okay,i just jammed with another lead guitarist yesterday,and he kinda kicked my butt,it was partially cuz he had an awesome tone,low action and a better technique,but also there was this,his notes were so goddam clear and sonically punching through,while mine werent as clear,sounded weak and ordinary and i sometimes caused sting noise (which made me sound really pathetic!)

now,this could be all due to my ****ty gear and high action,but still it could be a picking thing,i realised from watching other players they kinda rest their palms on the bridge,while i was taught on a classical guitar and im used to not touching the guitar with my picking hand at all,

so i was wondering if i should try and get used to resting part of my palm on the bridge,i wonder if this will help reduce string noise and give my notes clarity and strength,or should i keep my (no touching the guitar body) method?? and if so,how can i make my noted clear and powerful???

sorry for the long type,ive been thinking about this all night and it is just giving me the blues!
any help appreciated!
i had this problem too until very recently. Basically, if you're playing slowly, try to put awesome and unique vibrato on every single note. also, putting your palm on the bridge can sound good sometimes, awful other times, so every time you learn a new lick or chop then try playing it at varying speeds with different kinds of vibrato and different kinds of muting. good luck
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by joeymaxx
What amp + guitar do you have?
What amp + guitar did he have ?

ya
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
well,i have a slammer xp-1,strung for a lefty,and i was playing right through a very battered carvin 60W amp that howls with feedback whenever gain is beyond 4 (not mine!) he was playing a nameless singlecoil guitar,but he had a multieffects pedal right into the mixer (we were at a studio and i didnt own a pedal,so i took the amp)
i dunno if its a tone thing or not,but musically,my passages were slow/fast and more emotional than his (i cant really play very fast when improvising,i need to think as i go!),and with good vibrato,but his passages,were fast,clear and really impressive sonically,i really want to make my notes as clear as that
Quote by Alijonroth
well,i have a slammer xp-1,strung for a lefty,and i was playing right through a very battered carvin 60W amp that howls with feedback whenever gain is beyond 4 (not mine!) he was playing a nameless singlecoil guitar,but he had a multieffects pedal right into the mixer (we were at a studio and i didnt own a pedal,so i took the amp)
i dunno if its a tone thing or not,but musically,my passages were slow/fast and more emotional than his (i cant really play very fast when improvising,i need to think as i go!),and with good vibrato,but his passages,were fast,clear and really impressive sonically,i really want to make my notes as clear as that
if thats the case, then its almost definately a tone thing.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
but,but...the string noise! how come his passages were so clear without any of that?? is it because of his picking position?or is his tone covering over that too?
Quote by Alijonroth
but,but...the string noise! how come his passages were so clear without any of that?? is it because of his picking position?or is his tone covering over that too?

a multieffects pedal means hes most likely got some sort of noise gate on which would help clean up his sound
well,should i get a muliteffects pedal too,or can i so something to clean up my playing??should i try getting used to the other picking position?or just keep the no touching one?everyone i see seems to be resting his hand,is it better?
everyone here has offered pretty bad advice to you.

it isnt a tone problem (you do have a tone problem, but that isnt what you were talking about in this case), the problem is that you have a very awkward picking technique.

when soloing especially, keep your hand on the strings you arent playing to mute them, and get a MUCH clearer sound from the strings you are playing (unless you want the string to ring, of course). also, thanks to the added support, you dont have to worry about where your hand will go, and you'll be able to play much much faster, like him.

your technique at the moment must really hurt. dont worry, dude, you'll be great in no time
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
yea dont blame your guitar. if your notes dont sound clear you need to fix your technique. resting you hand on strings that you arnt playing, or getting a little supposrt from the bridge can help, but you dont want to get in the habit of having your whole hand always resting on some part of the guitar. this will limit you in the long run and make it harder to play on different guitars that might be different sizes or shapes.
Quote by Alijonroth
okay,i just jammed with another lead guitarist yesterday,and he kinda kicked my butt,it was partially cuz he had an awesome tone,low action and a better technique,but also there was this,his notes were so goddam clear and sonically punching through,while mine werent as clear,sounded weak and ordinary and i sometimes caused sting noise (which made me sound really pathetic!)

now,this could be all due to my ****ty gear and high action,but still it could be a picking thing,i realised from watching other players they kinda rest their palms on the bridge,while i was taught on a classical guitar and im used to not touching the guitar with my picking hand at all,

so i was wondering if i should try and get used to resting part of my palm on the bridge,i wonder if this will help reduce string noise and give my notes clarity and strength,or should i keep my (no touching the guitar body) method?? and if so,how can i make my noted clear and powerful???

sorry for the long type,ive been thinking about this all night and it is just giving me the blues!
any help appreciated!
I can say, pretty officially, that this problem is:

1) Half caused by gear - your tone obviously sucks. If your notes aren't punching through and you sound duff whatever you play, it's a gear problem;

2) The other half is technique. If you keep making ambient string noise, you need to work on your playing.. A lot.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
improve your technique. Learn to mute, but don't anchor.

maybe try a different EQ setting. are you scooping the mids?

if so, that can make it harder to hear your playing whilst other instruments are playing.

I'm assuming that you were playing with a full band.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i was playing with a full band,no i dont scoop mids,but i tried resting my hand yesterday and it did make picking sound really better,however,i feel sweeping is much easier with a free unresting hand,

i was a bit hesitated cuz i was told during my acoustic guitar period never to rest my hand,so that would take a little getting used to,also the alternation between resting/free hand when i want to sweep
well,thanks everyone for the advice,im working on my picking,and hopefully,im gonna reach clarity nirvana!