Anyone have any tips on making metal songs, riffs, or solos. I have trouble thinking of them but i did make one ok song.
i personally like it when i drop to like d and play the lowest powerchords (D,D#,E)
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
man, play some chords that sound heavy. normaly low chords like , and you can also make riffs out of scale runs like Jump in the Fire by Metallica, or Cowboys from Hell by Pantera

also slow chords thet make a heavy combination like Iron Man by Black Sabbath or Crazy Train by Ozzy

you can also do alead part and turn it into a riff like The Trooper by Iron Maiden or make a bass riff and put a lead part that leads to a guitar riff like Peace sells by Magadeth

you can also play a muted string and some slided chords like Battery by Metallica or a muted string and some notes like Seek and Destroy by Metallica.

maybe you can use the muted string technique above but with someting played to give more character to the song like Mouth For War by Pantera

another oxample would be playing a chord repeatedly and adding a phrase in the end like 1:34 of Cemetery Gates by Pantera

well those are my main ideas for riffs, but or solos, i just improvise somethin that goes along with the song
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 29, 2007,
Use the techniques mentioned above. For a dark sound, use the to minor modes, or phrygian dominant. Or maybe some chromatics...
....and concentrate on the b2 and b5 intervals, they sound evil.
I think really tight riffs higher up on the neck sound heavy too, look at Iced Earth for examples.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Trying using the harmonic minor scale, and its modes, like the phyrgian dominant.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by insideac
My only advice is to stay far FAR from away Pentatonics and Major scales

Not really. Pentatonic bits are very key in thrash and groove metal. (though we all know those aren't anywhere near kvlt enough )