So I've had my electric for 3 months and I've been playing it faithfully. All I have is the guitar, a line 6 amp, some picks (thick and thin) and a capo (and an acoustic that I got at wal-mart that I never play). All my friends have pedals and wierd distortion boxes and what not. My dad tells me not to waste money on bells and wistles yet because then I'll use them as a crutch.

What do you guys think? Too early? If not, what should I start out with?
Nope. None at all.
When you need them.

I've been playing for 5 years. I only bought my first pedal recently, and only used it once. I've never polished my guitar. I don't have a capo. And I was perfectly fine without a stringwinder until I got one for my birthday

I don't need any of that.

If you do, get it. If not, don't. Simple.
I would stay to stay away from them for now. I've been playing for about 6 months and I still don't think I'm ready. My friend bought some effects when he'd only been playing for around 2-3 months and he hasn't really turned out that good. He only uses distortion (and way too many effects) and sounds horrible when he plays clean. Really, it's up to you, but I'd say no.
Hmmm.Depends on how advanced you are.Really,if you get some don't over use them.Your clean channel is your best friend. And plus,effects really don't make it any easier to play.Just make it sound neat.And as for that first reply,make sure you do polish your guitar and keep moisture off of it.It makes a difference in your guitars condition and playability alot.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your amp's a Spider... ?

That amp is already loaded with models and fx, you really don't need any pedals with it. You should play with everything is has on it, and figure out what you like/use the most. In the meantime, get better at guitar and save your money. Your next purchase should be a big one: a new amp. But you're still a ways off. For now, just have fun.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you play distortion and stuff,then yes
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
Well, you're still starting off so you can look at effects in a couple of ways. In one way, they're really good. A decent multi-fx can go a long way if you're still starting off, get you used to different sounds and whatnot, but you have an amp (not the best of amps, but whatever) with built in effects right?
On the other hand, your dad has a point about relying on effects for you to sound good. Like if you play with crazy amounts of reverb (if you don't know what reverb is, it's like a drawn out echo in a way) or distortion you don't hear your mistakes as well and you rely on the pedal to make you sound good.

It all depends on what you want to play. What style of music do you play?

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
You're dad is exactly right....besides, your amp is nothing BUT bells and whistles
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive been playin a year n a half only effect i have is a distortion pedal
it works for me ive had it awhile n havent needed anythin else but ill prolly b gettin new things after i gett my new amp
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Yeah, I agree that you definitely don't need any more effects. That amp has loads of effects, and amp models. I never have played owned any effects other than an overdrive and wah, and I've played for a while...7-8 years.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by slatsmania
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your amp's a Spider... ?

That amp is already loaded with models and fx, you really don't need any pedals with it. You should play with everything is has on it, and figure out what you like/use the most. In the meantime, get better at guitar and save your money. Your next purchase should be a big one: a new amp. But you're still a ways off. For now, just have fun.

damn slats, you always give good advice
EDIT: except for that one time when you recommended a fender for metal and shred
Quote by The Masterplan
damn slats, you always give good advice
EDIT: except for that one time when you recommended a fender for metal and shred

That guy wanted loud and cheap, and I gave him 100W at under $200! Can't have everything!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.