic for 40 years... The original power tubes in my Super Reverb were still working when I got it 4 years ago, the amp was made in 1973. I replaced them just to be on the safe side, since I plan to use the amp regularly onstage and wanted everything in good shape. It still has several of the original preamp tubes, I'm gradually replacing them as I get a few bucks here and there.

Tubes won't deteriorate sitting on the shelf as far as I know, and from what I've been able to find out about the only thing that does have an adverse effect is turing the amp on and off and the resulting expansion and contraction of metal parts from heating up and cooling down. I had a friend years ago who kept his Peavey Butcher powered up at all times to reduce tube fatigue, when I moved out of town the tubes had been in use for around 5 years that I'm aware of and still sounded great. He'd put it on stand by and leave it that way, greatly reducing wear on the tube components because they never cooled down and therefore never expanded and contracted. I kept my Fender Champ powered up 24/7 for about 5 years, still running the same preamp tube and rectifier tube, replaced the power tube when I got the Sylvania, it sounds better than the old one so I left it in there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Cheers Paleo Pete

Just what i was looking for. Was thinking of getting a spare set of tubes for that s*** happens moment which usually happens when shops are shut.
yeah, the whole NOS market(NOS= new old stock) is based off tubes that have been sitting for a long time. The only thing I could see affecting their life is an air leak, which would have a lot to do with how well they were originally made.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids