I should have ordered a good one when buying my original gear but decided to go with a cheap On Stage Stands $20 mic pack instead.

I just ordered a metal pop filter and a Shure SM57 to use in the studio and can't wait to get it in to see how it compares to my other mic.

I'm sure it will be a nice improvement.
Congrats. Good luck, and happy mixing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

you'll notice a much cleaner signal with a higher threshold to sound pressure
congrats!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i don't think you'll notice a huge improvement at first, but it's always nice to know that one link in your signal chain can never go obsolete.
Just got the mic in today and boy what a difference....the pop filter is so much of a help as well as now I don't have to edit out all those P and T pops.

The SM57 does need quite a bit more gain from the preamp but I'm so happy with the sound it is producing. Now I need to look into some Vocal processors for some neat effect.
Quote by moody07747
The SM57 does need quite a bit more gain from the preamp but I'm so happy with the sound it is producing. Now I need to look into some Vocal processors for some neat effect.

is that because its a dynamic mic? what is your other mic?
That would be a dynamic mike too.

I would imagine that a cheap microphone has less padding and sound reduction, and probably a bigger directional area (let's face it, the 57 is like a lightsaber) and reflections because of the pop shield.

The SM57 also has a better frequency response and cuts out "bad" areas in the range of pitch. You'll hear less vocal sibilance too.

A cheap microphone isn't going to be designed with presicion in mind, so it'll not have these optimisations as such.