Alright, so...I join this band in June thinking it might be something good since it's exactly what i've been wanting to play and am pretty good at playing...

Five months later, and we just had our first gig...and we only played three songs...three times each

I learned the "playlist we are going to learn" in under a week...completely and pretty much to the best of my ability. And i perfected them as the months progressed.

Turns out, the bassist never practices and doesn't have an amp; rhythm guitarist doesn't practice/learn any song but the ones he wants to; the drummer hasn't repaired his drums from a laminate problem, and only practices a once a week! singer is not so bad, since he sings everyday in school...only problem is he's insanely lazy.
Also, all they ever want to do is RECORD, RECORD, RECORD!! And am i right when i say "get the songs right, then before you record, get them better than what they were"?

And also, we had 3 months without practicing as a group! And we've only ever had 9 practices!....IN 5 MONTHS!

Now, are they just lazy, or is this band not serious?

I've been thinking a lot lately about it, and i believe i may just start recording solo stuff, but i'll probably get ridiculed for ditching the band...since if i leave, they're pretty much screwed. I believe that the guys in the band really only care about LOOKING GOOD instead of SOUNDING GOOD...I think we should do both personally...

So, in your own honest opinion...what do you think i should do? Leave the band, deal with it, i'm open to anything...because i'm tired of being musically hindered.
I'll end up doing whatever my instinct tells me to do...but i'd just like some input from people.
ditch them. they suck, you dont, and they dont care. find people who do.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
i've said this to others before: if you think they're holding you back, then give them a kick up the ass by asking what they want to achieve, and compare it to what you want to achieve. If they're holding you back, ditch 'em.

*Witty comment*
In a way, I had the same problem. There wasn't much of a band...just me and a drummer, but we found two other guys (a guitarist and bassist). Some things came up between me and the drummer, so now there is no band.

Honestly though, I think you should tell them to get off their asses and do something. If they won't, then leave because I'm sure you could probably do better than them.
They're both lazy and not serious.. from what you say about them thats the picture I get anyway. get a new band. dont sound like its gonna go anywhere and you'll just be wasting your time. I say take the singer with you since you say he's decent and get some other guys and gals to jam with. hope it works out for ya!
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
man i dont know why you didnt ditch them sooner - sounds like theyre dead weight to slow you down. Good luck with your solo stuff man
if they don't change, ditch them. get a better group together, because they don't seem worth it.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Alright thanks, that's all exactly what i've been debating on whether or not to do...

I'm just hoping that they don't hate me after i tell them "i don't think this band is going anywhere"...and they'll probably say i suck at guitar, which i admit i do (i can't solo the best, and my sweep picking needs to be cleaner)...but i'm a hell of a lot better than our rhythm guitarist.

***Oh, and i forgot to mention...the bassist left the band a few weeks ago. So we played a gig with no bass, and we have no backup....I'm really starting to realize how much this band sucks compared to what I could be do if I found another...
Last edited by dudey5691 at Sep 29, 2007,
I've been in this situation a lot. If you're the only really serious/strong member of the band, and you're constantly pushing the other members, it's never going to really come together. Everyone's got to want it at least a little. It does sound like the others aren't really that worried about playing well, and demonstrating well as a band. If I were you, I'd work on solo stuff until you can find some new band members.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
There are hundreds of musicians out there just as dedicated as you are who you can jam with. Its not like theres really anything on the line here by leaving your current band. Actually, if you think about it, the only thing on the line in your position now is losing more credibility staying with these guys.
Ah sounds like one of my old band.
We practiced about 2 times a month, our bassist didnt show up half the time and our drummer, well he sucked but I wanted to be in a band more then anything.
Then another band was looking for a guitarist so I had to leave them.
Even tho they we're my close friends I knew that my current band would be worth it.
Im so glad I left them.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
kill them, all, quickly, then replace them. lol. but really, ask them how serious they really are, if not, then either kick them out or join a different band.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
good job, i hope your newer one is better then the old one.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")