ok i started A Penatonic scale like 1 month ago and i mastered it ( and i mastered a way to cut through the scale also) im sick of playing the same thing over again, how do u go to a different scale?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
a scale is not just a pattern. trying doing it on one string, not starting on the root, and learn what note you're playing when you play it.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
A minor pentatonic - across the whole fretboard? If you've "mastered" thescale then you now need to learn how to use it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
A minor pentatonic - across the whole fretboard? If you've "mastered" thescale then you now need to learn how to use it.

im guessing a minor lol its like:

E|---------------------------------------------8-10--|
B|--------------------------------------8--10--------|
G|--------------------------5--7--9------------------|
D|-------------------5--7-----------------------------|
A|------3---5---7-------------------------------------|
E|3--5-------------------------------------------------|
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
That's the blues scale, and it's onlt one postition.

I'm guessing you haven't mastered it if you don't even know its name
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
nvm its a minor. cause my teacher gave me this paper and told me to memorize it. so i did. lol. but i just realized it said a minor on it lol

i know i mastered that and : 1st position (starting on 5th fret) , 2nd position (starting on 7th fret) third (9th fret), 4th (12th fret) and 5th position ( 2nd fret)
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Last edited by MetallicSoul92 at Sep 29, 2007,
Lol I mastered all the pentatonic scales in 2 days or so....I mean c'mon dude...just change the key and do the same pattern again...

Or try the Major scales.

Btw you have not mastered anything until you know that.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
dude, i think i should put this in the musician talk.

wat do u mean change the key??

major is the same exept on 2 different possitions.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
nvm its a minor. cause my teacher gave me this paper and told me to memorize it. so i did. lol. but i just realized it said a minor on it lol

i know i mastered that and : 1st position (starting on 5th fret) , 2nd position (starting on 7th fret) third (9th fret), 4th (12th fret) and 5th position ( 2nd fret)

well considering three of those aren't even A notes I suggest you check out what you're doing.

There are two patterns for string 6 fret five, one pattern for string 4 fret seven, two patterns for string 5 fret twelve, and after that they all repeat.
hold on....
so ur telling me this isnt the patterns:

E|---------------------------------------------3-5--|
B|-------------------------------------3--5---------|
G|--------------------------2--5--------------------|
D|-----------------2--5-----------------------------|
A|---------3---5------------------------------------|
E|3--5----------------------------------------------|

E|-------------------------------------5--8----|
B|-----------------------------5---8-----------|
G|---------------------5--7--------------------|
D|-------------5--7----------------------------|
A|------5--7-----------------------------------|
E|5--8-----------------------------------------|

B|----------------------------------8--10------------|
G|---------------------------7-9----------------------|
D|-------------------7-10----------------------------|
A|---------7--10-------------------------------------|
E|8--10----------------------------------------------|

E|------------------------------------------------10-12--|
B|-------------------------------------10--13------------|
G|----------------------------9-12------------------------|
D|-------------------10-12-------------------------------|
A|---------10-12-----------------------------------------|
E|10-12--------------------------------------------------|

E|-----------------------------------------------12-15--|
B|--------------------------------------13--15----------|
G|----------------------------12--14--------------------|
D|-------------------12--14-----------------------------|
A|---------12-15----------------------------------------|
E|12-15-------------------------------------------------|

and 1 way to cut through:

B|--------------------------------------8--10--------|
G|--------------------------5--7--9------------------|
D|-------------------5--7-----------------------------|
A|------3---5---7-------------------------------------|
E|3--5-------------------------------------------------|
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
i see how he did it. that's weird.

In 5., the 5 on the 6th string is the first note.

In 2., the 7 on the fourth string is the first note.

In 3. and 4., the 12 on the 5th string is the first note.

