ok, i finally have a legitamit question. dont tell me to use the search bar either b/c that NEVER works for me.

anyway, is there anyway that u can use active pups w/o having to use batteries?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
what he said ^
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
so is there any specific reason, or is that just the way it is?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Active pickups use batteries. Passive pickups don't. That's the way it is.
Active pickups work by making a very weak, low output, extremely trebley signal and then boosting and shaping that with an internal preamp to make it sound good. The Battery is to power the preamp.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I went to a clinic with this mad guitarist (brett garsed) demoing for esp and there were tonnes of add's around for passive pups rather than active by metal players, what do passive have over active?
Passives are generally more versatile, if you go active it's usually for very specific reasons eg higher output signal to drive a tube amp, or a flat EQ'd, consistent signal for effects processing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^x2 People seem to think you need active pickups to play metal, when in reality I can probably name more metal guitarists that use passive than active. Sure, Active will get you a great metal sound through a good setup but so will passive. Some people like active because they say they have more output and clarity. Some prefer passive because they find that they're more toneful, and many can match (or at least come very close to) the output of actives.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join