Im in the process of modding my old Squier, thinking of things to do to it to make it an amzing guitar...

So i was thinking of scalloping its neck...

Good or bad idea?

A long, drawn out job to do?

Easy once you get the hang of it?

Worth it?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
to to projectguitar.com. They have tutorials on how to do full neck scallops and 18-24 neck scallops.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
before you do it you shoud try to find a scalloped-neck guitar to see if you like it or not.
I've never done it myself to tell you if it's hard or not, but from what I've heard, it takes bit of time to do, but isn't super hard.
Scalloping the fretboard might not be bad, but the whole neck sounds dangerous.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
There are pros and cons of scalloping, I don't really like it too much, maybe a really shallow scallop is where I like it for the upper 6 frets.

Don't make the scallops too deep or else the neck will bend from lack of wood to support the neck, and it will bow significantly.
Make sure to do it right, otherwise your neck will bow A LOT. Also, it's pretty hard to play with, because if you push too hard, you won't get the right tone, and you may bust a string!
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
Ooh...Im not sure what to do now :P
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by james4
before you do it you shoud try to find a scalloped-neck guitar to see if you like it or not.
I've never done it myself to tell you if it's hard or not, but from what I've heard, it takes bit of time to do, but isn't super hard.

The problem with that is that it's really hard to find scalloped guitars...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Exactly! There is not one in any of the 3 guitar shops in Liverpool, or if there is, its tucked away bloody well.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
You could buy a crappy used neck off ebay, then scallop that one to see if you like it (and you'll also get a better feel for scalloping, too ...probably), then if you like it, you can do it to the neck you have now.
Good or bad idea? Its up to you really. I only scallop if the guitar has small frets. It allows you to play with a lighter touch and more controlled bends however chording can suffer. There are different types of scallops; the normal aka Malmsteen one or checkmark which is Ritchie Blackmore's where you only scallop half the fret up to the 12th (mostly on the higher strings)

A long, drawn out job to do? Well it depends on what sort of job you want to do, if you havent done it before give yourself a weekend if you do the whole neck (obviously less if its not very deep, rosewood (maple is harder) and only a few frets) Just tape your frets and sand really.

Easy once you get the hang of it? Playing wise I asume? Its different, a lot of people find it very hard to play some find it easier and (time wise) probably differs for each person. If you have a light touch generally it seems easier and I wouldnt really recommend it if you are heavy handed.

Worth it? Completely up to you. Probably go shallow first then go deeper as needed if you like it.

heres a pic of my Blackmore style one if your interested (on a 70's reissue neck)

Only set up (its NOT finished in this pic and im too lazy to take another piccy) to get the feel. My other is a bit deeper but Im really only preventing a lot of contact with the wood. I could have gone a bit deeper and might even do so when I have the time but you get the gist.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!