So as the title says, lately my d string has been breaking about every week and a half to two weeks, and my a string breaks nearly as much. This has only been happening in the past two months or so, and before that I almost never broke any strings. My guitar is a Schecter C-1 plus. It's a string through body with a tune-o-matic bridge. Today I'm changing my strings and I was wondering, could the reason the aforementioned strings keep breaking be burrs on the saddles? I've noticed a little rough spot right next to the groove on my d string saddle, and if this indeed could be the cause, I'll just file it off. My only uncertainty is that I've never heard of burrs on tune-o-matic saddles. I've had to file them down on my stratocaster before though, so I was wondering, has anyone else had burrs on their tune-o-matic saddles, know someone who has, or heard about this happening? I don't want to go filing away at them until I know for sure that's what the problem is. Thanks.
it most probably is the burrs on the saddles, get a needle file and gently file them off, also rub a pencil in the grooves for lubrication of the saddles
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I have the exact same guitar as you and i never had that problem, so yeah its probably the burr.
alright, thanks guys. I don't have a needle file, would it be alright to take a little peice of 220 grit sandpaper taped around a toothpick and use that? (That's what I did when I filed burrs off or my strat)
more 800 grit wet/dry as opposed to 220 grit...don't go overkill!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I would say that if the same was happening to your strat before you filed it down,then your probably right in your assumption with the bur.I had the same probllem a few years back only it involved my Ibanez performance accoustic.I used to by my strings by the case and it just turned out to be a bad batch that slipped through the QC folks.Before I learned of this though I looked at everything from burs to my technique with my strumming to the pick itself. Sorry sometimes I ramble.Like I was saying you're probably right and the burs are a good place to start.

PEACE OUT
Quote by mcw00t
more 800 grit wet/dry as opposed to 220 grit...don't go overkill!

220 is the finest we have.
Quote by captain_jack
220 is the finest we have.

It's probably not fine enough, may as well just go buy some wet/dry from the nearest hardware place 220 is not fine enough

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
it most probably is the burrs on the saddles, get a needle file and gently file them off, also rub a pencil in the grooves for lubrication of the saddles

I don't think he'd really need the graphite lube considering it's not a tremolo of any sort. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too bright on the set-up scene. I'd say it's most likely the burrs. I always took it that any type of bridge could get burred.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
I don't think he'd really need the graphite lube considering it's not a tremolo of any sort. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too bright on the set-up scene. I'd say it's most likely the burrs. I always took it that any type of bridge could get burred.

There's no harm in the graphite lube, it might help stop the problem from happening again.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Thanks for all the help guys, I went ahead and did it. The 220 worked fine, so I guess I'll know if it was the burrs in about two or three weeks. But I just realized I forgot the graphite lube. Oh well, next time I change my strings. peace.