Those are all A minor pentatonic shapes, but most of them aren't starting on A.
yea i know. he told me that all penatonic scales start with the note u play on (E.G you play like the first note like E, it should be e penatonic.) but ... Hmm..
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
ok so how do i change to a different penatonic scale?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by edg
They don't have to. The finger position is just a finger position.
Those *are* the standard 5 finger positions for pentatonic, major or minor.

well I think it's a good idea to. That way you learn your roots better.
Learn the notes ,not just the shapes, on the fretboard. Then play that pattern through all the keys. After that, learn the major scale. If you have a teacher he should've told you all this.
How Do U Change Patterns?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
They aren't "patterns" as you've learned them- you need to get that idea out of your head. The pentatonic scale of a given key is a 5 note pattern, it repeats itself all over the fretboard and the intervals between the notes remain constant. That's all, just 5 notes....the "patterns" are simply showing you wll the places that particular 5-note pattern occurs.

If you don't even know the notes you're playing then there's little point in learning scales other than as a picking exercise. You need to learn the notes on the fretboard. If you do that you'll be able to see the pattern of notes, and if you can see that and you know the notes on the fretboard then you can play the scale in any key.

You can't learn, let alone master, a scale if you don't even know what notes you're playing...I'm not even sure why your teacher taught it you to be honest if that's the case. That's like teaching someone to read a book wihout teaching them the alphabet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

nobody is getting my question....

wats the difference in penatonic scales? like how do i switch from one to another?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
No one's getting your question, because it doesn't make much sense.
If you want to play a pentatonic in a different key, you just slide the same pattern
to a different fret. You gave the tab for A minor pent. If you wanted to play B minor
pent, you slide any of those patterns up 2 frets. Same pattern, different fret.

I don't know what else you'd likely mean by different pentatonic.
Quote by MetallicSoul92
nobody is getting my question....

wats the difference in penatonic scales? like how do i switch from one to another?

That's the point, there is no difference - any scale is a repeating pattern of intervals between notes that remains constant over the whole fretboard and applies for any key. If you know the *ugh* boxes for A minor pent then all you need to do is transpose the pattern and locate a different root note to play in a differnt key.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They aren't "patterns" as you've learned them- you need to get that idea out of your head. The pentatonic scale of a given key is a 5 note pattern, it repeats itself all over the fretboard and the intervals between the notes remain constant. That's all, just 5 notes....the "patterns" are simply showing you wll the places that particular 5-note pattern occurs.

If you don't even know the notes you're playing then there's little point in learning scales other than as a picking exercise. You need to learn the notes on the fretboard. If you do that you'll be able to see the pattern of notes, and if you can see that and you know the notes on the fretboard then you can play the scale in any key.

You can't learn, let alone master, a scale if you don't even know what notes you're playing...I'm not even sure why your teacher taught it you to be honest if that's the case. That's like teaching someone to read a book wihout teaching them the alphabet.

I disagree with that. I think there is nothing wrong with learning the patterns before learning what notes they contain, the theory can come later. Its like when you first learn the open position chords, how many beginners learn what notes make up these chords?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
either way, the minor pentatonic is hardly an advanced technique.
Too cool for a signature.
ok so all i need to do is move up and down a couple frets?

THANK YOU!
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
ok so all i need to do is move up and down a couple frets?

THANK YOU!

Whoa, hold on. Just moving the formation up two frets and calling it B key won't help you. If you want to master the scale, you have to understand it. There are three things you need to know to understand the basic of the pentatonic scales.

1. They are not called position 1, position 2, etc. They all have specific names. They are called E form, D form, C form, A form, and G form, respectively. You might think that it doesn't matter, but memorizing the real names will help you understand the whole composition of the scale. You'll see why in a minute.

2. The reason that the scales you are currently playing are in the key of A is because the root notes of the scale are all A notes. Take the E form in the key of A for example. The root notes of this scale are 6th string/5th fret, 4th string/7th fret, and 1st string/5th fret. All of these notes are A notes. If you move the scale up two frets into the key of B, the root notes are now also B notes. And so on and so on.

3. This is a very important thing to know and relates what I wrote in #1 to what I wrote in #2. Why is the E form called the E form, and why are the root notes where they are? Well, let's take a look at a basic E chord:

---0---
---0---
---1---
---2---
---2---
---0---

ZOMFG!!!one!!wahn! The root notes of the E chord are all Es and they are in the same formation as the root notes of the E form pentatonic scale!!!!one!

