I want to start doing some upgrades on my squier. My next guitar is probably 2-3 Straight-A report cards away, so in the interim I wanted to upgrade my Squier to more suit the kind of music I play.

I play a lot of metal/progressive music (All That Remains, Architects, Coheed & Cambria, Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Machine Head, etc) and I was considering buying a new pickguard and a humbucker and turning the Squier into a real fat-strat, but the cost/difficulty of doesn't really work for me.

So for what I want (a heavier sound), would hot rails (link ) do the job? The whole "fits in my current pickguard aspect" is really appealing, but are there any caveats I should be aware of? Will I have to modify any other part of the guitar (like the pots) to make this modification work? Thanks in advance, guys.

PS. PLEASE don't discuss whether or not modding a Squier is worth the money, whether or not fat strats are real strats, etc.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Moding a squire is totaly worth the money, all I have to say is don't get your parts mixed up, I just put some vintage noiseless pickups in my squire and I've already rewired the pots twice, and I need to again later.
Depending on the model of your Squier, you may or may not have to replace or tweak the PG.

There are so many models and manufacturers for the SSS Squiers: MII, MIC, MIK, MIM, and MIJ.

Making it fit should be pretty straightforward, assuming your PG route is a bit smaller. Usually, judicious use of a Dremel will fix it.

Good Luck!

Sorry, I should have given a bit more info. My Squier is a Squier Affinity "Crafted" in Indonesia. The inside is routed for H/S/H and the pickguard is, of course, SSS. So I know it will work, technically speaking, but does anyone think hot rails are a bad choice?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
As long as they're not in the neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Nonsense, I've got 3 hotrails in my Squier and I love the tone that comes out of it. Despite my love for my Squier, I would suggest not putting hotrails in it because you are getting a new guitar later. I wouldn't put the money into upgrading an old guitar if you know you're going to get a new one soon/later.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
He said 2/3 straight A report cards away, that like saying "Dont preactice today cos tomorrow you're re-hearsing with your band"

Its way worth it, if he does get a new guitar the day after he puts them in, he has a back-up/alternate tuning guitar/guita for different sounds.

Anyway I'd say its a good idea, not what I'd do but I dont only play metal and progressive but that does seem a good idea, but also look into other brands that do similar pickups.

Also it SHOULD be a quick job. Hell putting a humbucker in there would be a quick job! But with more work
Quote by Punk_Ninja
He said 2/3 straight A report cards away, that like saying "Dont preactice today cos tomorrow you're re-hearsing with your band"

Its way worth it, if he does get a new guitar the day after he puts them in, he has a back-up/alternate tuning guitar/guita for different sounds.

Anyway I'd say its a good idea, not what I'd do but I dont only play metal and progressive but that does seem a good idea, but also look into other brands that do similar pickups.

Also it SHOULD be a quick job. Hell putting a humbucker in there would be a quick job! But with more work

False analogy. The analogy you used holds no context towards getting what I just said. If you were to make an analogy to it, it would be more like, "Don't upgrade so and so, because you're going to get a new so and so soon." Which to me makes perfect sense. So I stand by what I said.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
wont getting 3 new single coils cost more than say, 1 humbucker and a new scratch plate? And it would probably work better for your type of music.
My upgrade (probably a hardtail dinky) is far away and when it comes I'd like to still have a respectable backup axe that can give me decent single-coil sound while still satisfying my musical needs now.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by Generalpwnt
False analogy. The analogy you used holds no context towards getting what I just said. If you were to make an analogy to it, it would be more like, "Don't upgrade so and so, because you're going to get a new so and so soon." Which to me makes perfect sense. So I stand by what I said.

Yes your analagy is very very correct, if he was to get a new guitar soon. But it's long away, but it's still worth modding even if it isnt.

And I know how bad it can get not having a guitar you like and he'll like it once it's modded.
Quote by *kas
PS. PLEASE don't discuss whether or not modding a Squier is worth the money, whether or not fat strats are real strats, etc.

Quote by *kas
Quoting myself teehee.

--
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I say just get one for the bridge. Save the pickup you take out just in case you ever want to put the hotrail in another guitar. I've got an old '92 squire I'm fixing up and I'm gonna use a dimarzio sc humbucker (not sure which one...it was in the neck position w/ a full tone size tone zone in the bridge...which is now in my mim)

IMO they sound ok in the neck but not great...I say keep the stock neck and mid pups and just put the sc sized hum in the bridge.
^Thanks for the opinion, I was looking at those too.

Also, nice custom user title
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I'd go DiMarzio instead of Seymour Duncan. For example, a Chopper in the bridge and then 2 Fast Track 2 pickups would work.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'd go DiMarzio instead of Seymour Duncan. For example, a Chopper in the bridge and then 2 Fast Track 2 pickups would work.

Other way around. The Fast Track 2 is the higher output one, and is better at the bridge. Now the chopper is a bit less output, and is good for all positions. I'd go for a Chopper Neck, Pro Track Middle and Fast Track 2 Bridge.

And BTW, I have a spare Pro Track with me.