How does sampling work out? I wanna play some samples mid song. So obviously, the drummer needs to be playing with a click, but how can it be worked out?

Thanks
What kind of samples do you want to use. Details ?

As a rule, the sample would have to be the same tempo as your song, or pitchshifted or stretched to be same tempo.
There is poetry in despair.
I'd like to create the samples myself, and use them mid song. For example, say I'd want to add strings to a song during a live performance, but there are not enough band members to do this, so I'd record the strings prior and sample them mid song
when i saw this thread name, i thought it was gonna be out sampling stuff and dancing around the food court. shame...
Oh, I understand. I thought you wanted to use sections of existing released tracks. Well, then you would just have to create the sample and then load it onto a live sampler I think.
How do those work? I'm new to the world of this stuff, but I'd like to get it going. Any tutorials or anyhting would save my life. Thanks
I'm not too au fait with sampling myself (yet). You might want to try the Riffs and Recordings forum, or check www.tweakheadz.com (I think that's it).

Basically, I'm pretty sure you could load them onto a sampling unit, then hook that up to the PA system live.
I'm unsure as to how to ensure that the samples and the song would start at the same time, to get the samples in the right spot in the songs.

Tweakheadz hasn't done much for me as far as i can see, unfortunately
Is there a way to have it automated so a person doesn't need to be at a turntable? What I'm hoping for is something you can press play on, it cues the drummer in, then the song starts and as the click is going (so its all on perfect timing, but only the drummer hears the click) and on certain programmed timing intervals, a sound file will play. and another at a different interval, etc
Quote by yatta
Is there a way to have it automated so a person doesn't need to be at a turntable? What I'm hoping for is something you can press play on, it cues the drummer in, then the song starts and as the click is going (so its all on perfect timing, but only the drummer hears the click) and on certain programmed timing intervals, a sound file will play. and another at a different interval, etc

You can get an MPC, like said, or you could just hire someone out for that one song to come up and play keyboards.
If you can play the strings yourself and buy a 100$ loop pedal you can do what Andrew Bird does and sample yourself live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyQgBFl7mc
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Would someone be able to link me to some info on MPCs? I wanna be able to do more than just play strings, I wanna be able to sample vocal layers and the sort as well.