Page 1 of 2
Hello all.

Judging from what I see on TV and read about in Guitar World, the current trends are "indie" bands in England (Kaiser chiefs, Razorlight, the Fratellis, the Kooks etc.)
"emo" bands in America (can't think of examples. I'm not in america and don't know any emo bands, but judging by the ammount of emo abuse they seem popular)

And metal bands that they don't show on TV (children of bodom, arch enemy, trivium, lamb of god, mastodon, behemoth, etc.)

"indie" and "emo" are in quotes because I find those terms incorrect, but can't think of any better ones.

Anyway, are there any bands that don't follow these trends?

Any English bands who don't try to copy Oasis or Franz Ferdinand?
Any pop-punk bands which are actually pop-punk and don't sound like they're crying?
Any metal bands which don't scream? Or any which sound like 80's metal?

Excuse me if this is spam. I'm just looking for new music.
Well... Since I'm not in school anymore, I'm not really sure if emo is actually popular anymore. Most people don't seem to want to admit that they like it. I think indie is popular in America, too.. And for the most part, I'm not sure why.

I guess Reel Big Fish doesn't sound like they're crying.. The Mars Volta doesn't. Um.. Portugal. The Man doesn't.. The Fall of Troy doesn't.. Uhh..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Sonata Arctica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SGIzjgXzI
and they use a keytar so that's extra cool-points

Evile (reminds me of 80's thrash) http://www.myspace.com/evileuk
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Last edited by RageAgainst... at Sep 29, 2007,
Mustasch, great metal band... from sweden!

http://thepiratebay.org/search/mustasch/0/7/100

If you like it, buy it.

EDIT: Allthough, when i think of it, the vocals might seem a bit like screaming.
Well, harsh singing, at least.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Last edited by Grönis at Sep 29, 2007,
The Sword. Metal without being over the top vocal-wise, but still has some rly nice guitar work. Mastodon has some screaming parts, but its tasteful and not annoyingly brutal. Mars Volta has done some good stuff. New Bloc Party, like Hunting for Witches, isnt indie like they used to be, but still have a real English sound. Maximo Park is a good band from England. The Hives are going a little indie, but still have the energy of punk bands. The Vines are a crazy rock band, and dont sound like whiners.
I don't listen to the radio, and I don't like what's on TV.
They never play any rock there anyway

I dunno where else to get music.

Whenever I see a new band in Guitar World, I check out their MySpace or whatever, but they're almost all metal.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Reel Big Fish doesn't sound like they're crying..

That's cos they're 3rd wave ska

And you wont get many good british bands from after the early 90s.

Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest. . theydon't make 'em like they used to *sigh*
Quote by sashki

Any English bands who don't try to copy Oasis or Franz Ferdinand? I'm not a fan of the Kaiser Chiefs, but I wouldn't say they're anything like Franz Ferdinand or Oasis, nor would I call them indie.
Any pop-punk bands which are actually pop-punk and don't sound like they're crying? Green Day, The Offspring, Lucky Boys Confusion

I second whoever said Reel Big Fish

If you want to find out new bands, just download a *genre* compilation album. Or if you're against downloading, look at a compilation track list, and try to find the Myspaces of the bands listed and see what they're like. If you like them, buy their album.

EDIT:

Also, [Spunge] are an awesome band, as are Sonic Boom Six.

EDIT AGAIN:

And Less Than Jake.

And what about Smashmouth? They seem to vary in style loads, from I'm A Believer, to All Star, to their cover of Why Can't We Be Friends (which is an amazing song, I recommend you listen to it).
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last edited by JamieB at Sep 29, 2007,
I didn't know what category to put Kaiser Chiefs in. I guess they are rock.

These days "rock" is free to interpretation. Some imagine "rock" as sounding like The Fratellis. Others, like myself, would say it's AC/DC.

My favorite bands, for those too lazy to look, are:
AC/DC, Blink 182, Sum 41, The Darkness, Ozzy Osbourne, Queen, Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, The Who, Mark Knopfler, Bowling for Soup, Franz Ferdinand, Van Halen, Scorpions and others

mostly energetic, melodic stuff. Pink Floyd and Knopfler are the only "gentle" artists I like. Call me shallow if you must. I want something energetic.

Would that help for some music recommendations?
Last edited by sashki at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by sashki
I don't listen to the radio, and I don't like what's on TV.
They never play any rock there anyway

I dunno where else to get music.