That's no coincidence. It's all for a reason. The pentatonic scales are all just patterns, but not because of their note organization, as you can see. The root notes of the E chord were the root notes because they were all of the E notes occurring in the chord. So the root notes of the scale are all of the occurrences of the note at key in the scale. And the position of the root notes varies in the different forms and correspond to the root notes of the chord for that form (the root notes of D form, for example, correspond to the position of the root notes basic D chord). Here's what I recommend:

1. Now that you understand the reasoning behind keys, forms, root notes, and scales, practice the different scales in their different keys. It will help you memorize the fretboard and its patterns.

2. Do research on the internet and find the root notes for the other 4 scale formations, and compare them to their corresponding chord. This will, once again, help you understand the guitar. This is the first step of understanding theory. Congrats .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Ahh, sorry.. it's kind of hard to see but I bolded the root notes of the E chord and it's hard to notice. It wouldn't let me edit right now so but I thought I should point that out.

Well, while I'm posting, here's a basic D chord and its root notes. Just like I siad they do, their formation corresponds the the D form scale (or position 2 for some of you).

---2---
---3--- <root note
---2---
---0--- <root note
--------
--------

D form pentatonic minor in the key of A:
------------------------------------8-10-----
----------------------------8-10-------------
----------------------7-9--------------------
---------------7-10--------------------------
--------7-10---------------------------------
-8-10----------------------------------------

Locate the two bolded notes on the fret board and notice how they correspond to the root notes in the D chord.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
ooo ok so the first note u hit in the form is the Form of (insert Note here) Scale?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Well, you already know the forms. I was just explaining why the forms are what they are. The pattern of the root notes determine which form is which. Again, this is just to help you understand the construct of the forms. I explained in poorly (I'm a terrible teacher ) so if you really want to understand everything about the pentatonic scales you should Google it or something .
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
^^^ You may just be adding confusion to the whole thing. C,A,G,E,D "forms"
can be somewhat as arbitrary as giving finger positions.

For instance the form you gave could also be the "E" form of C Pent Major. Same
thing.

Another confusion is I think you mean the key of A *minor* (or C major). You could
have shown that your "D" form position actually contains the same shape a D minor
(root, 3 and 5) rather than D major (only the roots).

Further confusion is that the key of A minor also contains 2 other pentatonic scales!
But, I won't begin to touch that one here.

Anyway, just a quibble. Use whatever terminology works for you. I'm just saying
there's nothing inherently wrong with just calling them finger positions if that's
what works and you know how they relate.
Quote by MetallicSoul92
ooo ok so the first note u hit in the form is the Form of (insert Note here) Scale?

A lot of people look at scales and finger positions that way, but I think that's a bad
way to think about it.

It's better I think to just think of finger positions as ways of accessing notes up
and down the neck. How you USE those notes is everything and the root note
doesn't HAVE to be anywhere. Because, if you look at the tab you gave for the
5 finger positions, it IS A minor pentatonic. But, and this may be a stretch for you,
it IS also C major pentatonic. Same exact notes and fingering. But, the roots
(and all other scale degrees) are completely different.
MetallicSoul, your teacher is teaching you correctly. You learned the 5 basic patterns and then the diagonal pattern. Those would all be good notes to play in A minor. The whole thing fits together like one giant roadmap on the fretboard. It's the same 5 notes repeated all over the fretboard. Keep that in mind. You can play them in any order your want.

To move to another key simply move pattern one to another location on the fretboard and wherever you place it at is the key you are playing in, for exaomle, instead of playing at the fifth fret, move the first pattern o the third fret and you will be playing G minor instead. I don't think you need to know all of the notes immediatley or the CAGED shapes to get use from the scale. I would recommend learning the root notes though. I have a pentatonic lesson with the root notes circled on the diagrams on my website at http://www.paultauterouff.com/articles.html You may find it helpful to tie things together for you.
Last edited by Paul Tauterouff at Oct 1, 2007,
ty paul im goin there now.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
it sounds like hes talking about modes. pentatonic doesnt have modes though does it? im still pretty new myself but i just learend the major scales like 2 weeks ago, i suggest u do that dude. theyre way the hell more versatile