Epi PR5-E i think. the one with the Florentine-style cutaway. Not only does it look good, it sounds pretty good for the price. Ovation/Applause guitars only sound good if theyre plugged in and are hard to play sitting down for me and lots of other ppl as well. Ibanez has some good electro/acoustics as well.
Quote by qotsa1998
Epi PR5-E i think. the one with the Florentine-style cutaway. Not only does it look good, it sounds pretty good for the price. Ovation/Applause guitars only sound good if theyre plugged in and are hard to play sitting down for me and lots of other ppl as well. Ibanez has some good electro/acoustics as well.
Really not liking the shape lol, and my friends parents have Ovations and Ive played theirs and I didnt have any problems playing while sitting...

I'll take onboard that plugged in comment though
You want to get one with a solid top really, the one your looking at dosent have one, im not sure you can get a half decent solid top electro-acoustic for £200, maby £350.
There are 2 types of acoustic guitar players in this world. Those who like ovations and those that don't. If you like ovations then go for it. If you don't like ovations then don't go for it. If you don't know if you like ovations or not then try a few to see what you think. If try some and decide you don't like ovations then I'd suggest getting a good aftermarket pickup and a good acoustic separate. Most low end acoustics comprimise the quality of the pickup and the guitar but they charge you a lot more for it. Getting a good acoustic and a good aftermarket pickup will give you a much better setup than you would get buying an electroacoustic for the same price.
Not taking any online orders.
takamines. i bought one new for about $150
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by Greentreejester
You want to get one with a solid top really, the one your looking at dosent have one, im not sure you can get a half decent solid top electro-acoustic for £200, maby £350.
£200 is my absolute top end of my budget unfortunately Also, how do I know if its a solid top or not? I mean that Ovation says its a Spruce top which I assume is solid Spruce top...No? I dunno Im new to this lol

My parents will be buying this for me, so I dont want it to cost them too much. When I have my own job however, you better believe Im upgrading

And Dobby, wow that really does look nice, but Ive never heard of Freshman before, anyone heard of them?

And yeh I love Takamines, but they always seem to be pushing the top end of my budget (you Americans get everything cheap ) what does UG think of this?

Takamine EG-260C

Last edited by Satch_Boogie at Sep 30, 2007,
I think you should go for the freshman, its got a solid top, most (if not all) others in that price range dont.
Quote by Greentreejester
I think you should go for the freshman, its got a solid top, most (if not all) others in that price range dont.
I'll go down to Sheehans on Tuesday and check it out

Any advice on how to know whats solid top and whats not? I mean Ive never seen a website advertise their guitar with a laminate top, so it always says spruce or something...
if it says solid then its a solid top, If it says anything else, eg special or select or just "spruce" then it will be a laminate. It must specify solid. There are the odd few exceptions but that usually when looking in th 1k+ section where it doesnt say solid but is...
Oh, and whatever you do, dont find something fancy looking and by it straight off.
at your price you are pressed to get a decent acoustic electric, let alone something fancy, let your ears decide
Quote by johnos
if it says solid then its a solid top, If it says anything else, eg special or select or just "spruce" then it will be a laminate. It must specify solid. There are the odd few exceptions but that usually when looking in th 1k+ section where it doesnt say solid but is...
Oh, and whatever you do, dont find something fancy looking and by it straight off.
at your price you are pressed to get a decent acoustic electric, let alone something fancy, let your ears decide

Dont worry, Im not too fussed about looks. As long as its functional, value for money and not downright ugly, Im fine with it

And thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that special word now.
Quote by Satch_Boogie
£200 is my absolute top end of my budget unfortunately Also, how do I know if its a solid top or not?

It will say solid top if it's got a solid top. If it says "select spruce" or "spruce" or "tonewood" or anything that doesn't inclued the the word "solid" then it's probably not solid. Anything with a solid top will most likely sound better acoustic, but laminated tops do have their place in the world when you want to play plugged in and loud. If you get a solid top guitar you will push the top end of your budget.

edit: oh yeah... and the takamine EG-260C is an OK guitar, but the price is a bit high for a laminated top guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 30, 2007,