Page 1 of 4
Now I know it may be blasphemous to insult metal around here, but I used to be a metal head, a real purist but as tends to happen with me, I go off styles. I still enjoy heavy music don't get me wrong but I've been flicking through my collection recently and some of my old favourites are almost unbearable not because Im scared of the "heavyness" or some such but just by the pure cheese factor.
Intentional or not, there's a lot of cheesy cliché ****e still poored out day after day by extreme metal bands. Satanism? Corpse Paint? Grotesque lyrical content? It just makes me cringe in shame that I once called myself a metalhead. Now I know there are always exceptions to the rule and I know metal is primarily about the music taking centre stage as opposed to the vocals, but is it not high time metal renewed its image?
You just listen to the wrong bands.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
You really don't have a godamn clue about metal of any kind at all do you? Go back to listening to labelling yourself as something else please.

Or read the following book: Running With the Devil by Robert Walser.

Should set one or two of your stupid misconceptions right.

/rant
actually, metal has always been kinda chhesy. the point of it is that your supposed to look passed the image of the band and see the REAL meaning of the music. like love SlipknoT, and most people dont because of their mask's, but if you look PAST that image, then you see what they're saying.and yes some bands suck as Dimmu Borgir are primarily Satanism,but still. look past all of it and read the lyrics and think about it.
Quote by Grimme
Now I know it may be blasphemous to insult metal around here, but I used to be a metal head, a real purist but as tends to happen with me, I go off styles. I still enjoy heavy music don't get me wrong but I've been flicking through my collection recently and some of my old favourites are almost unbearable not because Im scared of the "heavyness" or some such but just by the pure cheese factor.
Intentional or not, there's a lot of cheesy cliché ****e still poored out day after day by extreme metal bands. Satanism? Corpse Paint? Grotesque lyrical content? It just makes me cringe in shame that I once called myself a metalhead. Now I know there are always exceptions to the rule and I know metal is primarily about the music taking centre stage as opposed to the vocals, but is it not high time metal renewed its image?

justs top listening to black metal, and get into thrash or death metal
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Black metal is the most homosexual, cheesy and annoying form of music imaginable. Apart from pop.
Because your listening to power metal.

The Cheesier the better.

EDIT: Black Metal Rules

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by sniper_wolf90
actually, metal has always been kinda chhesy. the point of it is that your supposed to look passed the image of the band and see the REAL meaning of the music. like love SlipknoT, and most people dont because of their mask's, but if you look PAST that image, then you see what they're saying.and yes some bands suck as Dimmu Borgir are primarily Satanism,but still. look past all of it and read the lyrics and think about it.

Dimmu are about as much Satanists as I am. not at all in other words. Metal isn't cheesy unless you are embarrassed about it in the first place. Lots of you seem to be unable to listen to a genre that uses so much symbolism without thinking about what it, and through it, yourselves look like to others.
u need to find some new bands. Mastodon maybe? The Sword?

but yea, lots of metal cliches are around more than ever. IMO, something like GWAR is soo totally over the top with cliches and misconceptions of metal that are true for them. Ppl who have no clue about metal think that metal is scary, satanistic music. GWAR shows ppl that the scary metal image is true for all bands. which is bad, cuz most metal players look like half-normal ppl with rly long hair. Not costumed weirdos.
Because cheese is kvlt, so.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Metal isn't supposed to be serious business
Much like the internet

I mean you can be technical and musically excellent, but if you're having no fun, whats the point in it? I personally love metal sterotyping, it's fun

Unless its this scene kid bt00talz bollocks like BMTH and waking the cadaver etc etc
TC fails, you can't say every metal band ever is cheesy. And **** that bitch you insulted Black Metal.
yeah.
everyone.
he's saying.

satanism, and killing people all the time get's old and cliche.
and they try to find new ways to talk about it, but it's just so "cheesy"

the cheese rate is the same at the walmart deli as it is in the heavy metal section of fye.
You really don't have a godamn clue about metal of any kind at all do you? Go back to listening to labelling yourself as something else please.

Or read the following book: Running With the Devil by Robert Walser.

Should set one or two of your stupid misconceptions right.

/rant

I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

I'm talking about the sort of extreme metal scene really as opposed to the rest of it, even then I just think it could do with a bit more depth.
Like Opeth are quite nice, I suppose my tastes just changed and I wanted more apparent depth from my music, you know a bit of diversity in the old metal seen.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

I'm talking about the sort of extreme metal scene really as opposed to the rest of it, even then I just think it could do with a bit more depth.
Like Opeth are quite nice, I suppose my tastes just changed and I wanted more apparent depth from my music, you know a bit of diversity in the old metal seen.

I hope that's a joke about the bands you've seen. I really do.

And please do name 5 'extreme' metal bands you actually listen to. I am honestly interested to know what you consider extreme. As you think Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine are metal at all.

And it is 'Scene'.
I hope that's a joke about the bands you've seen. I really do.

And please do name 5 'extreme' metal bands you actually listen to. I am honestly interested to know what you consider extreme. As you think Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine are metal at all.

And it is 'Scene'.

