Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Parker Nitefly with SD Hotrails and JB Two Tone

Amp
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
Boss DD-6
EHX Big Muff
wont make a diference, and you cant remove them. just get an active preamp or new pups.
Quote by s.r.v.
just get an active preamp

Have you ever seen a passive preamp?
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by s.r.v.
if you do the black ice overdrive thing (2 diodes in place of the tone cap) it will be a passive boost. i was talking about something like this: http://store.guitarfetish.com/activepreamps.html

Black ice is not actually a boost. You don't get any gain out of it, it just clips the signal.
MG Free At Last
Quote by ljplum12
Black ice is not actually a boost. You don't get any gain out of it, it just clips the signal.

+1000

As he says: it cuts the signal... not boosts it.
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
why cant you remove gibson pup covers? I thought they where only soldered and potted?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ They are. You can remove them. All you need is a soldering iron, a dull knife and a steady hand.

Jimmy Page has had the bridge cover removed on one of his guitars. Not to sound like an internet asshole, but Jimmy Page might very well know more about how a guitar works than the fellow with the first reply.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Give it a shot if you want, you may or may not notice a change. The potting really is what makes it pain in my opinion, sometimes the wax has a tendency to come off in little chunks which makes a mess and looks like poop.
You're supposed to repot it afterwards...

ya, its possible. Its been done by tons of people. Look up a tutorial on it. From what I hear its not too hard.
I did it to a pair of Epiphone pickups off a V. It's easy , 2 solder points on each pickup.Then gently pull the covers off.When my son played the guitar he sometimes got feedback . When I removed the covers there was no more.
the reason he got bad feedback was because you didnt pot the pickups.

When you pot pickups and wont to add covers, you have to pot it twice basically.

The first time, you want to pot it so the liquid wax penetrates the coils and hardens in them to keep them stable. Then you add the covers, and pot them again. This time its quicker, all you need is for the liquid wax to fill the space in between the covers to keep them steady and prevent feedback.

If you remove the covers, you shouldnt need to repot them. I believe gibson does pot all of their pickups, which is one of the reasons for the increased price, where as if you get seymour duncans, a good potting might be good for them. Although potting doesnt change the sound, it does help stablize them and prevent feedback.

But to pot, the ideal solution is 80% paraffin wax, and 20% beeswax. I recently ordered some covers, and got all the wax, I want to take some pictures and document it. Theres a good shellac tutorial but not a good wax potting tutorial. And if your potting with humbuckers, shellac may not be the best way to go
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial