Hey Guys, this time i'll get into my point right away.

I have a strat. Standard, with vintage spec handwound pickups from UK, CTS 500k pots, and wiring re-done by me. my amp is a fender blues jr with weber 12F150 speaker, and a marshall DSL401.

i've been having problem with it not giving me the treble response i want. it's way too warm sounding, and i don't know what to do. I want more pick attack, and the high end chime.

so what are some stuff that kills strat treble response? im not sure when this started, but i had a fender hot noiseless pickup set before, that didn't lose treble, i switched my tubes to tungsol 12ax7s, that cleared it up, then i got new pickups from CorduroyEW. Im not sure what's causing my treble loss. is it my ear? do i have too much ear wax or sumtin??? well... i cleaned it out 3 days ago...

my amp is on hard wood floor, my marshall behind it, i play by sitting in front of it on a small stool.

any suggestion, questions, comments are welcome. Thanks.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
wrongly wired tone pot? wrong value capacitor? very long cable run?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
So your saying the loss of treble occured when you got new pickups? I'd say it's the pickups then.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
hm. i only use two lugs on a tone pot right? i have 500k tone pot. hot signal from the pickup selector goes to the middle lug, and then to lug 1, which has my .022uF cap connected to ground from it.

i'll try my cable. i have two 18ft cables, and 5 true-bypass pedals. i'll try one 6ft cable by itself.

^the first moment i got the pickups it was really good. nice and chimey. it was like a week later i started noticing treble loss. CorduroyEW advised me to put my amp on hardwood floor, which helped for the moment. then its losing treble again.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hmmm...i thought it was hot to left lug with the cap from middle lug to ground on the back (according to my dimarzio diagram anyway...) but you can do it either way, but the hot in should should not be put to the hot out directly. there has to be a resistance between hot in and the grounded cap and the hot out for the tone pot to function properly

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Ippon
Try the 1M tone pot? Just throwing it there ... supposedly makes it more wide open for all the highs.

seems like a bit of a temporary fix to me...the treble has been fading slowly with time, so i'd say it was either the pickups or the tone pot...possibly a problem with the capacitor

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I can't follow your guitar gear time line too well, but go through and think about the changes you've made, and how the guitar sounded after that. Chances are you'll remember the last change you made and be able to undo it.

Also, it sounds like you're getting really obsessed with every component of your system. Every little thing is named down to the model. I don't mean to insult, but maybe just play and stop worrying about every little gear detail?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i have this on my guitar.
http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUSSS5L1101
master tone mod, with an open tone control.

what i've done were:
march '07: bought Blues Jr., Fender hot noiseless pickups were there, with 1M tone, 500k volume pots
june '07: bought new speakers (weber 12F150)
also june '07: wired the master tone mod, tone pots reduced to 500k, sprague orange drop .022uF cap used.
junly '07: added a variable treble bleed control (just replaced resistor for the kinman mod with a 250k pot)
august '07: switched tubes, bought pickups from UK, works great
september '07: started experiencing problems.

possible candidates are:
cap (i've gone through 3 .022uF orange drops before)
pots (i had them for 6 months)
speakers (i had them for 3 months)
pickups (had them for a month)

i tried my DSL401, and they seemed warm with no high end chime too. i've yet to try it with another guitar.

EDIT: OH! I GOT THIS POWER SURGE THING RECENTLY!!! do they alter the input current? i guess if they had to keep the voltage, the input current would cut down by a lot if i use three of the lugs, two amps and power supply... a chance?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by Revalk
Also, it sounds like you're getting really obsessed with every component of your system. Every little thing is named down to the model. I don't mean to insult, but maybe just play and stop worrying about every little gear detail?

well, i did tons of research before i got these things, and it's kinda stuck in my head... and i thought people would click a bit more if i had the model names too.

but yes, i'm a gear freak. and a tone freak.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i dunno. but i might have found the problem. my amp is getting a lot less current than before.

and i think that's why guitar center amps sound much better than regular home amps. (regular meaning no power conditioner or anything.)

and and a big Thanks from a tone freak (tone nazis member?)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard