I have the DS-1 self-modded to Keeley Ultra/SEM, but I can't seem to get a decent distortion out of my new Blues Junior.
No matter how I set the amp and the pedal, the distortion lacks tone and gain, which is pretty odd since on max distortion the Ultra is a freakin' gain monster.
Anyone in a similar condition with recommendations?
1-is the volume all the way up on your guitar?
2-Crank the master volume but back down on preamp volume
3-Dig into those strings
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I tried high master/low pre and high pre/low master
It still lacks gain.
Hmm. Maybe the battery is fading away...
I really need to get a goddamn power supply.
I had one. Low master/high volume you should definitely be getting some nice tube distortion, paired with a decent pedal it should sound great unless you're expecting metal or something.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
The OD I get from low master/high volume is lame as hell. It sounds truly bad
Hell, I wouldn't even call it an OD.
The only metal I listen to/play is Dream Theater, and I can get pretty decent sounds of out my old SS 20W amp, so why not from this amp?
Then either something is wrong with your amp, or something is wrong with your ears.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
i do what you do and i call mine OD. it's the creamiest thing ever.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Distortion isn't the same as over-drive.

If you want distortion you are using the wrong pedal, using an OD pedal, obviously mate.
Jackolas, the DS-1 is a distortion pedal, but we kinda strayed away from the topic, so...

About the natural OD, when I crank up the volume and lower the master + turn on the Fat mode, I basically get the same thing as if I were low vol/high master, but with a tiny amount of clipping.
I get what I would get if I were to turn on the DS-1 on 0 distortion.
Its pretty lousy...
Maybe I aint cranking the master high enough... The volume is on max and the master is on 3-4...
I would suspect that the amp gets a lot of its natural distortion from the power tubes. Some amps get more at the preamp. You may have to play it at a fairly high volume to get the sounds you want, or if your ear is hungry for preamp distortion you will either have to be satisfied with a pedal or get a different amp. These two types of distortion sound very different to my ears.
^blues jr gets as much/maybe more from the preamp. it is different, but i got a weber mini mass and i've cranked this thing. poweramp distortion is awesome, but it sounds better when u get both. i'm greedy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I just played the Blues Junior in the store today got quite a bit of overdrive...then again I guess it's how you define that term.

TS what sort of distortion/drive are you looking for?
The BJ should be able to do AC/DC and the likes on it's own, but if your looking for lead metallica style solo distortion then you might want a good pedal.

Also up till now i've been using high volume/ low master, looks like I should try it the opposite way next time.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by ECistheBest
^blues jr gets as much/maybe more from the preamp. it is different, but i got a weber mini mass and i've cranked this thing. poweramp distortion is awesome, but it sounds better when u get both. i'm greedy.

I believe you about the greedy part. So am I. Well I never had the chance to crank one. I see I need to get down to my bud's store and get current. I haven't messed much with Fender amps in a long time.
^awesome. u should. it's quite different from a valveking's poweramp saturation.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by zeppelinpage4
I just played the Blues Junior in the store today got quite a bit of overdrive...then again I guess it's how you define that term.

TS what sort of distortion/drive are you looking for?
The BJ should be able to do AC/DC and the likes on it's own, but if your looking for lead metallica style solo distortion then you might want a good pedal.

Also up till now i've been using high volume/ low master, looks like I should try it the opposite way next time.

If I could get AC/DC out of that amp, then I'd also get a wicked distortion by boosting with the DS-1.
But I cant :|
I'll try cranking it up a little today.
Well, I gave it a shot, max volume, master on 4-5, Fat switch on. I'm kinda scared to crank it up higher, its pretty goddamn loud.
Basically all I get is an EXTREMELY mild OD and a ****load of background hissing..
Its terrible. :|
And when I hook up and turn on the DS-1 its even worse. A good way to describe it would be as if there were two channels playing, a clean channel in 90 percent volume, and a distorted channel playing at 10 percent volume.
Pretty bad... Meh I think Im gonna go over and play another Blues Junior in the shop with the same settings and see how it sounds...
Maybe mines flawed.
Last edited by Ninjataiken at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by Ninjataiken
Hell Ill record it tomorrow.
I seriously wouldn't call what Im getting an OD.

Are you still going to post soundclips?
Well, I got a recording that reflects how ****ty my mic is, but not how my OD is hehe...
Well, why did you get a Blues Junior if you needed so much more gain from an amp?

When I got it, I thought the OD was too much drive for me, at max. It can get up to Led Zeppelin type OD at full pre-amp in my opinion, and a humbucker guitar. There are better 15 watt tube amps if you needed the gain, such as a Crate V16. The BJ is made for blues, that nice spot right after clean where the notes start to break up. It can get heavier, but I think it excels in that, and slight overdrive. Not gain really...maybe get an OCD or another overdrive pedal.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Look, I have a DS-1 Ultra, I shouldnt have any problem getting good gain from it, right?
Just like I have no problem getting high-gain from a solid state 20W.