Hey all,
I generally record at 16 or 24 bit, 192bps, and 44000 Hz, which is considered fairly regular I think. My files, however always come out to be like... 8-10 Mb's in size, and I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the file size and keep the original track qualitiy more or less. I'm in .mp3 format, by the way.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Working at industry standard, a 128bps MP3 will be roughly 1MB per minute.

You can't really keep the high quality without coding at 256bps, which roughly doubles the filesize from 128.

You could play faster though!

That said, a 26mb wav file in 24 / 44.1 converted into a 256 MP3 will be about 5.6kb which ain;t so bad.
another option is using variable bitrates with mp3, using the lame encoder (its produces a better version of mp3s with better quality for less size)

this way you can get good quality files with small file sizes and still be able to easily play them back on a wide range of computers, dvd players, mp3 players etc.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by HeliuM
Try .ogg format, it's a bit smaller than mp3.

Unfortunately, uploading an Mp3 to a website like myspace is like playing a betamax tape in a vhs player.
Yeah, I've been using Audacity to convert it with the lame plugin. But it still seems like my file sizes are pretty big. Maybe I'm going at a higher quality then I think I am. My last recording was 3:39 long, and a little over 10 megs.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Hm.. so I realized audacity was setting it at a sample format of 32, so I changed it to 16, but it still gives me the same file size.

Edit: Oh, and winamp says both files have a kbps of 320. I'm confused.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

maybe try using another converter like dbpoweramp (which also uses lame)

from memory i dont think audacity offers variable compression

i think the sample rate is only for when your working with it, not for exporting as an mp3
go to: edit > preferences > File formats then you can choose the bitrate there
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

If you are just making MP3's for web use (MySpace etc), the 128 bps is pretty much the standard. A 4 minute song comes in around 3.75 to 4 megs total. When I do a mix, I save off the MP3's for MySpace and WAV format files for burning CD's and listening to here.

Tony
So I figured it out. I'd been changing the bit rate (16, 24, or 32) but you can also change the kbps, and it was set to default at 320 in audacity. I've put it down to 192 now, and it's functioning fine, reducing the file size to 4.something megs. Should have seen that earlier. Thanks folks.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Buy a bigger hard drive.

They're hella cheap. 200GB ~ $120.

Don't worry about file size. Ever. Start with an ungodly huge amount of memory, worry about more important issues - like writing kick ass music!!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Ahah, I said I fixed it! The songs still sound great quality wise. They're the same as studio quality...
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B