I am really struggling, i dont know why, im trying and trying and trying and i just cant seem to do it...

Im trying to learn to play, im trying to learn wonderwall by oasis and i just cant do it... i need a slow paced song.. i just cant seem to string it together... the chords arnt an issue its putting the damn things together...

Did or does anyone else struggle like i am?

Does anyone know a slower paced song, a good song, that i can try...

cheers,

James.
this will sound cliché, but Stairway to Heaven(intro) is quite simple and slow paced...though there arent chords...
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
simple man by lynyrd skynyrd. it has a good melody and simple chords, just start with really easy sojgs and work your way up amnd youll get there in no time
empty the bullets from the chamber
Nice one.. ill give these a try... is the stairway to heaven led zeplin?

I dont use a capo or metronome as i dont have either of these, can you reccoment me a good one?

cheers,

James.
Knockin on Heaven's door by Bob Dylan. VERY easy.

And just practice, transitions between chords comes with time.

Don't give up, and don't for god's sake whine about it. Keep positive. Eventually you get better, it just takes time.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Oh right nice! i didnt know id need a capo to play it better... to be honest i didnt think there were any point getting a capo but now i know there is..

cheers,

James.
There are lots of song you can learn on. Do the easy ones first and add a note or two as you go along and soon you will be able to play your song. Be patient with yourself. It doesn't matter if it takes you 20 years to get where you want. You are playing for your own gratification and no one elses.
Quote by Devaney18

dont use a capo or metronome as i dont have either of these, can you reccoment me a good one?

cheers,

James.

I recommend a Keyser or Shubb capo. For a free metronome, check out www.metronomeonline.com

A capo simply allows you to change the key and pitch of a guitar sound without having to adjust the strings with the tuning knobs. It won't make playing Wonderwall easier.
Try wish you were here - Pink Floyd. Sounds good slow, really simple aswell. Yeah just try and play it slow and smooth and gradually build the speed up BUT keeping it smooth.
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Peavey ValveKing 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2

I live in your eyes.
When I first got started playing I just started learning like the easier songs imaginable to kinda get some confidence. (i.e. 12 bar blues. Horse With No Name by America). The first sorta challenging song I learned was Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Thats a cool song and it isnt that difficult. But the key for me learning to play was playing songs that I liked and cared about learning. I learned to play piano and trumpet through lessons and learnign songs that I didnt give a crap about. Just keep playin, it'll come.
The capo is on the 2nd fret on wonderwall for all oasis concerts and for the album. although sometimes noel plays it on the 3rd when its just him.

defently get a capo, if you like oasis. i use mine all the time
Don't let yourself get so flustered with it. You never mentioned how long you've been practicing, but guitar playing is a long journey, and it takes years just to get moderately good at playing. Just be paitent and keep practicing, before you know it you'll look back and laugh at the fact you had trouble playing this, while you're doing far more advanced stuff

The skill will come with time, just stick with it
Practice, practice, practice.....
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I'd say that first try to play some combinations of different chords and make sure you're doing it slow and smooth.. when it gets better try to do it a bit faster each time...
also if you have a problem with strumming try to make some different patterns and strum them till it gets kind of automatic.
I never had a teacher so my progresse was really slow and I know it's very frustrating at first, but it gets better with the time.
your fingers learn to remember, so after some practicing this whole thing will come automatically.
same about the strumming.. you learn to find the right tempo.
About "wonderwall"- the capo won't make it easier, because it's pretty much the same with or without it... but it will sound better probably. If you're having problem with this song maybe you should try play it slower and with some other easier strumming pattern at first.

hope it helps somehow
dude, starting out is probably the hardest part, if you've just gotten started, I really recommend starting out with just learning to read simple sheet music, and actually read it, dont tab it out or memorize it play it because you read it not because your can. Learn to keep a beat by doing this. Then I would start to learn your basic chords. A & Am, C, D & D7, E, Em,F, and of course G. Learn those chords well and practice them for like 30 minutes every day, make up little chord progressions of your own like C, E, Am, F, G then C again. Soon enough you should be able to smoothly move from chord to chord, then you will be good at transitioning, maybe then start trying to learn a few songs, just start small, one of the first songs I tried to learn was so easy it kinda makes me want to laugh, which was jimmy eat world - get it faster check that thing out if your looking for an easy song. *im not sure how good you really are so then if you have passed this stage good for you if not then give this a try maybe, it worked for me. hehe =D good luck!
My Gear:
Ibanez Gax 70 Gio electric guitar cherry red color
Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic guitar sunburst color
Crate MX10, 10 watt amplifier
Boss DS-1 Distortion effects pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
Allergic
C4C please
Id probobaly recommend trying to play boulevard of broken dreams by green day you dont have to play it that fast. The songs pretty much based around Em, G, C, Dsus2 and Asus2 and they're really easy.
I hope it helps.
practice switching between chords A, G, D, and C. Once you can do it pretty good try the song again.

How long have you been playing?