Yeh A7X man, BFMV, ATREYU, ****ing Trivium and 36 Crazyfists.
That XTREEM enough for you?
Quote by Grimme

A7X and Bullet???? your joking right??? no wonder why you think metal is chees. anways my point was that look past the image. and i dont know much about Dimmu, i've only heard 2 of their songs and the one said Hail Satan, and i only know what i've heard of them....i've heard that Mayhem had a huge influence on them. so there lol
Quote by sniper_wolf90
A7X and Bullet???? your joking right??? no wonder why you think metal is chees. anways my point was that look past the image. and i dont know much about Dimmu, i've only heard 2 of their songs and the one said Hail Satan, and i only know what i've heard of them....i've heard that Mayhem had a huge influence on them. so there lol

Mayhem where not Satanists either. Pagans. Learn a little please? And Hail Satan is poserish nonsense.

Listen to some Gorgoroth or Deicide to hear someone who means it a little more.
Quote by madmk
Black metal is the most homosexual, cheesy and annoying form of music imaginable. Apart from pop.

GTFO!!!!

and...
You musta listened to some dumb stuff because i listen to alot and the lyrics don't sound as you decscribed... alot of grindcore like cattle decapition and stuff have violent lyrics like "diahrea (can't spell) of the mouth" but they comepletely suck so whatever. what did you used to lsiten to?
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Nah I was just trying to bait a bit of elitism and genre nerdery.
Back in the day I was into Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Satyricon, At The Gates and I was also very keen on In Flames and Opeth but I'm not sure if they're extreme enough to be put in the old list.
Quote by Grimme
Nah I was just trying to bait a bit of elitism and genre nerdery.
Back in the day I was into Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Satyricon, At The Gates and I was also very keen on In Flames and Opeth but I'm not sure if they're extreme enough to be put in the old list.

But, their not violent at all... I mean why are you ashamed to used to be into good music?
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"

My Gear:
Still none of that is very extreme. Good bands, but nothing that brutal. CoB and Arch Enemy have gotten so bad over the last few years too.

Try some Behemoth or maybe Vader. That's what I have on the Cd playing this week.
Quote by Eladamri
Still none of that is very extreme. Good bands, but nothing that brutal. CoB and Arch Enemy have gotten so bad over the last few years too.

Try some Behemoth or maybe Vader. That's what I have on the Cd playing this week.

Behemoth is brutal... CoB like you said is good but not Brutal or violent or anything

My Gear:
Quote by Honkers
But, their not violent at all... I mean why are you ashamed to used to be into good music?

Ah you see there the bands I still like, I used to like everything that was bestowed metal but that now is just a bit cringeworthy to me.
ok, my Aunt is a Pagen. she is also a Wicken. so please do not tell me to learn more about somthing i know much about. Pagans do not murder each other, commit suicide in a somone's basemnet leaveing a note saying 'sorry for the mess' and other things. my Aunt is 46 yrs ld and she has been a Pagan for well over 20. and also pagans dont burn down churches. their apart of the black metal genre and it is primarily satanist. thank you, i do not mean to offend anyone.
ok, my Aunt is a Pagen. she is also a Wicken. so please do not tell me to learn more about somthing i know much about. Pagans do not murder each other, commit suicide in a somone's basemnet leaveing a note saying 'sorry for the mess' and other things. my Aunt is 46 yrs ld and she has been a Pagan for well over 20. and also pagans dont burn down churches. their apart of the black metal genre and it is primarily satanist. thank you, i do not mean to offend anyone.

Sorry I must have forgot to mention in my post that by cheesy I meant "I'm a fundamentalist Christian and believe all satanists are heretics and deserve to be burnt at the stake".
Idk i liked it but not nearly as much as their old stuff.

My Gear:
Quote by sniper_wolf90

No offence taken mate but you really don't know what you are talking about. I am sure your Aunt is a lovely person, and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that. But you can't group all Pagans together. It is just a catch all term for all folk religions. I think you will find that while many of the Black Metal bands used Satan as a shock tatic, at least half of them are in fact Pagans relating to the old Norse gods. And they are annoyed that churches from another religion have been built on sacred ground that was the reason for the burnings.
Its got a few good tracks on it but yeh I think they've downplayed the synths a bit too much and it sounds a lot less unique, whereas there old stuff I think very much stands out for its originality.
Quote by sniper_wolf90

Hahahahahah.

The reason for the burning of the churches is because, up in norway, christianity was forced upon them (mostly), and they wanted to revert back to the pagan religion. They didnt want the christian stuff, thus, burn the church.

about the murder: that's like saying christians dont sin. Anyone can kill anyone. it doesnt matter the religion.

EDIT: Damnit. Beaten to it.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Grimme
Sorry I must have forgot to mention in my post that by cheesy I meant "I'm a fundamentalist Christian and believe all satanists are heretics and deserve to be burnt at the stake".

i actually didnt mean that towards you. i was actually talking to Eladamir. sorry for the confusion
Quote by Grimme
Its got a few good tracks on it but yeh I think they've downplayed the synths a bit too much and it sounds a lot less unique, whereas there old stuff I think very much stands out for its originality.

On that point I agree 100%
Quote by Burning_Angel
Hahahahahah.

The reason for the burning of the churches is because, up in norway, christianity was forced upon them (mostly), and they wanted to revert back to the pagan religion. They didnt want the christian stuff, thus, burn the church.

about the murder: that's like saying christians dont sin. Anyone can kill anyone. it doesnt matter the religion.

EDIT: Damnit. Beaten to it.

i understand that. but look at Mayhem's history my friend, it has had a VERY bloody history. suprisingly Emporer and others like them havnt had it as bad. and i'm not saying anyone or thing is a satanist. i was just trying to prove a point.
Page 1 of 4