Hi there! I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping your expertise can help me out!

I've got an Epiphone Special II with a cracked neck which I'm looking to replace. I've always loved the Telecaster necks, and I was wondering, is it possible to put a 25.5" scaled neck on the body of a guitar that normally should have a 24.75" scale neck?

I've seen the tele necks from Warmoth that are 24.75, but buying one from there would cost more than the actual guitar
no. if you do the intonation will be all sorts of ****ed and you'll never play in tune again. also i thought that epiphones had set necks, aka they are glued in. if it does have a set neck then you can forget about replacing it, it wouldnt be worth the money.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
I don't think so. It's hard to explain but your intonation would be all wrong unless you did some serious modification to the guitars neck joint. Also does your epiphone have a glued neck (set neck) or bolt on? If it is set i don't know if you can change it at all.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Special II's have bolt-ons i think. But even so, its not possible. You could get a neck with the same radius as a Tele neck, but not the same scale.
the epi special are bolt on you can probably pick up a new special neck off of ebay for about 20 bucks.
Last edited by Dark Aegis at Sep 29, 2007,
I think its doable. You'd have to fix the intonation but thats not a big deal. It wouldnt sound quite the same because the pickups are set at certain points on the scale, but it would still work. The biggest problem i can think of is the neck pocket could very well be a different size, and a tele neck traditionally has a square heel where the neck contacts the body, and the epi may be a rounded shape.
It is a bolt on. From the looks of things, I don't think there would be a problem getting the neck to fit in - they both seem to have the same shape. But it looks like the general consensus is that it isn't possible, which saves me a few bucks in trial and error

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
Another quick but related question, my broken neck has a 24.75 inch scale/22 frets, could a 24.75 inch scale/23 fret replace it?

EDIT: Also note that my broken neck has the overhanging fretboard, whereas the one I'm looking at doesn't, which kind of threw me for a loop
- Kevin

Epiphone Special II
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by Kevunism at Sep 30, 2007,
You can disregard the previous post, I just said what the hell and bought a Michael Kelly Deuce Phoenix
- Kevin

Epiphone Special II
Fender FM 212R
Quote by OneRust
I think its doable. You'd have to fix the intonation but thats not a big deal. It wouldnt sound quite the same because the pickups are set at certain points on the scale, but it would still work. The biggest problem i can think of is the neck pocket could very well be a different size, and a tele neck traditionally has a square heel where the neck contacts the body, and the epi may be a rounded shape.

OMG Do you even know what scale length is? I want to know how you would fix the intonation problem that according to you is "not a big deal".
Quote by Kill Rockstar
OMG Do you even know what scale length is? I want to know how you would fix the intonation problem that according to you is "not a big deal".

yeah your right....to fix it you would have to move the bridge, which isn't that bigger deal but in terms of looks you will have holes from where it was to deal with as well as the tonal and feel changes
You would have to do some mods to the neck pocket/neck heel.

Also find out the actual length of the neck and then subtract it from the total scale length. Thats approximately how far it needs to be from the bridge to get proper intonation.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350