first,i understand that there is a mega-thread for paint but i have dail up so i can't watch the movie+after reading all that im still confuesed

ok im going to paint a epi flying v like randy rhoads polka dot one.

Can someone tell me what is the best brand of spray paint to use(i need black and white)?

(is this right way?)

1)strip the body(i understand how to do that.)
2)paint the body white
3)let it cure(how long,do i hang it up,?)
4)stencil circles and attach them(what do i make the stencil out of....painter's tape?)
5)paint the body black
6)seal the paint(how long do i wait after last coat?)(how many caots?)(want to i even seal it with/good brand of sealent stuff)
you probably shouldn't be painting this on your own if you have that many questions i think...see if you know anyone that knows what they're doing and get them to help you.

i, by the way, do not know what i'm doing.
Some additional steps in Red:

1)strip the body(i understand how to do that.)
1a. You don't have to strip all the way to bare wood ... scuff sand (make rough) with dry 400 grit sandpaper)
1b. Remove the dust.
1c. Prime/seal with an acrylic primer, preferably white. Let dry for about an hour.
1d. Wetsand with 800-1000 grit that you soaked overnight. Wipe it down as dry as possible.

2)paint the body white
3)let it cure(how long,do i hang it up,?) for about an hour.
4)stencil circles and attach them(what do i make the stencil out of....painter's tape?) Painter's tape is fine ... or, you can buy those round, Orange stickies that shooters use for target practice. They come in different diameters. Go to a gunshop or stores that sell guns and supplies.
4a. Go over the edges with a finger to ensure there are no gaps where the paint can seep under. Go through each twice.
5)paint the body black
5a. Wetsand with 1000 grit to ensure the edges between the colors are flat, as in remove the ridges. Do this very lightly. This will ensure that it'll be flat when you clearcoat.
5b. Let it cure for an hour.
6)seal the paint(how long do i wait after last coat?)(how many caots?)(want to i even seal it with/good brand of sealent stuff)
7. Follow the Rule of threes.
7a. Spray the entire body with clear, Then spray it again 2 more times immediately after.
7b. Wait an hour. Wetsand with high grit (1000)
7c. Spray the entire thing again, 3X.
7d. Wait and hour. Wetsand with 1000 grit.
7e. Spray the entire thing again, 3X.
8. Repeat 7a to 7e for 2 more days.
9. A month later, buff to a shiny finish using the tutorial on the 1st page of the Sticky.

You can use Krylon or Duplicolor Acrylic paint in the spraycan for the primer/sealer, Colorcoat, and Clearcoat.

Good Luck!

just one more question

if i am using a unpainted body(project body type thing) i should still sand it...right?
Last edited by $teve-o_Kneav-o at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by $teve-o_Kneav-o
just one more question

if i am using a unpainted body(project body type thing) i should still sand it...right?

Definitely. First, rub it down with a damp (not wet) cloth, this will raise the grain. Then dry sand with high grit, say 800.

just a few wondering question....im not really into painting at this point...but how would you paint the neck? or would you? would you be able to paint over the fretboard and frets? the same as the body?
im better than normal....im abnormal!