Is it a good idea if i practice economy picking and string skipping by playing all the open chords note for note, and switch them, only hitting the notes that are held down? I don't hold them all at the same time because i want to practice shreding at the same time. Is this is a good idea to develope techinique? do this while switching chords around? I'm making sure i'm still economy picking/sweep picking while i'm doing it.
It's not going to be particularly useful because the key to those techniques is synchronising both hands. If you want to practice any sort of picking then your left hand has to be doing something more constructive than holding down a chord if you want it to be any use.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok, so if i like, while sweep picking, press the notes of the chord down in a sequence individually, one at a time... <_< woudl that be scrinchonizing? should I throw some hammer-ons, pull offs, and other techniques in there?
You can't sweep pick without doing that, if you don't then it isn't sweeping, it's just strumming. In sweep picking the right hand picks downward in one constant stroke whilst the left hand fingers each note individually - it's a VERY advanced technique...how long have you been playing?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Just to remind you, synchronizing means to be able to play notes clearly at a fixed paced, or coordination of your hands. Sweep picking does sometimes include those,,, techniques, so yeah you could add them.
Well, strictly speaking it just means "to do two things at the same time", but yeah, the co-ordination between the left and right hands is the most important aspect of all guitar techniques. If you work the right hand too much and neglect the left you start to develop bad habits like hitting the open strings between chord changes and picking "double" notes when trying to play faster lead passages.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Okay, then forget sweeping for a LONG time...maybe come back to it in a year or two

It's one of those techiques that you can't even contemplate learning until yor basic techniques are flawless, and that isn't going to be the case after a month. Just concentrate on accurately and cleanly fretting notes, picking accurately and cleanly and learning to change chords quickly and smoothly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Hahaha, totally agree with you! A month's, well i'm surprised you heard of sweep picking.
What are the basic techniques? Can you give me a small list of things to learn please if it isn't to much to ask?

I can make a recording if you want, I have one of me playing after 28 days, perhaps you can give me some help on it. I don't know, you seem to know alot more about this then me, It wasn't untill today that I found out that this was an advance tecnique.

Edit 1: are barre chords a basic technique?
Last edited by Shylock at Sep 29, 2007,
I, along with many many others, should start practicing by going up and down the fret, for finger speed. Little blur, here's a "tab",
E - 1 2 3 4
B - 1 2 3 4
G - 1 2 3 4
D - 1 2 3 4
A - 1 2 3 4
E - 1 2 3 4

Up and down, up and down, right and left, right and left. It's boring yes, but helps both coordination and speed. You can also play it 1 2 3, or 1 2, or whatever.

Then, learn and memorize your scales and later on modes. Scales and modes, buy a guitar book.. Also learn why each note is in a certain scale. Meanwhile, hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends are simple techniques that you should practice every now and then. I recommend you learn to play simple songs to your likings, like an ACDC solo, or some GNR intros.

Btw, you can learn two-string sweep picking. It's relatively easier than three strings or five. I remember there's a really really nice beginner's tutorial at the UG lessons section.
Last edited by sklthesaik at Sep 29, 2007,
If by barre chords you meant bar chords, then yes it is very commonly used so therefore, simple. Must learn or else you'll have a very small selection of songs you can play. It's really simple.
When I'm doing the 1-4 excersize your telling me about, is it important to make sure that I keep my first finger on the first fret while i'm sounding the second fret with my second finger? and so on and so fourth?
Yup, when you go to higher frets (higher octaves - 12+). It helps your finger durability, stretch, and you'll learn to play not-dead notes cuz you'll have to start slow.