it was only when i went over to my friends place and we plugged in our amps (he has a Sovtek Mig 100 bassov blues boy and matching cab for his bass and i have a Carvin Bel Air 212) did i notice how bassy my amp was....i tried turning the bass down and then i tried turning the tone on my guitar up but nothing worked..itjust kept producing this really heavy sound and i didn't know how to get rid of it.

any ideas on what this could be? and possibly how i could change it?

i mean it sounded awesome...but i don't want that sound all the time. any help would be greatly appreciated
That's the way the amp is voiced. You could try an EQ pedal in the effects loop. Gives you much more control over tone in general and a little boost if you need it.
definitely an eq pedal. dials out anything you don't like
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
My Mesa MKIII amp is really dark sounding. It's really deep in the lowend. What I did was get an EQ pedal and put it right after the guitar itself. My EMG 85 pumps out too much bass and low mid so I lowered them a little bit and pumped the mids up. The amp itself sounded the same way, which is how I like because I spent a while on my tone, but the really deep basses are gone, giving the sound more clarity.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Maybe a slight difference, but definitely not enough. but as said before, an EQ in the effects loop is the way to go. It can voice your amp about anyway you like.
so what are some other things i could do to help this?

mess around with magnet heights?
new pots? oh higher value perhaps?
jimmy page wah technique? leaving it doe down?

i really need some other suggestions coz if i gota eq pedal..it'd be a long time before i got one and i'd like it if i could fix it myself with a few tweaks
Can't really think of anything that'd really help that you can do yourself. I'd say go with the EQ pedal, the Behringer EQ is (from what I've heard) surprisingly good, some people even say it's better than the Boss (although it's nowhere near as sturdy).
i just had a thought...would this sound change if say...i got a strat? coz i just bought a hollow strat body and it ill become my next guitar so...if i'm going to have the same problem wit the strat then i'll buy an eq but if it's gone with the strat then i won't worry about it
It could very well have had to do with the room acoustics and size of the room. In a larger room, you could be very glad to have the extra bottom end.
get some dimarzio evos or a SD dimebucker.both are really trebly
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Wait and see how it acts in different rooms, and you may try lowering the bass sides of the pickups, putting the pickup closer to the 1st string and further from the 6th string. I do the opposite, I want more bass, and both my amps get lots of good highs, so I have to tweak the pickup height to dial in the tone I want, and I use a Fender Champ for that, it's nice because I can just crank all the knobs all the way to the right and go.... And definitely wait until you try it on the strat before making any amp changes.

I like lots of bottom end myself, I want it to sound like an 8 foot bulldog barking behind me when I hit a low A or E. I have trouble finding amps that will give me enough bottom end, but my '73 Super Reverb does it quite nicely, I actually don't have to crank the bass to 10 and the mids to at least 7 for once...Actually the Silverface CBS Fenders had too much bass - loud, boomy and uncontrollable with the bass knob on 2 or 3, I had to change a capacitor to tone it down a bit, now it's great. That's what I have to do to get enough bass out of my Peavey MX, great amp, I love the cleans, but I have to lean on the tone knobs to get enough bottom end for me. I'm about to start looking at 4x12 cabs to see if I can get better low end out of it onstage. Also thinking about checking into the capacitor trick...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
my peavey cab is real bassy. the easy fix is using another guitar, strat would probably work but this is just a band aid really. The eq idea is a good one, use an eq in the fx loop if possible if no fx loop then toward the end of your chain(in the fx loop allows for the full signal from the amplifier to be EQ'd, but if you put it before the amp the signal will still be colored by it ), i use a dod fx40 cuz it's cheap, no need to go expensive. the room your playing in could also be the culprit, also standing near your amp while you play makes the amp sound much different than when you step away from it, a little distance might make a difference. You can also try elevating the cab. i play my 2x12 on top of a 4x12 and i can hear the highs and mids much more that way, also elevating it keeps the amp from tranferring all sound to the room it is in, i've heard it called "acoustic coupling" i have heard many claim that it gives fatter low end, so try raising it off the ground.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Paleo Pete
Wait and see how it acts in different rooms, and you may try lowering the bass sides of the pickups, putting the pickup closer to the 1st string and further from the 6th string.

doesn't this decrease sustain on the treble strings? coz the magnets are closer and therefore have more pull on the strings?
Just buy a nice eq pedal.... Plug your guitar into the eq pedal, and the pedal into the amp. Put the amp on the settings you normally use for your sound. Then go back and alter the eq pedal until you get the tone that those settings should sound like to you.
Quote by Eggmond
get some dimarzio evos or a SD dimebucker.both are really trebly

Eww, not the Dimebucker. You're using a mahogany guitar into a 2x12", so it's always going to sound darkish. Try a JB in the bridge and it will lighten your tone up a lot.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
It should sound more bass heavy because you have the volume higher. When you cut the volume higher your bass frequencies come more into play compared to the other frequencies, which usually dominate more at lower volumes.

Mess with the EQ first, guitar adjustments second, consider buying stuff (EQ pedal, new pickups) last
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
doesn't this decrease sustain on the treble strings? coz the magnets are closer and therefore have more pull on the strings?

Not if you don't get them too close. It would tend to pull the strings out of tune more than dampen the vibrations and affect sustain, but it probably would affect sustain too. In general you don't want the pickups closer than aout 1/8 to 3/16 inch fromt he strings, but it depends on the guitar, pickup, string gauge and pickup position. The bridge pickup can be a bit closer because it sits at a point where the string's vibrational pattern is narrowest. The neck pickup must be further away because the string vibrates in a wider pattern and the magnets can alter that pattern easier.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...