This may help us understand why the song is hard for you.

_B_
"TONE ADDICT"
get a metronome and start slow. When you can play is flawlessly increase the speed.
Quote by matx33
Knockin on Heaven's door by Bob Dylan. VERY easy.

And just practice, transitions between chords comes with time.

Don't give up, and don't for god's sake whine about it. Keep positive. Eventually you get better, it just takes time.

+1

Knocking On Heavens Door is a great beginners song.

G - D - Am7 - G - D - C

Just repeat that over and over.
Wonderwall is played with the capo on the second fret. And it's pretty easy you don't move your pinkie or ring finger at all the whole song. Just the middle and index. To the og poster it would be pretty easy to practice the song slowly, and listen to the song when playing too so you can hear as you play.
Matt M vocals/rhythm guitar
Scarlett Mojo
www.myspace.com/scarlettmojo

09 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
98 Gibson Les Paul Studio
01 Taylor 310ce
DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!
practice each chord by playing every string first like an arpeggio then the strings that dont sound right or are muted concentrate on those, get every chord perfect by strumming through them all
then link them up until you can do it as second nature then more forth!!!
Quote by rock roll boy 7
dude, starting out is probably the hardest part, if you've just gotten started, I really recommend starting out with just learning to read simple sheet music, and actually read it, dont tab it out or memorize it play it because you read it not because your can. Learn to keep a beat by doing this. Then I would start to learn your basic chords. A & Am, C, D & D7, E, Em,F, and of course G. Learn those chords well and practice them for like 30 minutes every day, make up little chord progressions of your own like C, E, Am, F, G then C again. Soon enough you should be able to smoothly move from chord to chord, then you will be good at transitioning, maybe then start trying to learn a few songs, just start small, one of the first songs I tried to learn was so easy it kinda makes me want to laugh, which was jimmy eat world - get it faster check that thing out if your looking for an easy song. *im not sure how good you really are so then if you have passed this stage good for you if not then give this a try maybe, it worked for me. hehe =D good luck!

^
What he said! That was all really awesome advice. I took a look at the song you are trying to play. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as absolute beginner, but then again, it all depends on how badly you want to play this song. Most of us have a song we love that we are determined to play when we start out. If we're lucky, it's an easy one. In your case, I can see why it might be a little challenging.

If that song is busting your chops, though - by all means, make it your goal, but don't make it the thing that makes you abandon your guitar. There's always tomorrow. Find some easy songs with just a few chords. Snow Patrol has a few of the easiest out there, for instance. Try 'Chasing Cars' or 'Chocolate' - they're boring as all hell to play, but you get a lesson in switching chords and strumming patterns and learning to sing while you play.

Like rock roll boy said...learn the fingerings of each chord and then go through and play each one until you can do it effortlessly. When you can play it effortlessly, then start switching back & forth between them. Believe me, eventually you will be able to do it without even thinking about where your fingers need to go. They will just GO there. After you've nearly killed yourself practicing, put the guitar down for a few days, there's some kind of magic that happens during that break, but I find when I pick up my guitar again, my next practice session is always better than the last. What you couldn't do the last session, you will be able to do the next.

It is HARD at first...this is coming from someone who started & quit guitar for over 10 years before I finally sat down and said, "This time I'm going to do it!" - You've got to build callouses, too, which you can do through practice. When you get too desperate and think you can't do it, remember all those crocked-out-of-their-minds musicians with two brain cells who can play guitar like Gods. If they can do it, so can you!
the verse and chorus of 'Doesn't Remind Me' by Audioslave is only three chords total, and some of the changes have an open strum between them. First song I learned to play chords with.
Look at some Greenday stuff (particularly Basketcase, or maybe Holiday). They're quite easy songs to learn at first, and they're what I started with.
OK I am in the same boat as you, been playing for 3 weeks and it is a struggle, but I am getting better. I tried MANY songs people say to play. Stairway to heaven is NOT as easy and I can't even do it yet. I stick to 3-4 chord songs. Here are the ones I make progress on and I would suggest you try these ones since they were easy for me.

Radiohead: Karma Police
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/radiohead/karma_police_crd.htm

Soul Asylum: Runaway Train
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/soul_asylum/runaway_train_tab.htm

Greenday: Blvd of Broken Dreams
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/green_day/boulevard_of_broken_dreams_acoustic_crd.htm

These are 3 I can play some of (no not all) but they are fun and sound like them. I played a bit of wonderwall with a capo and it is doable with practice.

Don't get frustrated, play stuff you are good at if you get down. We can even compare if you want a buddy to learn with, and joke about how we suck.
Quote by FenderChick77

After you've nearly killed yourself practicing, put the guitar down for a few days, there's some kind of magic that happens during that break, but I find when I pick up my guitar again, my next practice session is always better than the last. What you couldn't do the last session, you will be able to do the next.

+1, she is so right. That works every time for me. So even if you take their advice and nothing changes, walk away and let the magic happen, and when you pick it back up, you will do better.