Hello,

I'm currently in the market for an all-tube amp head. I recently accquired a Kustom Quad 100 DFX 2x12" combo for $200. Now, before the bashing begins, it was loaded with two Celestion Seventy 80's, and came in a solidly built cab, so I saw the potential for use as a speaker cab, and forget how ****e the amp may or may not be. (For the reccord, the amps cleans are very solid, but the lead channel...feh. Nothing to write home about.) So now that I wired the Quad with an external jack and now have a cab, a nice enough OD, and a Metal Muff...I'm ready for something Tubey. But here's the requirements imposed by my financial and lifestyle situations:

-Must be available at Guitar Center. (I have some credit, and am pretty strapped)
-Must be Affordable. $500 new would be the absolute maximum price. This point is very important for a hungry college student.
-Must play nicely with my Metal Muff, OD's, and Synth Wah.
-Must be less than 100 watts, due to the power handling restrictions of the cab.

A few points on what I'm looking for:
Dynamic. I've always been depressed with most Solid State (and some tube) amps that don't seem to care what's plugged into them, or how it's being played.
Flexible. Solid, workable cleans are ideal, and a tight, dynamic breakup. I play whatever suits my fancy at any given moment, So covering a wide gain spectrum would be nice. I don't need a 5150's brutal Metal amazingness or a Princton's shimmering cleans, but I'd like to get in the ballpark of each. But mabye I'm just dreaming here.
Reasonable. On the volume side of things. I'm not going to demand a low wattage amp, and I do indeed realize that any tube amp needs to be craked to be appreciated, but I want something that will still feel tubey and girthy at practice volumes. Mabye I'm dreaming on this point, but if I knew what could do this for me, than I wouldn't be polling the most intelligent of UG's forums.

A couple things I've already considered:
-Orange Tiny Terror (But too much $, and can't use my GC credit)
-Peavey Windsor (Promising, but 100 Watts is...well, I dunno if I could do it justice)
-Epi Vale Junior (Tonefull, but low on gain and flexibility)
-Crate Palino (spelling?) V8 combo (nifty, and flexible if I can use it as a head, but kinda low on flexibility again)

Any and all suggestions are welcome, except "Save for a Dual Rec" or something. I'm poor, guys! I'm already scrimping and saving to have $500!

Thanks in advance!
Peavey Windsor doesn't really have a wide range of sounds IMO. It really has only two options, distortion, and more distortion.

Epiphone Valve Junior does have a very wide range of tones, and with pedals I bet it could do some heavier sounds. It does have more gain than you'll expect all by itself.

Crate Palamino- I didn't like it that much, but it gets a lot of love around here.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
line 6 is coming out with some all tube spider amps, and they're designed by Bogner
http://line6.com/spidervalve/
they aren't out yet, and i don't know the price, but they're worth checking out
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
You have effectively ruled out everything else, so I suggest checking out a Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 combo. Sounds like it fits your requierments well. Should be able to get one and a footswitch just under your budget if you haggle.
I wasn't meaning to rule out everything, just offering reasons why I hadn't already bought 'em. I'm completly open to haing my theories debunked!
classic 30 head? you should be able to haggle down
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ChaoticVengence
line 6 is coming out with some all tube spider amps, and they're designed by Bogner

They are out, I've tried one...

I was VERY IMPRESSED.
It's like, amazing.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by ChaoticVengence

Twin Twang

This Amp Model is based on* a number of vintage tweed amps. We evaluated a ’53 Fender® tweed Deluxe Reverb®, ’58 Fender® tweed Bassman® and a ’60 Gibson® Explorer® to create a swingin’ Rockabilly tone.

A '53 Deluxe Reverb? I wonder where Line 6 found that one?
Quote by guitarbite.fire
i second the classic 30 head

Good choice, so is the Palomino V32. They list the head for the same price as the combo, so I'd try to chew 'em down. You should be able to get 10% off everything in GC with minimal effort. I'd offer $400, and negotiate something like $450 after taxes.

You could look at the Epi So Cal 50 head, too, and do the same as above if you prefer it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
How would a modded Valve Juinior work? Can you get those crunchier with some work? I'm safe with soldering, but some help or a link towards working on amp innards would be helpfull...
I use a modded VJ, about the only amp I'd take over it now is a Plexi

You can really open up a lot of gain in there, I can get a very nice crunch from mine. Head on down to the GB&C forum and we can explan the mods in more detail
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Right, I bought a VJ and and researching mods like crazy. See you guys in GB&C, and thanks!

I bought mine so I could mod it, but ended up loving it stock!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
The Line 6 Spider Valves look VERY ionteresting. However, I don't see a 50-Watt head in their product line-up. Certainbly 100 Watts is too much. Like the thread-starter, I don't need a cabinet either—I plan to direct record with the head through a speaker-load simulator. But, I guess I could get the combo and try to mic the cabinet to record.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I've seen used Yamaha T50's sell at guitar center at about the $400 price point. Depending upon how you set the knobs, it will do just about anything from clean to high gain and sound pretty good all the while (though it will not excel at any particular setting).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
for budget solid states.. the kustoms quads/kgas aren't that bad. unfortunately i have no reccomendations on a 'budget' all tube head. its a shame you HAVE to buy at GC. maybe wait until some used heads come in? (does GC sell used gear?) or try to scour deals for ebay or your local papers.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Firstly, Celestion 70/80's are nothing to write home about, really.

Secondly, would you go used? How much GC credit do you have?

If you would go used, you have a few more options.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra