I have an Ibanez RG350EX and I would like some new Pickups for it.

After extensive searching Ive found Swineshead pickups and they interest me. Ive heard nothing but good things about them around here, but Id like to know if they are on par with the likes of Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan?

Also my favourites, judging from the soundclicps, are the Xbucker for the bridge, Dragonfly for the single coil, and the Warthog for the neck. I play metal mostly but would like enough versatility to do nice clean stuff as well (unlike with my EMGs).

Anything better out there or have I chosen something good for once?
Quote by littlemurph7976
I have an Ibanez RG350EX and I would like some new Pickups for it.

After extensive searching Ive found Swineshead pickups and they interest me. Ive heard nothing but good things about them around here, but Id like to know if they are on par with the likes of Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan?

Also my favourites, judging from the soundclicps, are the Xbucker for the bridge, Dragonfly for the single coil, and the Warthog for the neck. I play metal mostly but would like enough versatility to do nice clean stuff as well (unlike with my EMGs).

Anything better out there or have I chosen something good for once?

the xbucker is pretty over the top..you might find you need to roll back on your amp gain. Venoms seem good...im going with bareknuckles tho.
much nicer than duncans (the standard range, and the ones I've tried) if you ask me EDIT: dimarzio too. some will disagree, but yeah, that's my opinion at any rate.

what type of metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc
much nicer than duncans (the standard range, and the ones I've tried) if you ask me EDIT: dimarzio too. some will disagree, but yeah, that's my opinion at any rate.

what type of metal?

Im aiming for a tone similar to Machine Heads from The Blackening but I dont want to go active, I wanna try something new.

What do you think of that combination?
I'm thinking about getting a Warthog in the bridge and a Condor in the neck. The clips sound great don't they?

I emailed the guy and he said the pickups are played in a Les Paul through a Marshall AVT.

Not sure if those pickups would cut metal though, but the guy in the E-mail certainly thought they would.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Yeah the clips sound awesome, I love the pinchy in the Xbucker clip lol I don't doubt they would do metal from what Ive heard.
I'll only use the Bridge for metal distortion anyway and the neck probably too, but for other lighter stuff aswell, and I like using the single coil for cleans so do you think theyre a good combination?
I was thinking about coil tapping both humbuckers as well just for the extra variety. That would work wouldn't it? I have no clue how to wire a coil tap
Quote by littlemurph7976
Im aiming for a tone similar to Machine Heads from The Blackening but I dont want to go active, I wanna try something new.

What do you think of that combination?

from what i hear, the venoms have more an 80's metal tone.

I think you want an xbucker for that, but bear in mind it's overkill (from what i hear) for anything much lighter, and also may sound too dark in your guitar (you'd need to email jon @ swineshead to see what he says).

the warthog will do metal if you have a really metal amp- but if you know you're going to mostly play modern metal, it makes sense to get something heavier. The warthog is for someone who wants to play everything from classic rock to modern metal, and everything in-between, in roughly equal amounts, in my opinion.

they come as 4 conductor pickups, as far as I know, so coil splitting is an option. Wiring in parallel is also an option, for less gain and slightly more sparkle (not as much as coil splitting though), while still being hum-free.

i'd probably go with a warthog or runaway in the neck, so you have at least a little versatility, but obviously you know what you want from your neck pickup more than i do.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Venom and its awesome for anything from classic rock to all out death metal. Its a more balanced pickup than the Xbucker which is very bass heavy.

It also has a pretty good clean sound for a ceramic bucker.

I have sound clips but they're recorded through the line out of a Vox AD30Vt which sucks compared to going through the speaker.

http://www.esnips.com/web/venom

Excuse the **** playing, it was a while ago.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
I have a Venom and its awesome for anything from classic rock to all out death metal. Its a more balanced pickup than the Xbucker which is very bass heavy.

It also has a pretty good clean sound for a ceramic bucker.

I have sound clips but they're recorded through the line out of a Vox AD30Vt which sucks compared to going through the speaker.

http://www.esnips.com/web/venom

Excuse the **** playing, it was a while ago.