Whenever I see a new band in Guitar World, I check out their MySpace or whatever, but they're almost all metal.

Sir, I agree with you. And that's why I avoid music made after 2000 like the plague, with a few exceptions. Portugal. The Man is probably the best band I've heard that I learned about from Guitar World. Usually, I wouldn't have given them the chance, but they were in an article with The Fall of Troy, and I wanted to hear them. Lets see..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_oiXciyAYJ4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3s0OnM8SXQk&mode=related&search=

That's not their best song.. Actually, that one is fairly boring. I can't find anything on youtube that has any good quality.

You might like The Good, The Bad, and The Queen.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Llw5L0LYrbs

And I know Reel Big Fish is third wave ska, but I consider third wave ska to be a part of the Pop Punk sound.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Well... Since I'm not in school anymore, I'm not really sure if emo is actually popular anymore. Most people don't seem to want to admit that they like it. I think indie is popular in America, too.. And for the most part, I'm not sure why.

I guess Reel Big Fish doesn't sound like they're crying.. The Mars Volta doesn't. Um.. Portugal. The Man doesn't.. The Fall of Troy doesn't.. Uhh..

Dude, you're in every single thread that I go into O.O

From what I know, emo is still pretty popular. I actually like the British indie scene. However I second the notion that everyone should hear The mars Volta.
Actually, all the local bands I've seen around here are obnoxiously indie. Get's so derivative. Ugh.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Dude, you're in every single thread that I go into O.O

From what I know, emo is still pretty popular. I actually like the British indie scene. However I second the notion that everyone should hear The Mars Volta.

Eh, I think everyone should hear the Mars Volta's first two records.. The third one, and the Tremulant EP, and the live album.. Completely not necessary. Actually, those kinda ruined the band for me.

Oh, and it's because I'm a crazy fast typer. And no social life to speak of anymore, aside from work.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by sashki

Out of new stuff? From the top of my head, Megadeth, Dream Theater and Down.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by sashki
Dream theater and megadeth have been around for decades...

I think what he means is, are you out of music that you've never heard of before. I have a question.. Does it have to be a newer band? I could recommend some bands you just might not have ever heard before, if that's acceptable.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by hairypineapple
Indie r4pes emo up the a$$
So indie's gay?
Quote by sashki
Dream theater and megadeth have been around for decades...

They've put out albums recently, and compared to other older bands, they're good albums.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think what he means is, are you out of music that you've never heard of before. I have a question.. Does it have to be a newer band? I could recommend some bands you just might not have ever heard before, if that's acceptable.

Older bands are fine, but really this thread is about why today's guitar-oriented bands are mainly of only 3 styles.
I don't know about metal or indie (don't really listen to either, except for System of a Down in the metal area) but in terms of pop-punk, there are a lot. To start with, check out the Descendents. They are one of my favorite pop-punk bands ever. Also, I second Green Day, although the newer stuff (AI) isn't quite so much pop-punk as it is pop-punk influenced rock. It's all good though in my opinion. Pinhead Gunpowder (Billie Joe Armstrongs other band) are pretty good. And of course, the original pop-punk band, The Ramones!

P.S- props to you for liking AC/DC.
Quote by sashki
Older bands are fine, but really this thread is about why today's guitar-oriented bands are mainly of only 3 styles.

If you think there are only 3 styles, you're quite narrow-minded, really. There's always some genres that will sell the best, and I dare say that even back in the 70s/80s you could say there were only 3 styles which included guitars.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
If you think there are only 3 styles, you're quite narrow-minded, really. There's always some genres that will sell the best, and I dare say that even back in the 70s/80s you could say there were only 3 styles which included guitars.

I did say mostly.

I dunno where to find the others. Judging by the "mass media", it seems to be just 3. Well, 4 with progressive, but that's still growing.
Quote by hairypineapple
ahah, no its a metaphor for its superiority
Gay people are so superior.

o.O
Quote by sashki
I did say mostly.

I dunno where to find the others. Judging by the "mass media", it seems to be just 3. Well, 4 with progressive, but that's still growing.

Never trust the mass media.

As to where you can discover new music... It's hard to tell. Are you registered at last.fm? If you check your favorite bands you can see the similar bands, and then listen to samples of their music (or google their myspace to hear some more). Pandora is also good - But no one can tell you where to disvcover new music. It's a journey, and often just downloading anything that's praised as quality and briefly listen to it will broaden your horizons. I download anything that's quite big, but not big enough to get lots of focus in the mass media - and then it's just pick and choose. However, it's hard to find new music if you're not sure what you're looking for.
I'm a communist. Really.
Good music is so easy to find. I've found hundreds and hundreds of talented bands and artists just by browsing around. Usually, I'll search around on Amazon for rock bands and other "popular music", and for classical, I see what's available on Classic Cat and refer to Wikipedia if it's music that'd I'd want to check out. Finding great music is sooooo not hard.

Takes a good deal of effort and time, though.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
There are loads, just turn off the radio. Ever heard of Porcupine Tree? Amazing British band.

+10000000

One of the best bands to come from this side of the pond EVER.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
"Any English bands who don't try to copy Oasis or Franz Ferdinand?
Any metal bands which don't scream? Or any which sound like 80's metal?"

Evile. Evile. Evile. Awesome new thrash band from england, sound old school but fresh, check em out. And the indie thing is about to fall apart, when pete doherty dies, the whole scene will die around it. But I hope thrash doesn't become so popular that scene kids will adopt haggard jeans, long messy hair and exodus shirts - then I'm in the ****
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by sashki

Well, that's easily answered. Firstly, the invention of the internet made trading music really simple. Everything has been homogenized because now we can trade our cultures so easily. It's just as easy for a kid who might only hear about music from other fans in his town, or from magazines, etc, to find music as it would be for someone who has plenty of introductions to music in HIS town. And it seems a lot of these people are trading the same music.

Then take into consideration the downloading aspect. When everyone started downloading their music instead of buying it, the record companies were losing a lot of money. So, they looked at statistics. What ages were people downloading? I think it was something like.. 15-30. So, what are they going to want to do? Appeal to people that are older or younger than that age bracket, because they're going to buy the music instead of downloading it. When that happens, you have tons of catchy music, music that is simplified, partially because any teenager can pick up on it easily, and not necessarily have to think too much about it.

Anyhoo.. If you're interested in older bands, too, just go through my "Favorite Bands" list.. it's all good.

Also, I too have found it pretty easy to find good music. Some methods are going to a local record store and asking the owner, depending on their taste, to recommend you a record. You could also look at the history of your favorite band and find out who their influences are, and then their influences influences. Or you could pick them at random. I've done all of these things and it's yielded plenty of good results. OR you could take suggestions from these forums.. I've been burned a couple of times. I didn't like Porcupine Tree when I picked them up.. But I did like Opeth.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by sashki
Hello all.

Judging from what I see on TV and read about in Guitar World, the current trends are "indie" bands in England (Kaiser chiefs, Razorlight, the Fratellis, the Kooks etc.)
"emo" bands in America (can't think of examples. I'm not in america and don't know any emo bands, but judging by the ammount of emo abuse they seem popular)

And metal bands that they don't show on TV (children of bodom, arch enemy, trivium, lamb of god, mastodon, behemoth, etc.)

"indie" and "emo" are in quotes because I find those terms incorrect, but can't think of any better ones.

Anyway, are there any bands that don't follow these trends?

Any English bands who don't try to copy Oasis or Franz Ferdinand?
Any pop-punk bands which are actually pop-punk and don't sound like they're crying?

Pop punk, go for Billy Talent
Paramore is pop punk and they have an amazing singer who doesn't sound winy....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Theres a lot of stuff outside of the mainstream trends, but by its very definition you have to look for it. There will always be trends in rock music you can't just moan about them constantly when they come, its just how it goes.
Last.fm, the genre forums of this site, Pandora radio, myspace, local gigs, and support acts at gigs or festivals are all good ways to find new bands.

Try looking up the record labels of certain musicians you like and going through the bands on the label's site as well.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by JilaX^
Pop punk, go for Billy Talent

They're not really pop-punk. More alt-rock/hardcore. Besides, they are whiney.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
They're not really pop-punk. More alt-rock/hardcore. Besides, they are whiney.

They don't sound whiney.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

Quote by xFeatherx
They don't sound whiney.

No.. Yes they do.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by xFeatherx
They don't sound whiney.

I like them, but the singer's voice is seriously whiney.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Page 1 of 2