Guys I jsut put a new set of Zakk's new Dulop 10-60's on and WOW they are sweet! But now I was looking around on the web and found this....he strings the string over his tail piece anyone else ever try it? I think next set it do will be like this.
Attachments:
gibson-custom-bullseye-aged.jpg
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
I've been doing it for a couple weeks now and I like it. I don't think it makes much of a difference but I don't have any problems with it so i'm just gonna stick with it. Seems like my bends are easier with it like that but maybe i'm just getting better at bends..
Ya... doesn't really matter, just a part of his sig look
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
i think he does that so that the strings aren't at as much of an angle when they come out of the tailpiece and over the bridge, which will likely reduce breakage at that point
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
i think he does that so that the strings aren't at as much of an angle when they come out of the tailpiece and over the bridge, which will likely reduce breakage at that point

But that would also reduce sustain...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
lets the strings resonate more into the bridge, slightly fuller sounding, not a big difference, but some. there's actually a company which makes tailpieces with grooves in it so you can do that easier, but its like 60$ so whatever
Quote by Shinozoku

i don't know, i've never tried it. it seems to work for Zakk
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
he uses like a warparound tailpiece, that reduces some sustain but gives better control in bends and the angle the strings go trough the tailpiece isnt that abrubt if you have a very low or high action
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Shinozoku

true, and it wont affect how easily the strings can break at all. zakk has a brain, he knows to change out his strings a lot, like youre supposed to
it also helps it stay in tune a bit better i believe
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I do it, and I think it makes bends a little easier because less downward tension is applied to the saddles, meaning they pull easier. When I change the strings, I just do it out of habit now.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
mneh i dont wanna try it, im not really open minded to minor changements, and also i use the zakk wylde 11s, they sick, and i think theyre gonna rip my bridge out lol
Why does everyone say it reduces sustain? I don't see how it would?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Its a psychological thing. People who think it will improve sustain, will say it will. and people saying it wont, wont.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

now that i think of it more...im wondering why his sig guitars dont come set up like that? that pic was one of his "aged" model....hmm think i may just leave it as is LOL
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Quote by sobeisbull
true, and it wont affect how easily the strings can break at all. zakk has a brain, he knows to change out his strings a lot, like youre supposed to

YES IT WILL thats the reason Zakk himself does it. He even talks about it in the video below. He talks how he breaks far less strings doing it that way because of the angle in which they go through the tail piece but in his method they are almost straight across the sharp parts.

Next time if you don't have a clue then don't post, muppet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrewpOyt5KE
great video...yeah just to help stop breaking strings...hmm i think i may try this next string change...
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Theres a different tailpiece for running the strings over the top. It has the dents for the ball ends on both sides. The one I saw was 36 bucks. And its not a new trick jimmy page was doing long ago and Im sure he got the idea from somebody else. As for sustain thats all up to a persons ear but Im sure it would do alot for string breakage.
This isn't anything new, and yes if the angle is too steep you will break strings like mad.

I know its a different style bridge but tunomatic bridge style didn't come in till 55 or 56 or something.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i know this thread is dirt old but i figured i'd reopen it.

I've also heard of the same technique except you go under the bridge instead of over it. After trying both i've found that doing it under the bridge has much for of an effect that over it tbh. Bending is much easier, and yes it does improve sustain.
Yeah, very old thread.

You know you can raise or lower that piece so the strings go over the saddle as a different angle, right?
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
It's hard to find a picture showing this, but when the tailpiece is lowered all the way to the body it gives the best sustain. However the strings usually rub against the base of the bridge before they reach the saddles, that's what my Flying V does right now.

Whenever you wrap them around the tailpiece they don't do that

EDIT: I just realized how old this was
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 14, 2010,
Honestly I don't really think it's even necessary for a Les Paul. I think it's a much more effective technique with an SG, cause of their lack of sustain.
Yay necrobumping.

I've tried it both ways for Les Pauls (Epi, Gibson and three copy brands), SGs (Epi and a ocuple of copy brands), an Epi Dot and now a Firebird (Epi), and I have never, ever noticed any difference in sustain or tone in any of the guitars when restrinigng the guitar this way. The only thing I do notice is the slightly lower tension when bending strings when the strings are wrapped around the tailpiece. This could also be done by just raising the height of the tailpiece very slightly. In theory, wrapping them over this way or raising the tailpiece should lower sustain and give less precise response, but I'm buggered if I can hear any difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
My understanding of this method is that it mainly adds more string tension as his scale length is actually longer with it strung that way instead of directly through the bridge.

Anyone care to elaborate?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
pretty sure duane allman has been doing that forever.

i tried it. havent had any increased or decreaed issue. aparently, it is supposed to slightly loosen the strings and create more overtones. however i really cant tell the difference.

besides from looking cool/different, being harder to string (slightly more to worry about) the main thing is that the strings create a bridge between the saddles and teh stop peices, allowing you to rest your hand on it. if you palm mute, this is a dream.
Quote by srob7001
My understanding of this method is that it mainly adds more string tension as his scale length is actually longer with it strung that way instead of directly through the bridge.

Anyone care to elaborate?
Incorrect and actually the opposite. Scale length is from the nut to the bridge saddles, not the tailpiece. Wrapping the strings over the top of the tailpiece like this lessens the break angle over the saddles, which doesn't really effect the string tension much when just plucking the strings normally or doing light vibrato but it will give them a very slightly looser feel when bending them a step or more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Incorrect and actually the opposite. Scale length is from the nut to the bridge saddles, not the tailpiece. Wrapping the strings over the top of the tailpiece like this lessens the break angle over the saddles, which doesn't really effect the string tension much when just plucking the strings normally or doing light vibrato but it will give them a very slightly looser feel when bending them a step or more.

MrFibble to the rescue....thank you for clearing that up...for me at least.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by MrFlibble

I think break angle makes a pretty big difference to string tension, obviously it wont change the scale length, but part of the reason the strings on my jag feel so slack is to do with the really low break angle. Same thing with the jazzmaster which has a standard 25.5" scale length.

As for the wrap around bridge thing, couldnt you accomplish the same from just raising the tailpeice?
i haven't tried this, so i'm definitely not speaking from experience here. but i can't think it actually adds to string tension at all if bends are easier. thats kind of a contradiction. plus bends are easy enough on a 24.75" scale i think. don't know why you'd want to potentially sacrifice sustain for a slightly easier bend. just my thoughts
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Shinozoku

This is totally incorrect. All it does is change the break angle over the bridge. People argue it increases sustain due to greater contact with the tail piece.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
not to mention can help lower the stop bar almost all teh way.

my guitar is set up right now and the stop bar and the TOM part are almost all the way lowered right on the body (TOM peice is raised a bit, it pretty much has to be).
what it does is it loosens the strings making it easier to do wide bends and vibrato- it doesnt effect tone but it does improve playing- if you do a lot of bends anyways
if you raise the tail piece you will lose sustain- going over the tailpiece you cut the tension without losing sustain
Necro bump, a double post?

Damn.

So I dont get done for spam.

I felt no difference when I tried this

*Reported*

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I know in Superterrorizer, Zakk uses the strings behind the tune-o-matic bridge, maybe he does it for tonal reasons?

Edit; damn necrobump got me....
from my experience of doing it, it makes the stings feel a bit saggier, other than that, not much difference IMO