Hey thats not bad, nice bit of Metallica and Trivium

Judging from what you, and Dave have said, I think Im gunna go for a Vemon instead of the Xbucker.

So itll be:
Bridge - Venom
Middle - Dragonfly
Neck - Warthog
that sounds pretty good. just email jon to make sure that combo will work for the tones you want, and with the woods of your guitar (i'm sure it will, just best to make sure).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi,
I'm also interested in the Swineshead PUs. I play an Ibanez RGA121 (which sounds rather bright - mahogany wood.) through a Peavey Valveking 112 and mostly Hard-, Bluesrock and Metal. So I need a relative versatile sound.. Here my ideas:

bridge:

-Warthog: Do I get enough gain out of it to play nice high-gain metal stuff?
-Xbucker: Exactly the opposite: I hope it's not too high-gain and makes problems with the more laid-back Bluesrock stuff.
-Venom: I heard it's a good allrounder. But here my fear: Doesn't it sound way too unorganic for the sound I want?

neck:

-Warthog: Maybe when Xbucker comes in bridge, that the contrast in output isn't too big
-Runaway, Condor: Which one is more suitable for my stuff and gives me a warm, creamy leadtone with nice sustain?

Thanks alot, buddies!
Last edited by Bator at Oct 5, 2007,
i'll do the best I can as I haven't tried all of those. I have tried your guitar, though, and I agree it's bright. Much brighter than you'd expect for mahogany- I blame (blame's not the right word; it sounds badass!) the thick maple top and bolt-on maple neck, perhaps the bridge too, though doubtless it could be anything.

Bridge:

warthog: yes, it'll do high gain metal if your amp has enough gain, and enough of a modern sound. However, if you know this is all you'll be playing, I'd look at something with more gain. I describe the (bridge) warthog as the pickup to go for if you play equal percentages of everything from classic rock to modern metal, with everything in-between. it's a (great) jack of all trades pickup, basically. There isn't really anything you CAN'T play with it, though obviously if you only want the one tone there are other pickups which may be better (though the warthog does excel at 80's rock and melodic shred (e.g. satch)).

xbucker: i haven't tried it, but i hear it's uncompromising, out-and-out dark-sounding metal. "metallica black album in a pickup", i've heard it described as from a former veteran from these boards, and he says it's only good for modern metal, with next to no versatility- and he's a total metaller! So yeah, if you want any versatility at all, it might not be a wise choice, unless you're willing to use your neck pickup for that.

venom: again, i haven't tried it, but i fear it might be. also, i hear it's a bright pickup, so again it might not be what you want.

How much versatility do you want, basically?

Neck:

i haven't tried it, but yeah, if you went xbucker in the bridge, i'd probably go warthog in the neck.

runaway/condor: when i emailed jon @ swineshead, he told me:

"The condor will give the clearest clean tone and with distortion you can hear each individual note (which is goood for alternate picking). Therunaway neck will give a warmer clean tone with more mids. Because it has alittle bit more output it tends to give a smoother sound through distortionwith less pick noise giving a more legato tone to a lot of runs."

(good job i checked my emails for that, I thought he told me the opposite )

I went with the warthog/spotlight/condor set (the condor clip sold me, and i'm glad it did! it's badass! i also wanted a vintage single coil tone (yep, the spotlight does that), and a versatile bridge pickup for everything between classic rock and modern metal (yup, warthog delivers, but it's not super-hot- even something like a jb or tone zone, IMO, is noticeably hotter).

anyway: basically, your best bet is to email jon @ swineshead. Most of us have only tried one or two of his pickups, so really can't say with any real certainty which is the best; though obviously we could have a guess. My guess is warthog bridge with runaway neck, if your amp has enough gain for you already.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 5, 2007,
Wow, you're awesome. Thanks alot!

Yeah, I think Warthog in the bridge is the best choice and about Runaway or Condor in the neck I'm gonna send Jon a mail...

Maybe I'm gonna order another Xbucker for my other guitar.
Last edited by Bator at Oct 6, 2007,
no problem. and if jon says anything which disagrees with what I've said, go with jon's recommendation, obviously!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?