I was thinking about getting new pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I play mostly metal and stuff like Slipknot, Metallica, SOAD and Children of Bodom. I'll propably get EMG:s or Dimarzios. Would this be a good one or should I just eBay them?

First post btw.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Landola Classic Guitar
Roland Cube 20X
M-Audio JamLab
bodom rule. I play lots o bodom, and Alexi now uses the seymour duncan blackouts. Theyre pretty brutal.
right, here you'll get very mixed response about EMG's, personally, I hate them. Lifeless and sterile, but others swear by them.

I'm gunna say

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com

this site is run by the UG member CorduroyEW and from what I hear his pickups are very good, plus he'll wind them to you specification. He knows his stuff about the whole pickup thing too.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
the ZW set is pretty good, id go for that. i dont see why you wouldnt want to get them from the site either.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
im not a big fan of emg 81 and 85. though i like the SA's those arent for metal.

i heard good things about seymour duncan blackouts/livewires if you want to go active. if you want to go passives look at something from dimarzio.
There's zero point buying active pickups when you have a 20w solid state amp...also the Les Paul Special isn't realy worth upgrading. If you have a nice mahogany guitar and a medium-gain tube amp that you need to drive a little harder then by all means go for acitves...if you don't have those things they're a complete waste of your money. To be honest with your current setup it's not really wrth upgrading pickups at all, save the money and either put it towards a better amp or a better guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
DiMarzios are really good pick ups as well. I use the Air Zone in my JEH guitar, and it's a really good PU, dynamic and good output. But sloppy technique will shine
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by steven seagull
There's zero point buying active pickups when you have a 20w solid state amp...also the Les Paul Special isn't realy worth upgrading. If you have a nice mahogany guitar and a medium-gain tube amp that you need to drive a little harder then by all means go for acitves...if you don't have those things they're a complete waste of your money. To be honest with your current setup it's not really wrth upgrading pickups at all, save the money and either put it towards a better amp or a better guitar.

+1